Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I need some advice from someone who knows... What's the best way to beef up the rear suspension on my 06 Commander? 'Don't want to jack it up, but need to prevent the sag when I hook up our 22' camping trailer. Anyone been there, done that?
Thanks in advance.
Mackle

·
Registered
954 Posts
First thing that popped to mind- if you don't have a Hemi get yourself some rear springs from a Commander Limited with a Hemi, they're stiffer and will sag less. Obviously shocks could also help but I'll let others that are more experienced with the load shocks chime in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use the air bags that go inside the spring. The kit is cheap, I think it was $100 canadian.

Q

·
0 Posts
Monroe 58646 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber. New sway bar bushings and end links. If that is not enough look at spring air bags as suggested or something from Timbrin or SuperSprings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all.
I do use the weight distribution hitch.
Didn't know the 4.7 had less rear spring that the hemi. I'll look into that.
and, at this point I think I'll go with air bags.
Thanks again,
Mackle - Kure Beach, NC

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I think the tow package is the one that had the higher rate rear springs, NOT necessarily the Hemi. Confirm it as you look into it. Also check the Front Spring Rate, for proper and "SAFE" handling, you need the proper balance front/rear of spring rates, so if your swapping springs in the rear to a higher rate, you want to swap the front to the springs that came with those rear springs.

Of course the vehicles have Stability Control now, so arguably that would keep you safe instead of proper front/rear spring balance.

And keep in mind, I don't think there is that big of difference in spring rates, so if you're sagging a lot now, it will likely only help a little bit, might want to investigate the aftermarket solutions that address sag particularly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Mongo. The sag is not too bad, but I'm wanting it to be level, and trying my best to avoid trading vehicles. Other camper folks want me to get a pick-up, but they don't understand how much i love the Commander. Towed over 3000 miles last winter without a problem. Just seeking continual improvement.
Thanks again,
Mackle

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What little I read, there is very little difference between the spring rates, if anything the tow package "beefing up" was for better roll rate and handling when towing, NOT counteracting sag from the tongue weight. BUT, I could be wrong.

A lot of Chrysler Vehicles had an option for "Load Leveling" Shocks, NOT sure if they came with the Commander, they were an option on the Mini-Vans. I think they are sold aftermarket as well.

Load Leveler shocks have extra equipment internally, valving that uses the pumping action of the shock, if the shock is compressed below the reference height, to increase pressure and extend it back to its reference height. I.E. if you load up the back of the vehicle and the back end sags, after a mile or two of driving the shocks pump up to return it back to stock ride height.

Its kinda like an air shock, except automatic and you don't have to add air to get it back to stock ride height. Of course, unlike air shocks that can be used to adjust to any custom height, the load levelers have one height only. If they weren't available OEM over the dealer counter, I think they are available aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I did a quick google search, all I found for load leveling shocks were these Monroe shocks that really are just springs over the shock to add some more spring rate to the suspension.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Shock-NAPA-Load-Adjuster-Rear/_/R-NS_58646_0484373103

What I was thinking about was the ZF Nivomat shocks, if they weren't on the Commander they may have been on another Jeep with similar shock.

The advantage of a load leveling shock is if they are adjustable, you'll can adjust them to get your desired ride height, if you go with a spring with just a slightly higher spring rate, you may find unloaded ride height is undesirable or it only improves the rear sag a 1/4".

Q

·
0 Posts
Per my dealer as I was contemplating new springs for my '08 I gave the dealer two Vin#s to look up the spring part numbers. The part numbers for the Hemi & an XK Hemi with towing package were the same. They said the Hemi with & w/o tow are the same springs FYI.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Load levelers and air lift air bags. Hatch was also full of luggage.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Per my dealer as I was contemplating new springs for my '08 I gave the dealer two Vin#s to look up the spring part numbers. The part numbers for the Hemi & an XK Hemi with towing package were the same. They said the Hemi with & w/o tow are the same springs FYI.
As well, and I could be wrong so you want to look it up and confirm it, the actual spring rate between the two in the rear is very little. I "think" the differences are simply to have a little better handling and control in the rear suspension for towing, NOT for less sag in the rear for tongue weight.

So switching to Hemi/Tow Package springs might only produce a fraction of an inch difference in sag from tongue weight. That is why some sort of load lever shock/spring/airbag might be a better choice. Like jthurstonjr went with....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just to reiterate what folks above have said. I've got the Airlift (air bags) installed ...had them inside of the stock Hemi w/trailer tow package springs and never had dip. Recently have upgraded to the OME HD all the way around and moved the airbags into the new springs.

The air bags are def the way to go because you can add air as necessary to level your load depending on what your towing and let air out for a softer ride when the load changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts