Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, after having new tires put on, my Commander was experiencing wheel vibration at 65 mph. I took it back to tire place (Evans Tire) & they rebalanced, however vibration still existed. They rotated tires thinking maybe defective tire but vibration still existed. I took it to the dealer assuming that a Jeep Trained mechanic would easily be able to identify the source of the vibration. He immediately identified the origin as the drive shaft and charged me $500 to install a new one. However, you guessed it, vibration still existed. It was then that I searched the Jeep Commander forum threads and found the threads on the need to balance the chrome clad wheels with a "road force" balancing machine that used the special adapter to attach to the inside of the wheel. I had the dealership put my old drive shaft back on, which fortunately they still had, and balance the wheels with a "road force" machine. However, actually no however, the vibration problem was completely solved and the dealership refunded my $500. Good lesson for the mechanic (check the balance on wheels before assuming the problem is the drive shaft) and a good lesson for me (check the Jeep Commander forum for people who have already dealt with the same problem before assuming the mechanic knows what he is talking about).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hmmm, I have this issue also, as soon as I get over 69mph, I get a vibration... I'll have the dealer check it when I next go in... thanks for the heads up.

Out of curiosity, why did they charge you for the install of the new driveshaft, wouldn't that be covered under warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I might have that done again, I'm still getting the vibration at 70-75 mph from the right front.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2006 Commander is no longer under warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts