Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have khaki leather and the driver seat has a stress tear in the middle of a panel, not at the stitch. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced solution.

I priced out replacing the cover from Mopar, that's about $400.

Auto upholstery shop wants about $300 to remake the cover, they won't repair it.

Final option is buying gray leather Mopar cover which some odd reason is 60% cheaper and then dying it to match.

When I say cover, it's not an after market cover its the actual leather that goes over the foam seat assembly.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Colorbond makes good quality interior paint. If you can get the correct color, then it's just a matter of proper preparation of the replacement skin and spraying it to match.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Gorilla Tape has a clear repair tape that you can put over it to keep it from getting worse.... or to protect the new seat from wearing

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have saddle brown w/ similar problem on drivers side. It looks awful. If you end up doing the Mopar cover, I'd be very interested to hear how it went.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have khaki leather and the driver seat has a stress tear in the middle of a panel, not at the stitch. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced solution.

I priced out replacing the cover from Mopar, that's about $400.

Auto upholstery shop wants about $300 to remake the cover, they won't repair it.

Final option is buying gray leather Mopar cover which some odd reason is 60% cheaper and then dying it to match.

When I say cover, it's not an after market cover its the actual leather that goes over the foam seat assembly.

Any advice is appreciated.

If you're talking about the left seat bolster I had mine replaced. I had the upholstery shop do both panels in this picture.
I just took them the whole seat. They took it apart.
It was only $65. I thought that was reasonable. So I had them do the armrest too. I got rid of that hideous vinyl armrest.My whole bill was only $125. Those seat bolsters are vinyl. The leather is just in the middle. Take a picture and let us see what you're talking about.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a picture and let us see what you're talking about.
I'll do that. in the mean time can you take a picture of your seat bottom from above. I want to see what pattern you have.

Also, at one point the seat was airbrushed and repaired so I think just replacing a panel is not an option anymore.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll do that. in the mean time can you take a picture of your seat bottom from above. I want to see what pattern you have.

Also, at one point the seat was airbrushed and repaired so I think just replacing a panel is not an option anymore.
This is all I have.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, this confirms that there is a variation in the stitching design but the cushion is the same.

My front part is one piece and the butt area is three parts.

I can get an entire new OEM cover for less than 100. Then about 50 for a die kit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is the condition of my seat currently.

That is beyond repair. It appears replaceable, by looking at your pictures. But just the bolster. That section is vinyl.Just have them unstitch the two pieces. Replace just the bolster. Then dye the whole seat and be done with it.The seat portion appears to be undamaged, but well worn. You still have several other options though. Like seat covers, used seat from a junkyard and maybe dye that. You can save money on labor, like taking the seat out of a vehicle and taking it to the shop. You can go as far as your money will take you. If your vehicle still looks brand new then go all out.... make it right.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
The original seat upholstery were made by Katzkin. https://katzkin.com/
I've been kicking around a new Katzkin leather interior for a while now, since I first came across it a couple of years ago, I don't know if I'll ever do it though.

My cloth interior is immaculate and with the Cover-King Real Tree Camo Custom 1st & 2nd row seat covers I have, I really don't know if it's worthwhile or not.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've been kicking around a new Katzkin leather interior for a while now, since I first came across it a couple of years ago, I don't know if I'll ever do it though.

My cloth interior is immaculate and with the Cover-King Real Tree Camo Custom 1st & 2nd row seat covers I have, I really don't know if it's worthwhile or not.
Certainly not from katzkin and it's not worth the money. You don't deal with them anyway, they just send you to a local auto upholstery shop. I called a shop on their list and they refused to repair anything and wanted to quote the whole interior.

I'm dealing with leatherseats.com currently. They make the covers custom to order to replace your current leather/fabric. They also sell per row instead of the entire interior. I can get the front row replaced for just about double what a local shop wanted to only replace the lower portion of the driver seat.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
Certainly not from katzkin and it's not worth the money. You don't deal with them anyway, they just send you to a local auto upholstery shop. I called a shop on their list and they refused to repair anything and wanted to quote the whole interior.

I'm dealing with leatherseats.com currently. They make the covers custom to order to replace your current leather/fabric. They also sell per row instead of the entire interior. I can get the front row replaced for just about double what a local shop wanted to only replace the lower portion of the driver seat.

It's just something I've been kicking around for a while.

I'm pretty happy with my interior as it sits. The only real modification I still have planned for the interior is installing a HAM Radio.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts