Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 09 commander sport last week and i want to add 265/70/17 with 17X8 with 4.5 back spacing. I dont know what route to take for a 2" lift, I will not be doing any off road just some two tracks while hunting and fishing.The BDS are only $250'ish while the OME are $750'ish. will i get the same results with either lifts?

Thanks in advance... download.jpg :read:

·
Registered
243 Posts
From what I saw on the bds website, it looks like a normal 2" spacer lift that uses stock springs/struts. The OME, on the other hand, uses lift springs which allow for 2+" of lift and greater downtravel. From what I got from your post, it seems as if a cheaper 2"spacer lift would satisfy all your needs. There are many options, and most are cheaper than the bds lift.
http://www.rocky-road.com/commandersus.html
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_commander_2.html
These two are the tallest that I know of, try to stay away from non-metal spacers like daystar, as those usually run smaller and don't last as long. You can still use all your stock suspension, but your shocks will be the limiting factor when you really flex the rear, so you can also buy some inexpensive Monroe load levelers or other longer rear shock'.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Everyone that gets the spacer lift seems to be very satisfied. Everyone that upgrades from the spacer lift to the OME coils loves them and wished they did it earlier.

Sounds to me like either are a good solution. I opted to go with the OME Coil/Shocks which are sitting in the garage and awaiting installation. :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I started off with a used BDS spacer lift I got from a member here back in 2008. A few years later I upgraded to the OME HD lift. If you can afford the OME i recommend doing it right the first time!!! Get the OME

·
Registered
321 Posts
I started off with a used BDS spacer lift I got from a member here back in 2008. A few years later I upgraded to the OME HD lift. If you can afford the OME i recommend doing it right the first time!!! Get the OME
x2!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is it about the ome lift that's better than the spacer lift ?
Is it ride quality or just travel in the shocks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
pyscho787, I am looking at lifting my commander as well. I have an 06, 4.7L.

What I saw on the sites is that the OME lift kit only lifts the system 1.5" as opposed to the 2" from the spacers. Is this true or am I misunderstanding it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
pyscho787, I am looking at lifting my commander as well. I have an 06, 4.7L.

What I saw on the sites is that the OME lift kit only lifts the system 1.5" as opposed to the 2" from the spacers. Is this true or am I misunderstanding it?
You must be misunderstanding, the spacer lifts usually give about 2" of lift (the non-metal ones such as daystar give even less), whereas the OME sits at 2+'" of lift. When I installed OME HD struts/springs/RRO spacer in the front, I gained about 3" of lift over my daystar kit. The OME HD kit is definitely the tallest kit short of the superlift.

To Cygnus: As far as I know, the advantages of the OME lift are:
1.) Increased down-travel
2.) It is typically taller than spacer lifts
3.) All new struts and springs, if your stockers are worn out

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
To Cygnus: As far as I know, the advantages of the OME lift are:
1.) Increased down-travel
2.) It is typically taller than spacer lifts
3.) All new struts and springs, if your stockers are worn out
#1 is false. The ome struts are the same length as oem. So a spacer lift technically has more down travel since the effective strut length is increased (but doesnt really make a difference since there are other limiting factors. Also the rear ome shocks are indeed longer than stock shocks, but you can get even longer shocks to add to your spacer kit which will provide more travel than the ome shocks

#2- My RC kit provided more lift than the OME HD...... at first

#3 is the only real truth. With the addition that my stock springs sagged when I added skids and other accessories.

Ride quality is subjective. If you plan on offroading you'll want to get rid of the stock struts/shocks though. You lose too much effective ground clearance due to their soft damping which allows the springs to compress more under dynamic load.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
When I swapped from BDS spacer lift to OME coils I gained and inch all the way around.

Just a heads up BDS only uses a 1 1/2 inch rear spacer so the Jeep will sit more level front to rear.

If money isn't an issue I'd still go with OME hands down. All of us started with a basic spacer lift and now have OME or 4 inch superlift

1 - 11 of 11 Posts