Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I will be driving on the beach in a couple of weeks and I would love some tips. This will be the first time the 06 commander will see sand. I'm not sure if the all wheel drive will work or if it would be better to put it in 4 wheel low and go.
Thanks
Danny

·
Registered
120 Posts
If your just on the beach it should do fine the way it is. if you go out in the dunes i would lower the air pressure to 15-20. 4low is up to you depending on how much power you want to have. i leave mine in high on the beach and Low out in the dunes. if you feel it bogging down. just try to keep your speed up until is gets smoother.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
The sand in Ocracoke N.C. is deep in most spots so I guess the safe thing would be 4 low.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Air down the tires will give you better performance on sand with 4Hi than full inflated tires with 4Low.

I would say, drive for some time without deflating the tires and then deflate it to 15, and see the difference yourself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Based on my experience in the OBX, the most important part is airing down. 15-20 psi will help. You can struggle through with full air, but it's better and you don't have the anxiety of worrying about getting stuck when you air down.

Turn the ESP all the way off before you enter the sand. 4lo is up to you. I've found that it's not necessary.

There are no requirements, but in the OBX it helps to bring a shovel and straps or tow ropes. The shovel comes in handy if you hit a soft spot and get buried up to the frame. The straps are good because you can always find someone willing to help, but they may not have the eqpt. Also the shovel is good for digging sand castles for your kids.

I also turn my mirrors down when I'm drinving on the sand. You can see if you're starting to dig in. And lastly, when you stop, set it up so you can back up 20 feet or so, and follow in your treads. This gives you time to "get on plane" befoer you start digging into new sand.

Sorry if I'm worrying you. I've had every mishap possible in the OBX, including having a 99 Blazer towed off the beach when the starter wire sheared off in the sand. You'll be fine in the Commander. Have a cold one on the roof of Howard's Pub.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I ahve had my 06 on the beach at Hatteras Tires at 20 lbs seems to work well, I have not found 4-low to be necessary. Was out one day with 40mph winds the closed up the tracks and still had no prblems in 4-hi. As Surfdog says ESp all the way off and you will have to do this each time you start the XK as it resets itself. I also carry all the suggested equipment.

Enjoy, I will have to wait until Nov to get there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts