Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey y'all. Got a quick question. I have an 06 Commander 4.7l quadra track II and when I turn from a stop and just driving straight with my foot on the gas I'm hearing a clank, pop, bam from what I can only determine to be my front axles. Noise stops when I take my foot off of the gas pedal. Both outside boots are busted and there is grease everywhere. Anybody else had this issue or heard about this issue? I'm pretty sure it's my axles due to the boots being busted but I just wanted some input from y'all. Are my wheel bearings/hubs also going to need to be replaced? I'm planning on replacing my axle seals Thank y'all. 馃拃

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
If I posted this in the wrong spot I'm sorry. It says I'm a new member but I had to change my password because I forgot my old one. Maybe I should have posted as a new member? I just need some advice. I posted on General. Thank y'all, I just need some advice. AROD. 馃拃

Registered
That all depends on what's happening with them.
Sounds like your CV Axles, and if you've been driving around with the boots open you'll need to get yours rebuilt or buy new.

Don't buy from a parts store. Stick with a local rebuild shop if you have one or buy an oem set off rockauto and still get yours rebuilt somewhere as a future replacement.

I would start with your CV axle and go from there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I went to my God Daddy's shop last night and jacked up my Jeep. Both outer boots are torn and I felt a little play in my wheel hubs/bearings. I could hear a little thunk while at the 3 and 9 position. A tiny bit at the 12 and 6 position but it was a little hard to diagnose this because for some reason my steering wheel would not lock? I did hear a rumble noise and a little squeal from the left front on the way home so I feel like the wheel bearings/hubs are also bad. Thanks for getting back to me and for the information. 馃拃

Registered
Get some Moog or WJB Hubs off Amazon, and go OEM or good rebuild for cv axles (not a partstore reman!). Do it all. May as well give everything else a thorough look over too, check your diff fluid. Make sure to get a new seal on that driver side too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I'm going to do. I'm waiting on my axles from Rockauto, getting axle seals from Auto Zone. I'll let you know how it turns out Hawkeyes. Thanks for the help. AROD. 馃拃

Registered
Which axles did you order? If lifted in ANY manner I hope it's the oem or oem rebuilt. The GSP, Cardone etc. All sale and make the house brand axles for advance auto, autozone, Napa and o'reilly's. If your bone stock they may do better, I stopped when I had to replace them semi annually lol.

Registered
Which axles did you order? If lifted in ANY manner I hope it's the oem or oem rebuilt. The GSP, Cardone etc. All sale and make the house brand axles for advance auto, autozone, Napa and o'reilly's. If your bone stock they may do better, I stopped when I had to replace them semi annually lol.
and hopefully you were able to get the front cv half shafts for the non-locking diff. the ones for locking diff are actually a tad shorter (at least on the driver side for 2007 commander, QT2, 4.7L, no lift) and will eventually move to where it doesn't engage in the front diff.....don't ask how i know.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Mine hasn't gone into 4 wheel lo in 2 years. Lol. I can't find the correct socket for my axle nut. 馃拃

Registered
Hey y'all. Got a quick question. I have an 06 Commander 4.7l quadra track II and when I turn from a stop and just driving straight with my foot on the gas I'm hearing a clank, pop, bam from what I can only determine to be my front axles. Noise stops when I take my foot off of the gas pedal. Both outside boots are busted and there is grease everywhere. Anybody else had this issue or heard about this issue? I'm pretty sure it's my axles due to the boots being busted but I just wanted some input from y'all. Are my wheel bearings/hubs also going to need to be replaced? I'm planning on replacing my axle seals Thank y'all. 馃拃
just went through something similar on my 08. Ended up being the CV joint on the front drive shaft (not the CV axles)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts