Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im new to the site... im looking for a good 3-4" suspension lift for 2007 commander.. also on a budget so does anyone have a good idea? Also does anyone know what size tires you can fit on stock rims that come on the base model of the commander?

·
Registered
195 Posts
2.25" Rocky Road plus 265/70/17's will get you close to 4" lift overall. You will have to address tire rub however at the front. I have this set up and wish I had gone with the 4" Superlift.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am considering spacers attm. I am worried about placing a 'moment' on the suspension components and possible early failure. Lots of people use these with success......Also concerned aobut wheels outside of the wells and impacting airflow/handling at highway speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very understandable now i was just checking out the rocky road lift and is that just a front lift? im trying to fit 31" AT tires on the commander

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its both front and rear. There is a poly spacer for the rear that fits under the springs. The BFG 265/70/17's show diameter of 31.7" Stock 245/65/17's show diameter of 29.5" So you get about an inch of height overall.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great idea.....tho I will be honest, was my first time doing this and I just followed the instructions that RR sent.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I will do that soon then. How do you like their supersliders?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I will do that soon then. How do you like their supersliders?
One of the best mods I ever did, saved me a lot in body damage.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you dont want the Superlift then the next best lift out for the XK is definately the Old Man Emu lift. It utilizes coils instead of spacers and has one of the best shocks available (nitrogen).

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I would say yes. I had the RR lift on my XK before the Superlift. It was only on for 8 months and for the most part performed fine, especially for the money. But in 8 months, both RR shocks were puking oil. After I took the lift off, I heard of problems with the rear spacers from others on this forum. I looked at mine, which I was saving for my wife's XK and sure enough, one of them had started to split. OME is much better quality, as reflected in the price. Plus, when you do a spring lift, you don't relocate the strut, which risks the balljoints reaching their limit before the strut bottoms out (the designed limiting factor to downward travel). The negative is you have less available downward travel with a spring lift, but your strut will top out before the balljoints do. As a plug for Superlift, I love the setup. I have not had a single issue with the lift in over a year now, not even with anything loosening or whatever. I have the SSR shocks which are a dream and I upgraded to bilsteins in the front, though I honestly don't notice much difference in ride, but I like knowing I have a high quality strut. The superlift will cost just south of 3K installed in most cases. If you're going to keep your commander for a while and you like to off road, it's worth it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can you explain the issue with the rear spacers on the RR lift? I guess I missed that on my search the past few days. I've got a RR lift on the way!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts