Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few pics of the normal Hemi exhaust bolts, front CV driveshaft, front axle bushings. You know, normal stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
fun times!

I hate the smell of the diff fluid that remains in the garage after one drop hits the floor :(

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fun times!

I hate the smell of the diff fluid that remains in the garage after one drop hits the floor :(

Dave
Indeed yes. This unit is one of those rare ones that had 9 years-worth of legit PMI's documented; the fluid was like 2 months old :(

The very tight clearances with the powertrain remind me of a 1954 DeSoto Firedome I worked on years back - it was a HEMI. However, I did not have to drop a front drivetrain to access anything more than the oil filter :icon_lol:

As is the case sometimes (most times with my own junk), project scope is growing. This is mainly driven by how tight everything is underneath! New starter, axle seals, ball joints.....

Few more pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
At least it is kind of a one time deal once you conduct the maintenance on the seals and rubber. That level of detail only happens once in a while, and you get the happiness of changing out the manifolds the easy way!

Are you going to buy new lower control arms or just change out the bushings? the cost difference is just slightly cheaper for new rubber, but only by a small amount.

And you can get your CVs serviced! yay fun!

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least it is kind of a one time deal once you conduct the maintenance on the seals and rubber. That level of detail only happens once in a while, and you get the happiness of changing out the manifolds the easy way!

Are you going to buy new lower control arms or just change out the bushings? the cost difference is just slightly cheaper for new rubber, but only by a small amount.

And you can get your CVs serviced! yay fun!

Dave
The right lower BJ had a little slop so it's R&R; the other three as well as the control arm bushings are acceptable. The halfshafts are ok. Remarkable condition overall, with the worst being the front propshaft CV at the T-case.

There was only one broken exhaust mani bolt but there are all getting replaced, along with the gaskets. A solid rig overall.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Old strut compressed. Bilstien pic is too large for download, and I'm too impatient to change it.
My Snap on Rep would need to see that tool and take it from you :)

You spent the cash, make 'em get you a new one!

Otherwise I love those things! My Wife does not allow me to use it at all, rightly so with little kids in our house some thing random would be bad.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That tool is at least 35 years old, with no like model being manufactured any longer. It gives the appearance of being bent up but it's still as solid as ever.

Right rear upper manifold bolt broke with less than a few inches of force, leaving behind a stud in exact fashion as the left side.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine is a bit newer, but same concept.

Maybe since mine is from a military tool truck set and not normally available possibly as to why I have something similar and new.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few shots of what you have to work with, as far as clearance is concerned. This has been covered ad nauseum in other posts, but this is a complex, high-labor operation. It's best to R&R as much as you can with items that have to be removed, such as the front axle assembly. It's money and time well-spent.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts