Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7l Hemi. My problem is that my battery is running flat overnight. I have replaced it with a new battery but the same thing happens. If I disconnect the battery and leave the vehicle to stand for 3 days then reconnect the battery the jeeps starts one time. What could the problem be? Also how long should a the battery last if connected without starting the vehicle. An auto electrician told me 2days at most cos the jeep has a lot of electronics. The vehicle is currently on 55000km

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7l Hemi. My problem is that my battery is running flat overnight. I have replaced it with a new battery but the same thing happens. If I disconnect the battery and leave the vehicle to stand for 3 days then reconnect the battery the jeeps starts one time. What could the problem be? Also how long should a the battery last if connected without starting the vehicle. An auto electrician told me 2days at most cos the jeep has a lot of electronics. The vehicle is currently on 55000km
If you have a sunroof.....there is a computer reflash just for this problem.
It seems a relay will stay energized after shutoff, killing the battery overnight.
As far as your question regarding parasitic draw after shutdown......I leave each of my vehicles sit for sometimes up to two months without use and, although the battery will show some vpltage loss, they always start.
I generally will do a 24hour 2amp charge around the end of the second month.

If it was to go dead in a few days......that indicates a severe draw that should be fairly easy to find.

Rob

·
Registered
862 Posts
You need someone with an amp meter. A clamp type Hall Effect amp-clamp is around $200, so you need to have a buddy in the trade so you can borrow one. :)

Another option is to disconnect the positive cable and put a digital meter inline while in current measuring mode. (The meter goes in series with the battery cable) Do NOT turn on anything (key etc.) while doing this test, as most meters can only handle 10 or so amps max before blowing. There should be only around 0.2 to 0.3 amps with the key off and no dome lights etc. on.

A battery should last for more than a week in a parked XK, so going dead overnight, there's at least 1 amp (or more) of current draw. A Bosch relay is only 0.1 amps, so a relay on isn't going to kill it.

You might have a glove-box light that's stuck on, an under-hood light that's not going off when the hood's down, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts