Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that are planning to get new tires for your chrome clad wheels be aware that the shop should balance the tire from the inside of the wheel meaning they should use an adapter from the inside and have the adapter on the wheel and not on the chrome clad hole. The shop should not balance the tires on the chrome clad hole because it is not necessarily in the center of the wheel because the chrome clad is a "plastic" cover that goes over the wheel itself. That is why the shop should put the adapter from the inside and on the wheel.

Be very weary when going to places like Firestone. I had my tires balanced there and they balanced the tire from the outside and put the adapter on the chrome clad hole. The technician showed me that the tire and wheel was "wobbly". He said the tire is defective and I should take it back. I talked to the store manager and told him that they should balance the wheel using an adapter from the inside and he said it doesn't matter because the machine says 0 so it's balanced. I immediatly got a refund and brought it to a small shop and balanced the tire correctly.

So if you had your tires replaced and balanced, and you experience the steering wheel shaking or vibrating at 60+ MPH then you might want to have the tires rebalanced.

SF_JEEP

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had my dealer re-balance my tires multiple times (road-force balanced even) and then they replaced them. I still have a little vibration at 70-80MPH. It is irritating!! I would just go 80+ but I'm not sure which would cost more the fuel or the lawer bills!!! I have a buddy with a shop. I'll see what he says. THANKS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SF I had a hard time when bought new tires on my '06 Comm. to the point Jeep finally advised chrome rims "Must" be balanced using "ROAD FORCE" latest equipment. My dealer had same it's been smooth driving ever since. Good Luck

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well I think my vibration is gone! I was off-road and really wacked the transfer case cross member. The cross member is pushed back just a tad. I was keeping an eye on things for a few days after and all else seems well. Not sure what to do now though.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I got the new Duelers on and saw exactly the same thing as SF JEEP stated above. The shop I was at didn't have the correct shape adapter that would fit the hole in the rim without bottoming against the crome clad cover so we took one of my wheel spacers off and mounted that to the balancing machine. It worked great.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I just had new tires installed. I took the XK to work today and got the vibration at 60. Will have to take in and get rebalanced.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the input because I'm planning to buy tires next month from 4Wheel Parts.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I went to a local wheel and tire shop today to rebalance the wheels, I ended up purchasing the Moto Metal M0950. It will be in next Wednesday.

·
Registered
324 Posts
CrzCajun said:
I went to a local wheel and tire shop today to rebalance the wheels, I ended up purchasing the Moto Metal M0950. It will be in next Wednesday.
Those are nice...and now you can sell me your old chrome wheels:)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
my800 said:
Those are nice...and now you can sell me your old chrome wheels:)
Send me a PM with a price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too had the death wobble at 70mph with new Toyo tires. Went to three different shops and none of them could balance the chrome cladded wheels without the proper adapter. Dealer recommeded that I go to a shop with "road-force balancing" and directed me to Discount Tire. Discount Tire employed the assistance of the Coat's finger plate adapter. The plate was placed on the outside of the wheel with weights placed inside. Their first attempt was not successful so I went back for a re-balance. The second attempt included the manager actually doing the job and eventually got it right. Hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Discount tire did my balance on the outside of the rims, I did not notice at first but have had no issues so I did not go back to have them change it. I plan on buying new wheels and tires for off roading and keeping my OEM for daily drivers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey guys - I forgot to thank everyone here on this. A few weeks back when I got my new Nokian Tires, my death wobble started at about 40 mph and just got worse. Had them balance the things three times to no avail. So, what do I do? I hop on the board and remembered reading a thread about it - used the "search" function - I know how many of you would be so proud, and then blammo - I take the proper instructions to the guys at the shop. They tell me that they didn't even think about turning the rims upside down on the machine. They went from almost 6 ounces of weight per rim (like they didn't think anything was wrong with that!!) to less than 1/2 ounce per rim. It still isn't 100% smooth, but I am pretty sure that without doing a Road Force Balance, I won't get there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bottom line with the crome clad wheels is that the cones used on the balancing machine must actually contact the aluminum rim and NOT the plastic crome covering. It seemes that alot of places dont have the exact adapters to fit just right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I am having the same problem. Had all of my tires rebalanced and afterwards starting getting the shakes at around 70 mph. Car seems ok above 80 or is it just that I'm going too fast to notice it. Brought vehicle back to the tire repair shop. They attempted to rebalance the tires again and then told me the tires were warped and no longer any good. At the time the stock tires had 30,000 miles on them. I thought I needed new tires and was looking into purchasing new ones. Now before I move forward I will take it back with this information and hope they can rectify the problem. Hopefully I'll get another 10,000 or 20,000 miles out of these tires.

Thanks again for this information.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sounds like you found the problem! This forum is full of answers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anybody have a picture of what the chrome clad wheels look like with the cladding off?

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Does anybody have a picture of what the chrome clad wheels look like with the cladding off?
The rim would look like a stock steel wheel without the chrome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I work for Discount Tire Co. and there is a special "Jeep" cone (available from Coats) that does not contact the chrome cladding. That cone used along with the Coats finger plate makes for an awesome ride even at 90+ MPH.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts