Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Commander with the Hemi. 2 wheel drive. Wondering how much drop do I need on the ball mount? I picked up a 4" drop and it was not enough. It seems like it willl look kinda silly with something bigger. What are you guys running? I am thinking of returning it for a 6" drop.

·
Registered
473 Posts
the proper way to do it deals with weight, not looks.
your goal would be to aim for about 400-600 tongue weight (that is the weight on the hitch).
most people don't have access to devices for weighing this so a general rule is to use as much drop as necessary to make the trailer sit level. that will get you in the ballpark. after that you can make adjustments as needed for towing "feel".
if the trailer rulls nice and straight and doesn't sway the you should be fine. if it sways then you will need to adjust the percentage of weight on the tongue. usually this can be done by shifting your cargo on the trailer.

i have a car trailer that i have pulled since 1990 and have been using the same ball since i bought it. i have had 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons. i just move the car a little more forward or back until the trailer tracks nice and straight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is I have a 4 inch drop right now. And I jack my trailer up all the way and I still cant get it high enough to go over the ball. Looks like I need at least 1.5 more inches of drop just to be able to get the trailer on. This is nothing out of the norm as far as trailer goes. Its a fishing boat. Seems like the hitch is about 8 inches higher than the one on my Navigator. Just wouldnt look right with an 8 inch drop?

·
Registered
473 Posts
probably not much more you can do then.
the general rule is 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue (or ball).
if the ball is too high then you not have enough tongue weight which could cause the trailer to sway at higher speeds. thats not a good feeling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 1/2" drop on my hitch receiver (all I remember is that it's more than 5" but less than 6"). That works out for my boat trailer but it really just depends on your particular trailer. If 4" is too tall, then you need a bigger drop. Pick one up from somewhere with a good return policy so you can step up gradually and return any hitch that doesn't drop enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts