Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys so im seriously looking to buy a BDS 2" lift. question is....could a guy with good mechanical skills and a basic garage/tool setup install these or do i need "special" tools? (i have floor jacks and air tools)...2nd of all. can a guy thro a quick disconnect setup on a stock rig or does it have to be lifted, and what aspects/brands should i look for in quick disconnects

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes, you can do the install, and here is some info on the quick disconnects....

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
07JEEPXK did the BDS install himself and also added quick disconnects. Maybe he'll chime in soon.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yes to both questions. You can install Quick Disconnects on a stock Commander, and then if you decided to lift it later on they are totally adjustable to accomodate for the lift. As for the BDS install, you can definately do it on your own, but you will definately need a spring compressor or something equivalent. Fortunately I was able to do all the work at a shop open here on post which has lifts and strut compressors, making the job much easier.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
For the quick Disconnects I would definately recommend JKS Quick Disconnects for a lifted TJ Wrangler/Cherokee. Thats what both myself and adamag25 used.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I had the BDS lift, and did it all in my home garage with simple tools (floor jacks, jack stands, socket set, etc.). No air/power tools. You will be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Air/power tools are a mans best friend!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Many auto parts stores loan these tools for little or no $

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yeah. At Advance, you pay a deposit of like $40, but you get all of it back when you return the tool. So essentially, you get to "borrow" it, free of charge.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I used the machines at the shop and literally had each side done in about 2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No, the actual spring needs to be compressed so you can take off the stock upper strut plate and replace it with the new strut plate/spacer.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
oic...hmm im sure i could build some thing to accomodate my needs
Good luck with that. I'd just take out the struts and take it over to the dealer. Im sure they could swap out the pates for you!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
oic...hmm im sure i could build some thing to accomodate my needs
Yes,
Be real careful playing with the springs.
Even though almost fully extended there's a whole bunch of kinetic energy in that last inch of spring.
I'm seious as a heart attack when I say these thing can kill somebody if they get away from ya.

Way safer to just walk the assembly into a parts house with equipment or a dealer, for part transfer.

..........Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It all depends. How old is your vehicle and where do you live. If you live in an area that gets snow and uses salt on the roads then I will bet you need a ball joint seperator. I am currently in MD and when i took off the nut for the ball joint i was able to lightly hit it with a hammer and it poped right out. You have to be careful though not to mess up the threads. Same thing goes for the tie rod.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts