Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Ive been doing a bit of homework on this subject and didnt find to much on it when I did a search but, Im between 2 intakes. The K&N 77 setup or the AEM Brute force setup. Ive had K&N in my past cars/trucks and worked fine but a company called Volant had the best setup Ive ever used in my 04 Hemi Ram but they arent making a kit for our commanders so anyone have any good info on both setups on HP and TQ and Fuel mileage. I also will be installing a 50 Series HD Flowmaster which was made for the HEMI engine. This will help to making a descision.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Go with the K&N 77. Love it, sounds like a beast and performs great.

·
Registered
154 Posts
IM INTERESTED TOO!

when you say "it sounds like a beast" do you get an obnoxious sound from under the hood?.. i just installed a Gibson cat back and it did not really get much louder in the cab.. I didnt want to make a change I will regret.

Will I be better off just removing the snorkel and putting a drop in filter??

thanks

Jim

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Go with the AEM Bruite Force with the Gibson cat-back Exhaust.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sounds like a beast when you get on it and it is sucking the air out of your local zip code. It sounds sweet when you pull up to the line and hop it! No annoying cab noise whatsoever!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the AEM and I am very happy with it. Nice growl when you open it up but not real loud like opening up the exhaust. Certainly notice the difference with it on.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I suspect you will find supporters for virtually all the various makers of the CAI systems. I personally use Airaid, but, have nothing bad to say about any of the others. I've used K&N in the past, along with AEM, both very well made units. The main thing is to let the engine inhale and inhaling colder dense air is best. I would imagine all of the "name brand" units will do that. If you look at them, they all use a smooth bore tube for less restriction and turbulence with a huge filter to keep the air clean . Some sort of sheilding against the engine's heat and you're set.

Choices? Do you want a chrome pipe for show? Do you want a dry filter or one that you have to apply oil? Etc., etc. I went with Airaid because their sheild appealed to me... As for the sound? I would imagine all of them "growl" - my Airaid does. ;) At normal speeds and cruising, not a peep out of it, but, put your foot in it and you can tell it is taking a deep breath :D

I know a lot of folks here use AEM - you won't go wrong with them, if that's the way you are leaning.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, yesterday I had some free time so I started to mess around with the factory intake setup. I got parts from the past from other intakes ive had. So what I did is inserted a flex tube into the front intake piece which is located before the radiator and used the same rubber connector to the air box and into a 9" cone style K&N filter and tighten every up and also removed the air shield and at the same time I replaced my battery with a red top optima battery and then took it for a spin. Wright away I can tell a difference in throttle response and a bit better take offs. Removing the shield and adding the K&N the way I did does work. Im going to wait on a correct intake in the summer and get other things for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts