Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I’m going to start off by saying that I am not writing this to make up for my little pecker (or engine) :) . I just want to tell a story. I bought my 65th edition 3.7L Commander last Thanksgiving because I have always wanted a Commander ever since I saw them as a concept. I was initially hesitant about buying a jeep with all time 4wd and a V6 but I was confident that Jeep wouldn’t let me down. Getting to the point I put it to the test. I really have pushed it to the point of damage and getting stuck but that’s what Jeeps are for! I have taken this through sand roads in 12" of fresh packing snow, gone off roading in the Sierra Nevada mountains around Lake Tahoe on rock and sand, driven all over the sand fire roads of northern Wisconsin and taken on some serious washouts & water, driven around suburbia on wet roads & ice, and have only had an issue once. I got stuck in powder sand on the side of a mountain on the SE side of Lake Tahoe on the Carson range. I blazed my own trail over downed trees and sagebrush only to have a hatchet save me. I had to cut down an 8in diameter pine to get onto a trail after a half mile of off trail crawling. It was hairy and I can confidently say I don’t know how many vehicles could have gotten out of that mess due to the grade and how light the sand was. It was quite the offroading learning experience.
I also recently took a severely washed out sand road on a hill with 5 other passengers in the rig. Everyone was yelling at me because they thought the rig was going to roll or get stuck. I had her on two wheels numerous times and definitely was pushing the roll angles. I was surprised what I had driven through when I got out to take a look. I never would have taken my Explorer through that.
The last little story is a suburbia story. I was going down a hill early one winter morning that has a decent bend in it. Well needless to say I was going too fast and we had had some sleet the night before and this hill is notorious for ice. I hit it and felt the back end go lose but before I reacted to turn out of it I could hear my roll mitigation/traction control/brakes going. I actually heard the different brakes engage to right my direction. It was amazing. I drove straight out of it. I actually took both hands off the wheel for a second in disbelief after that happened like in the Lexus commercial when it’s parallel parking for him. :) That was cool because I could have hit a parked car or given someone a lawn job. :)
Well, I am confident that the 3.7 QT1 will take me through 95% of the roads I can put it through without seeking out a Jeep Jamboree :) You can hardly get the tires to slip but when they do it kicks the power to the ones with the grip and off you go. Its best when pulling out into traffic on a rainy day. I know you guys with the HEMIS have a great engine and 4WD system but don’t turn your noses up to the QT1, he’s no slouch either!

I Love My JEEP!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Nice job. Thanks for experimenting for us!

I agree on the abilitys of QT1 as well.

I think the manual states the ability to climb 35 degree inclines. I have not found this to be a problem at all.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
For future note: When you go out to "test" the XK, take pictures! =)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds to me like your a real risk taker and it's just a matter of time before you total it. Hopefully you don't kill someone in the process.
Have you ever heard of "Tread Lightly"?
By the way, you might consider a Wrangler next time.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
There is nothing wrong with taking your vehicle to the limits of its capabilities. I suspect that the limits of most people's heart is less than the limits of the XK. I won't say I go as far as CT does, but I won't shirk from a challenge. And, how is someone supposed to take their five kids off-roading with a Wrangler? Luggage rack?

Each vehicle has a purpose, the XK IS an off-road vehicle with a high-capacity passenger capability. That is what I use mine for.

However, I agree with "tread-lightly." But that doesn't mean, "don't tread at all."

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nice to hear someone commending the commanders capabilities. Great story and thanks for the time Command This!
- JJ

·
Registered
437 Posts
"I also recently took a severely washed out sand road on a hill with 5 other passengers in the rig. Everyone was yelling at me because they thought the rig was going to roll or get stuck."
Sorry, If I am doing this kind of off-roading I wouldn't have my Jeep loaded with my 5 kids.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I agree with PolarBZ, Tread Lightly is the rule, not a suggestion. "Blazing your own trail", while it sounds like fun, is a no-no and is what helps the bunny-huggers get the legitimate trails closed down.

At least you're using your truck off-road, which is more than most XKs will see. Just be prudent about your wheeling activities.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tread Lightly

OK guys. I think you misunderstood. I never said I had 5 kids in the rig. I don’t have kids. I had 5 of my adult buddies on a numbered fire road that is totally legal to drive on.
Second when I got stuck in Tahoe I was literally on the side of a mountain and this was the ONLY way out. The road dead ended on a steep slope in a sand pit where you could see others had gotten stuck. A wrecker would not have been able to get me out due to my location and if they did that would have done way more damage to the land than me crawling through the woods and cutting down ONE tree so I could get out of that mess. The people in the car thought I was going to roll or get stuck because they drive cars. I knew my capabilities and showed them what a jeep can do. Needless to say they were pumped up and impressed when we went straight through it.
I agree with all of you when you say tread lightly, I have seen the worst of it in Northern Wisconsin. The DNR shut down access to all roads that were not numbered fire roads due to ATVs that completely trashed a protected wetland in the Chequamegon National Forest. That is the area I deer hunt in and it really fires me up to see people driving where they aren’t supposed to.
WALKJON- Your comments are pretty unjustifiable to say I am going to total my XK or kill someone. I push the limits in "the most capable 7 passenger SUV" but I am not going to take something that I know can’t be conquered. I don’t use my XK to take the kids to soccer practice, I use it to haul all my buddies & gear to my next adventure. It’s a JEEP not a Dodge Caravan.
Go to camp Jeep and see what they will let you take THEIR jeeps on. You may be surprised.
Thanks all for the comments! Go out and get those XKs dirty! But tread lightly ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have been owned 8 Jeeps and have been to 4 Camp Jeeps over the last 7 years.
I know what you are talking about. When you write a story and don't give all the facts what are people supposed to think?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
walkjon said:
Sorry, If I am doing this kind of off-roading I wouldn't have my Jeep loaded with my 5 kids.
If its too dangerous for the kids, its too dangerous for me. But, am I scared of a little angle here or there? No. Besides, if it IS a really steep incline, and I am silly enough to get sideway on it - I have trained the kids to act as balancers and they will move to the "up" side of the Jeep to provide better stability.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Command This. said:
I don’t use my XK to take the kids to soccer practice,
Why not? Its great for that too. And those silly little curbs don't get in the way anymore.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I commend you. I am 22 and will do about anything adventurous and crazy, I rock climb, wafesurf, have sky dived, will take my Wrangler off road... but I can't bring myself to taking the XK off road yet.... I guess it is something about graduating college and finally getting an amazing vehicle, payments, and the fact that I live in northern indiana..

Who knows, I probably won't hold out for much longer w/o a lift and tires, so maybe my XK will see some trails in its future (I want to end up moving to North Carolina, at least some trails there so it will be worth it!)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YB Normyl said:
Pics, pics, we need some pics! Next time you're out there get one of your buddies to snap some.
I know, i have some posted of Tahoe but no others - I will take pics next time

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just doing what a JEEP was meant to do...good job!

·
Registered
527 Posts
PolarBZ said:
There is nothing wrong with taking your vehicle to the limits of its capabilities. I suspect that the limits of most people's heart is less than the limits of the XK. I won't say I go as far as CT does, but I won't shirk from a challenge. And, how is someone supposed to take their five kids off-roading with a Wrangler? Luggage rack?

Each vehicle has a purpose, the XK IS an off-road vehicle with a high-capacity passenger capability. That is what I use mine for.

However, I agree with "tread-lightly." But that doesn't mean, "don't tread at all."
I always worry about th eline of duty investigations, I barely got through my last one, lol.

·
Registered
473 Posts
luckyax2, i was sorta near your place a few weeks ago. i was in new castle, indiana the weekend of 9/30/07. we (my 14yo son and me) were ay new castle motorsports park off I-70. he races go-karts and we were at nationals there. took my new '07 ram 1500 4.7 4x4 out there pulling my 3500lb (est.) enclosed trailer. in tow/haul mode i got 9.5mpg. kinda sucked. i was hoping for about 12. it was 350 miles there (from pittsburgh).
i thought i would see a few flex fuel pumps out there but didn't find any and actually saw some signs up complaining about it or something. whats the deal with that?

·
Registered
521 Posts
topcop38 said:
luckyax2, i was sorta near your place a few weeks ago. i was in new castle, indiana the weekend of 9/30/07. ................i thought i would see a few flex fuel pumps out there but didn't find any and actually saw some signs up complaining about it or something. whats the deal with that?

New Castle is a little South East of Indy towards the Ohio Line correct? You would think with all the corn in indiana that those would be everywhere. But I have only seen a couple at Purdue, and I have seen about 5 in the South Bend area. There really hasn't been a push for them up north so I really don't know. Did you see the worlds largest high school gym while you were in new castle?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts