Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I live about 2 miles off of the pavement on some pretty rough roads. When I hit one of the potholes just right there is a bang that comes from right under the center console. After this happens a few times the final bang will turn into a rattle that won't stop. I've found that if I drive in reverse for a few feet and then go forward again it stops.

I've crawled under the Jeep and can not find anything that seems to be loose.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Well, I'm sure everyone that has read this thread, the only suggestion they would have is:
I've crawled under the Jeep and can not find anything that seems to be loose.
which you've done. I would just add, you need to look for anything wrong, NOT just loose.

The fact it goes away from driving in reverse a few feet, is a clue that it is in the drivetrain.

Have you checked the trans/motor mounts and driveshafts? Something may be shifting out of place with the jolts and driving in reverse, reverses the load on the drivetrain and shifts it back into place.

Torn/Weak Motor/Trans mounts? Driveshafts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Discovered it is the front drive shaft. Guess while Jeep was owned by Daimler, they put a Mercedes drive shafts which have non-replaceable u-joints, so I have a new drive shaft on order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts