Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other vehicles did you look at, and what sold you on the Commander versus all the other vehicles out there?

·
Registered
195 Posts
No other was considered. I had a '96 stick Cherokee, it was time to trade & Jeep finally came up with a model with an acceptable looks. The only real choice I made was color & engine selection. Woud've preferred a stick, but it's easy to like the smooth shifting auto, s'easier to drive.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I considered the Grand Cherokee and the new Wrangler before deciding on the 2007 Commander Overland.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The wife drove a 2002 Cherokee and my 16 yr old daughter was coming home from school and some guy, talking on his cell phone, ran a stop sign and she T-boned him. This happened just as the Commander was hitting the market and we couldn't find anything that had the feel of the old Jeep, except another Jeep.
The old Jeep:

The new one:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I wish people would just hang up and drive, I can see why states are adopting anti cell phone laws while driving. I realize that the Commander will eat gas like there's no tomorrow, But I want to drive a tank just for that reasion, so hell with it I'll pay for the gas, you can't put a price on family safety.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I looked at a few different vehicles, Hummer H3 because of the price point it was at, nice ride but there was no V-8 available, the Land Rover LR-3, I really liked this car but 50k for what I liked was just to steep, it was just more than what I needed and last the Grand Cherokee, which I would have bought if there was more head room, I'm 6'4, it has better resale than the commander and it looks like some attempt was made to smooth it out style wise, I know the Hardcore Jeep guys will protest but I like it. As for buyer regrets with my Commander, none really, OK the fuel bills suck but I have a Company car for the day to day stuff so it's not really that bad, it's done everything I've asked of it, hasn't stranded me and get a look or two:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting crash photo. Am I correctly seeing that the passenger air bag deployed, but the driver side didn't? Thats strange. Also, nice Commander -- looks just like mine :)

I traded in an 05 Liberty for the Commander. Traded in a 99 Grand Cherokee with lots of miles for the Liberty (don't like the new style Grand Cherokees). When I saw the Commander, it was easy to say bye bye Liberty -- If I knew that was coming out in 06, I would have kept the 99 for a bit longer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My daughter just bit down on her tongue, the passenger in truck took the brunt of the crash, he had broken ribs and nose. About the airbag, the officer said she was going about 25-30mph which may be why the airbag didn't deploy, the kicker is that there was no passenger in the Jeep so the passenger bag shouldn't have deployed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I really didnt look at anything else other then the Commander. Traded my 2004 Durango for the Commander and like the Jeep alot more then the Dodge. Problem with the Durango is the dash looks super cheap and plasticky whereby the Jeep dash in my opinion is very sharp and upscale. Also the ride of the Jeep is much better.
So glad your family is ok germerika...that is the most important thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I narrowed to the LR3, Commander and new Tahoe/Yukon. Criteria included 3rd row seating and true 4x4 capability. 4runner & pathfinder too small. Briefly considered Armada (too big) and Lexis GX470 (too pricey for what you get).

In the end, the Tahoe was well too much of a big lug of a thing and a chevy to boot (I have never owned a domestic car before the jeep), and the LR3 was basically $10k more for the same package of everything on the jeep except the backseat DVD, which would've been another $2k add-on. I really liked the LR3, but the Jeep was the best deal loaded out limited 4x4 with the hemi and all options for right at $40k - I could not justify paying over $50 for the LR3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
irwinm said:
I narrowed to the LR3, Commander and new Tahoe/Yukon. Criteria included 3rd row seating and true 4x4 capability. 4runner & pathfinder too small. Briefly considered Armada (too big) and Lexis GX470 (too pricey for what you get).

In the end, the Tahoe was well too much of a big lug of a thing and a chevy to boot (I have never owned a domestic car before the jeep), and the LR3 was basically $10k more for the same package of everything on the jeep except the backseat DVD, which would've been another $2k add-on. I really liked the LR3, but the Jeep was the best deal loaded out limited 4x4 with the hemi and all options for right at $40k - I could not justify paying over $50 for the LR3.
The LR3 will be in the shop so much, it will redifine "off roading".

·
Registered
396 Posts
I looked pretty hard at the Land Rover LR3. The local dealer let me drive a brand new one on one of their Land Rover Outings. Nice vehicle. I was concerned about the reliability, and also was not looking for a vehicle that recommended premium unleaded. And the pricing seemed to be much more when compared to the Commander and all the included features on the Commander.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I actually test drove the Pathfinder, Sequoia, and Armada.

Pathfinder was a bit too small.
Sequoia was a bit too ugly... but the price was reasonable.
Armada was too big... and the recall/problem list was surprisingly substantial.

I never really considered the LR3 because I figured it would cost too much for what you get just by looking at the options available.

I ended up going with the 4x4 Limited Commander without the DVD/NAV (I ended up installing the Alpine in-dash w/ headrest screens) .. and am now eyeing the Alpine Blackbird Navi :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Given the winters here in Northeast Pennsylvania, I looked at the 300C AWD and Grand Cherokee.

The 300's command a premium due to demand...no special financing, no rebates, etc.

The Grand Cherokee was nice, but I was trading a 1999 Grand Cherokee.

The dealer had a Commander Limited that the owner drove (demonstrator). It had some dealer added things like chrome, mud floor mats, etc (no charge) I got a nice discount from sticker, a fair trade for my 1999 Grand Cherokee and 0% interest on the balance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was heavily considering the Jeep Liberty but it was WAY too small when I test drove. I was unaware of Commander until I saw them on the lot while test driving the Liberty. I was in love at first drive. I bought the Commander the same day.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We looked at Tahoes, to main stream every soccer mom has a tahoe, H3 no thanks and what is up no V8, and then the Grand Cherokee but for the same price we could have more space. My husband is a jeep man we have 4 now. A willys a CJ my YJ and now our commander. So the commander it was. I am happy as can be with mine. Gas sucks but hey it is a big suv with the 4.7 V8 suv duh of course it is going to suck down gas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Didn't consider anything else. I've had Jeeps for 10 years. Bought a 97 Wrangler when the new body style came out. Bought a 99 Cherokee when I got married and the wife complained about the rough ride of the Wrangler. Bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee when we had our son. I loved the look of the Commander when it came out, and it just seemed like the natural progression. :) Dark khaki and looks identical to the one in that pic. I love it! I have yet to see another Commander on the road in my area.....so I feel unique.

·
Registered
258 Posts
we test drove a F150, Yukon, Envoy XL, Expedition, Liberty, Grand Cherokee, Caravan, and of course the Commander. I wasnt buying no damn minivan! The f150 was nice, but the commander had a third row. The Liberty felt like a go cart to me, and the Yukon and Expedition were too expensive for us. Never tested any foreign vehicles. If it aint american, then it has to be a VW.
But the Toureg is way overpriced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We traded a 2004 Liberty for our 2006 Commander Limited. We test drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover LR3 and Volvo XC90 before trying the Commander.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts