Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what people thought was the best budget lift out there for the Commander. I only want to lift mine two or three inches, keeping the stock rims and putting on taller tires. Ease of installation would be a plus. I'm sure this has been covered already in here but would like it all in one place. Posts that contain details such as the price, brand and the tire size would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I havent lifted mine yet but will be soon. Basically with any 2" lift you are adding coil spacers to the rear. Then either you add a strut mount spacer or a coil spacer that sits on the spring. OME sells longer struts and springs all around, but I wouldnt call that budget for a 2". From my experience with other jeeps a spacer is a spacer. Mostly they are just different colors. I have never lifted an IFS jeep though so mabye the struts spacers differ in design. Basically what I am trying to say is a 2" spacer lift is pretty much the same from everybody. Find the best price and go

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
There is a lift poll that should help you out. I think there are more Rocky Road lifts than any other but some others are catching up due to some problems some members have had with the Rockey Road. I have the RR and still recommend it however.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You cant go wrong with the BDS spacer lift. There is nothing to break. Both front and rear spacers are made out of steel.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Rough Country spacer lift is what I am running. The RC lift is also completely steel and is well made with flawless welds. I've been running it for a year problem free. I also have 1.5" Spidertraxx wheel spacers, and am running Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs 265/70/17's. All in all a very sweet combo.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'll second the quality on RC's 2" spacer lift- well built, easy install, and nice ride. The spacers are black too, so they blend in with the stock suspension. I've also got 1.5" spacers and 275/60/17 Hankook Ventus RH06 tires.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Honestly it really doesnt matter which one you go with as long as both front and rear spacers are made out of metal. Id just stay away from the kits that have poly spacers.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ya! finaly = RC lift comming in this week (TH) .....the fam and i will be at six flags ,CA this weekend but plan on instal the following weekend ...with help from a couple guys at AZVJ Club..i will try to take and post pics of before and after.

:rofl: :headbang2: :banana: :icon_cheers: :rocker: :eusa_dance:

too much excitement????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the BDS 2" mount btwn the front coil and the strut itself and RC btwn the strut mount and the body?? i no BDS requires a spring compressor and BDS says this creates preload...does this give any advantage, ride quality etc?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Does the BDS 2" mount btwn the front coil and the strut itself and RC btwn the strut mount and the body?? i no BDS requires a spring compressor and BDS says this creates preload...does this give any advantage, ride quality etc?
Both the RC and BDS lifts use metal spacers that go between the strut assembly and the body itself. The only difference is with the BDS you replace the upper strut plate with the actual lift spacer and the RC spacer just bolts right on top of the strut plate. BDS requires a spring compressor to do that swap since you are taking off the OE upper strut plate.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Gotcha so basically the RC is just easier to install thanks
Sure, if you think of it that way. It only takes a few seconds to put the strut assembly in a spring compressor and swap out the strut plate with the bds spacer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts