Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time poster and first time jeep owner! I recently bought a '07 XK with 70,000 miles sport with 3.7L as my everyday driver. I'm replacing the stock corroded 17"wheels with some Rubicon 18" ones to beef it up some. I need to put a leveling kit on it to get the clearance. Right now it's between the Rough Country or the Rocky Road Outfitters. I like the RRO cause I can buy new control arms/struts/shocks and lift as opposed to just the spacers from RC. Any problems with either??? Any input would be greatly appreciated and alternative ideas. Thanks

·
Administrator
6,242 Posts
Hello everyone, first time poster and first time jeep owner! I recently bought a '07 XK with 70,000 miles sport with 3.7L as my everyday driver. I'm replacing the stock corroded 17"wheels with some Rubicon 18" ones to beef it up some. I need to put a leveling kit on it to get the clearance. Right now it's between the Rough Country or the Rocky Road Outfitters. I like the RRO cause I can buy new control arms/struts/shocks and lift as opposed to just the spacers from RC. Any problems with either??? Any input would be greatly appreciated and alternative ideas. Thanks
Welcome to the forum Merleam;

They are both reputable lifts;

I would say the 2 inch Rough Country lift is probably more popular.

It's really matter of preference I guess - you cant still replace the individual components you mentioned with the RRO lift - you just have to buy them separately.

I actually prefer to do it that way - because I was able to pick the individual components that I wanted - as opposed to getting stuck with components that someone else thought would work well together - but that's just me.

I chose Bilstein 4600's (Part # 24-186797) in the front and Bilstein 5100's (Part # 33-225807) in the rear and I replaced my rear springs with Mopar Hemi-rated rear coil springs (JustForJeeps Part #'s 52124213AA & 52124214AA). I also replaced my stock UCA's with JBA Upper Control Arms for lifted XKs (Part # JBA-6.7.00-SLB).

Like I said, it's really just a matter of your personal preference - they are both solid, proven lifts.

Here are some links to help you out with your aftermarket shopping;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

Crawl Off-Road - https://crawloffroad.com/cart.php?ta...&category_id=3

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome!

I have lots of experience with lifts on my KJ Liberty and have helped people deal with RRO's quality control issues and trying to get their Jeep operating with the suspension out of whack from RRO's parts. I would advise staying away from RRO to avoid problems.

BigBlue installed new springs on his XK when he decided to lift and level it, and I did the same. Blue went with Mopar Hemi springs while I went with OME springs and Bilstein shocks - and I'd recommend you replace the springs and shocks on yours as well. The factory springs are not the best and even if your XK is low miles it has sagged quite a bit and putting an RC lift kit on it doesn't fix the springs/shocks issue. And frankly when you put in the RC spacers you're 80% of the way to installing new springs and shocks anyway.

What part of the country are you in? If you're NOT in the rust belt your life got even better in being able to remove the clevis-to-lower control arm bolt. If you are in the rust belt you may be in luck and be able to get it out anyway.

Give us some details: Your location, what model and how many miles on your XK, etc.

Looking forward to helping out!

Bob

·
Administrator
6,242 Posts
Welcome!

Give us some details: Your location, what model and how many miles on your XK, etc.

Looking forward to helping out!

Bob
Howdy Bob; from his original post;

Merleam said:
I recently bought a '07 XK with 70,000 miles sport with 3.7L as my everyday driver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@TwoBobsXK

I am running RRO 2.5" lift on my XK. I was happy with the spacers but was very displeased with the shocks they had in their kit (should've purchased bilsteins). You mentioned the RRO components causing suspension to be out of whack. Can you elaborate on that a bit more. I guess I'm concerned reading that as I don't want my lift to cause damage to other compenents. Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
@TwoBobsXK

I am running RRO 2.5" lift on my XK. I was happy with the spacers but was very displeased with the shocks they had in their kit (should've purchased bilsteins). You mentioned the RRO components causing suspension to be out of whack. Can you elaborate on that a bit more. I guess I'm concerned reading that as I don't want my lift to cause damage to other compenents. Thanks
They have a system called an "over the top" spacer in conjunction with springs and shocks that gives significant lift. The problem is the 'over the top' part is not manufactured to tolerance and the bolts don't fit in the shock tower - and the owners typically just try to mash to bolts through the factory holes because the shock tower is already assembled and rather than tear it all apart to get a replacement they just stuff it in there. Then their upper control arms suffer from the same sloppy tolerances and either don't fit in the pockets in the wheel well or don't line up with the spindle. Owners end up with a front suspension that is out of whack and impossible to get properly aligned. Better to go with JBA - more expensive yes, but the parts fit and the customer service is impeccable.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
They have a system called an "over the top" spacer in conjunction with springs and shocks that gives significant lift. The problem is the 'over the top' part is not manufactured to tolerance and the bolts don't fit in the shock tower - and the owners typically just try to mash to bolts through the factory holes because the shock tower is already assembled and rather than tear it all apart to get a replacement they just stuff it in there. Then their upper control arms suffer from the same sloppy tolerances and either don't fit in the pockets in the wheel well or don't line up with the spindle. Owners end up with a front suspension that is out of whack and impossible to get properly aligned. Better to go with JBA - more expensive yes, but the parts fit and the customer service is impeccable.

Bob
Thanks for the detailed info. We put the lift on and we did have a few issues with the front shock assembly but did eventually get it in place and tightened down. Everything seemed to line up okay, but the alignment took about 4-6 hours, but they got it done. I do plan to get the JBA Upper Control Arms eventually as well and maybe at that time I'll upgrade my lift.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 2" Rough Country lift has been good to me. Been about 8 years with mine. Great handling, great tire wear, and very little rattles or bumps. I added 265/70/17 tires to my stock wheels. At first I added 1.5" wheel spacers, but removed them after a few years. They aren't really needed in my case. I do have very minor rubbing at steering full stop, but I just don't turn the wheel that far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy smokes guys thanks for the replies!
One more question, I haven’t done the work yet but I think I’m going with the RC spacer with bilstein shock and struts, do I need to replace the coils too???

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the Rough Country last year. My jeep buddies were impressed with the RC quality. I'm happy with it. Be prepared to replace the lower shock bolts and bushing. Mine were in petty bad shape. You have it all tore apart so its easier to to do it at that time. I also did ball joints and hub bearings. ( one of my hub bearings was bad) (all prts found on amazon) You will also need s Superchips Flashpaq so you can change the tire size in the computer. This is for the electronic stability program which will engage when truing sharp corners do to the larger tires.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Holy smokes guys thanks for the replies!
One more question, I haven’t done the work yet but I think I’m going with the RC spacer with bilstein shock and struts, do I need to replace the coils too???
You won't need to replace the coils unless they've sagged significantly. After 150k miles mine have sagged enough to need replacing, but minus some bottoming out on large bumps I haven't seen any major issues with the RC lift installed. If you were to replace the coils as well, then you'd be better off going for OME springs instead of an RC lift.

When shopping for your lift, also look into the Crown lift, which I've mentioned in one of my threads. It's the same as the RC lift, just slightly cheaper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. Finally getting ready to put this pig together, last question. With the RC lift should I go with the bilstein 4600 or 5100 rear shocks????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
229D7B45-9D90-4FF5-AA54-CDAAE64BC619_1519790959397.jpg 878DB39A-219D-4C44-919E-6989FC85968A_1519790935351.jpg
Here is before and after of new rubicon rims/wheels. Still pre lift, I’ll update pics once the lift is on

·
Registered
33 Posts
With all this information I'll probably go with a full set of 5100s and the original springs until I can get also a full set of OME HDs. That should fit my needs nicely.

·
Administrator
6,242 Posts
Ok. Finally getting ready to put this pig together, last question. With the RC lift should I go with the bilstein 4600 or 5100 rear shocks????
Bilstein 5100's are slightly longer and will give your rear axle a little more travel, so, that would be the better choice over the long haul.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts