Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are some pros and cons and what I have found.

pros:
Amazing off road in 4 low
great clearance
I can drive over curbs and they feel like speed bumps
much softer ride

Cons:
Jeep bogs bad in 4 high when slipage is present almost worthless to not be in 4 low all the time. Gears are needed bad or a better tranny nag1 cough*

People think it is a hummer or don't know what the hell it is.

Speedo is way off, about 7-10 mph and Diablosport has not finished an 06 profile yet but I have my predator waiting.

as it turns out at full flex alot of cutting was needed both front and rear, most people are not going to want to do what I had to do to fit 34"

I really enjoy them and would do it over again, now if jeep can get smart and make a better tranny or someone would make gears for our POS front diff

·
Registered
887 Posts
Pic's?

Forum rule - no pic's - you did not do it - it does not exist...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
still waiting on some overall photos. I want to see it from a distance to get an idea of the whole thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
here are some random pics with a camera phone, I will do some later with a real cam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The superchips flashpaq will fix your speedo issue and help firm up the transmission shift points. I know that since I have installed the 32's on my Commander the tranny acts up everyonce and a while.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the diablo sport predator, just waiting for a software update for the 06 commander.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
here are some pros and cons and what I have found.

pros:
Amazing off road in 4 low
great clearance
I can drive over curbs and they feel like speed bumps
much softer ride

Cons:
Jeep bogs bad in 4 high when slipage is present almost worthless to not be in 4 low all the time. Gears are needed bad or a better tranny nag1 cough*

People think it is a hummer or don't know what the hell it is.

Speedo is way off, about 7-10 mph and Diablosport has not finished an 06 profile yet but I have my predator waiting.

as it turns out at full flex alot of cutting was needed both front and rear, most people are not going to want to do what I had to do to fit 34"
I guess this is a forum for opinions and experiences, so here's mine.

You did what most people would not want to do, cut the wheel well up and made it work, so kudo's on that.

As to your cons, all were predictable without a trial or are immaterial.

1. You put on tires with a 15% larger circumference so for transmission and gearing, you did the same as putting a higher gear ratio in the final drive. So yah, it would seem that Chrysler should have put lower gearing in their vehicle.... oh yah, they did, you changed it.

2. People think it is a hummer ... who cares, happens to other Commander owners sometimes too.

3. Your speedo is off by 15%, not 7-10 mph.

4. Your right, most people do not want to cut their fender wells out that much. But a few are willing.

But more to the point, you did a good job, something I personally was doubtful of you pulling off, so congrats.

Now get some 4.10 gears or similar, and clean up the fender wells and you'll really have something there.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
honestly i think its too much tire for the commander....you may have bulk ground clearance but your tires will hit the fender before you actually use it.... IMO
He only has about an inch more ground clearance then any of us running 265/70's with a 2 inch lift.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It may be "only an inch" but if you need it and don't have it..............
Thats true. But Id rather have no rubbing then that extra inch. If you cant flex then there is no need for that extra inch of ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree with 07 on the issue of flex. The rear is the main issue because they will tend to go pretty far up into the wheel well when the axle articulates. I don't see how the rear can flex much with that large of tire. The front wheels don't move upward into the wheel well too far when full weight is put on them so there may be less issues with the front as long as the wheels are straight at full compression. Turning is another issue. I think the OP has worked out most of the things to get the setup right but it is not my style at all. I prefer to have some space around the tires in the wheel well as compared to having the tire look packed into the opening. Still I say nice work. I didn't believe you would actually even attempt what you were planning, but you did and you succeeded.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
at full flex my tire doesn't contact the fender, I had to do alot to make sure of that. If I had the cash I would go 37" with a 4.5 lift.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I thought that only the 3.7L Commander had the NAG1 Transmission. I was pretty sure that all of the V8's have the 45RFE.

As for opinion...well. I admire your guts for doing it. It does seem like a little too much tire for your lift. It just doesn't "look" right in my opinion.

If you are happy with it that is the most important thing. I do appreciate the write up though. It gives the rest of us some hints as to what we can do with respect to increasing wheel clearance. I know that I would like to have a little more room with my 32" tires as it is right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the problem with the back is near the doors, here is what had to be done and why AEV extends the axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
the rear issue is actually not to bad...the way you did it doesnt look bad at all....

im not Knocking the tire idea i was just concerned with tire rub...but if you aren't haveing any issues good on you for trying...

are you planning any more lift?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am really happy with it as is, I like to stay away from lift when I can to keep a low center of gravity for both on road and off. I may go up in lift when I switch to a coil over setup, not going to be any time soon. My next add ons are going to be bumpers and body armor, I picked up a bunch of steel and will be making front and rear bumpers that second as air tanks. I want to keep the stock commander plastics where the fogs are so I plan on replacing this front bumper center section and adding some D-Rings. The rear I am not sure on yet, I am trying to retain the backup sensors.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am really happy with it as is, I like to stay away from lift when I can to keep a low center of gravity for both on road and off. I may go up in lift when I switch to a coil over setup, not going to be any time soon. My next add ons are going to be bumpers and body armor, I picked up a bunch of steel and will be making front and rear bumpers that second as air tanks. I want to keep the stock commander plastics where the fogs are so I plan on replacing this front bumper center section and adding some D-Rings. The rear I am not sure on yet, I am trying to retain the backup sensors.

Sounds awesome.....keep us up to date with the progress

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is it the trans slipping (bogging) or the transfer case in AWD (4high) slipping because its not locked front to rear and its sending most the power to the rear when the front loses traction. I would think it would get worse with taller tires, unless you had a true 4 high transfer case.

I wouldn't go any bigger tires unless you add a part time transfer case or even SFA it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts