Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of someone that makes an extended strut for the commander. i just got my 2" lift about 2 weeks and both of the front struts are leaking oil. Took it to the dealership yesterday and it seems like the struts are maxing out at full drop damaging them and causing the oil to leak out. They told me I needed to find a strut that has a longer range of travel so when the wheel drops it will not max the strut out.

Thanks in advance for any help with this situation.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It's bottoming out when compressed or decompressed? The lift should not have affected either one. It is a spacer lift correct? You are the first member that I've heard of this happening to. Maybe the installer messed it up when they were reinstalling the struts. The installer that installed my lift ripped both of the CB boots when reinstalling the struts.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
OME, but apparently -- according to at least two sources on here -- their kit is not quite available yet.

You might want to call them to find out.
So, Rubicon, when are we going to get that product review page so we can rate our experiences with products in a more organized fashion?

Hmmmm??? Wouldnt that make it easy find out about products like this????

Wouldnt it be orderly? How To and Products Review
Then we can breakdown the sections by Tire/wheels Lifts Performance
etc!!! Wouldnt that be cool!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am confused as to how this is happening?

With a spacer.. i Would not think this should happen... You are just changing the mounting point of the strut in essence raising the vehicle....

Travel should be the same???

Some one chime in here....

My Tera lift is sitting in the garage waiting for money for rubber... makes me think about doing this on my DD....

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yeah, I'm not really seeing how this is even possible, either. Nothing is changing with the way your strut compresses/decompresses when you put that spacer lift on there. ??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am taking it back in to the dealership this week. they guys that put the lift on said the same thing about how the travel is the same. I am starting to think now that the dealership is just looking for a reason not to cover it under waranty.

·
Registered
602 Posts
When changing the struts--

do we have to re-align?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Long answer,
Since the struts have nothing to do with ride height and you are not adding any spacers to alter ride height, and since none of the adjusting points are disturbed, you will not have to get it re-aligned.

Short answer: no

Rob
Thanks for that. I was at an auto center today and the guy told me that he would have to remove the springs to change the struts, and b/c of that, he would HAVE to re-align. Bast___rds, lol.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Please post a pic of your strut from the forks to the top of the wheel well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts