Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 commander and when i bought it the ball was already in there, I'm guessing the pervious owner put it in and never took it out. will 7.5 years later its now my problem. it is pretty rusted and living in canada doesn't help either!

I have tried everything and I'm stumped I have soaked it in liquid wrench numerous time going through almost 3 cans. I have beaten it with a sledge and no go, i even bet my friend who owns a body shop $20 if he can get it out. and its still there he tried using 12,000 lb hydraulic press but he broke the press!! lol then we got a chain and found a tree, gave it a few yanks still there. He tried to heat it up a bit but it was hard with all the plastic around it.

I staring to get frustrated with this and want to get it out, anyone have any ideas???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Have tried a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid. You will have to repaint the hitch and anything else incomes into contact with.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Put a jack under the the ball and jack up the rear of the jeep. Hit the sides of the hitch with an air chisel that has a flat blunt end.

It rusted in place with gravity pulling down there. You need to reverse the effects and break the rust apart.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If thst doesnt work take the hitch off, put some serious heat to it and then try the press again. Or buy a new hitch and install it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
may be a stupid question, but you pulled the pin right? i would think chaining it to a tree and giving it a good yank should have done it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i got the pin out it took an air chisel to get it out though.... i don't know what the f*** the pervious owner did that made it so stuck. I'm going to try the suggested methods above next week. if they don't work i will probably just buy a new receiver. i though about unbolting it and really heating it up but if i were to do that i may as well just replace it.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Try PB Blaster, really the best for rust, soak it and let sit for a day or two.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same on a Chevy after 10 years. We tried everything you did. Air chisel on the ball nut aiming backwards and eventually it broke free.

·
Registered
104 Posts
First I would try and drill a hole through the drawbar tube. Pulling on this would ensure an axial force (pulling on the ball will twist the drawbar a bit). Then I might try to cut off the draw bar from the tube and hit it back and forth with a hammer, then try and pull it out... Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts