Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know what i did right, but i guess i was doing something pretty well. i was cruising on a back hwy a week or so ago (i try to avoid heavy traffic at all costs) when i looked down and noticed my avg mpgs. damn!!

and then a few minutes later when i stopped at the next light i took another pic:

this is absolutely the best MPG i've ever gotten in this vehicle! and yes my computer is all correct. i had an oil change done today and had them give everything a good once-over and my jeep is running perfect other than a future tranny flush needed in the next 5k miles or so and some mud packed in my treads. i have zero mods on my jeep so far other than a snazzy window decal, and as far as i know i'm running the stock plugs still. i keep my air filter clean, i'm light on the skinny pedal, and i make it my mission to never accelerate above 2k rpm. it'll be fun to see if i can get better than this in the future. when i first bought it i was lucky to get 12 in the city and 18 on the hwy. now i get 14-15 in the city and always over 20 on the hwy. things are looking up :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My wife's commute is a long backroad where the speed limit ranges from 45-55. In every vehicle we've ever owned, the best gas mileage is always achieved at the 50-55 mph range. Once you go over 55 it starts dropping off again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Never mind I saw the first pic I asume that's how fast you were going. Oh also another thing I notice is you have a 2wd maybe taht also helps you. That is still preatty good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i dont know what i did right, but i guess i was doing something pretty well. i was cruising on a back hwy a week or so ago (i try to avoid heavy traffic at all costs) when i looked down and noticed my avg mpgs. damn!!

and then a few minutes later when i stopped at the next light i took another pic:

this is absolutely the best MPG i've ever gotten in this vehicle! and yes my computer is all correct. i had an oil change done today and had them give everything a good once-over and my jeep is running perfect other than a future tranny flush needed in the next 5k miles or so and some mud packed in my treads. i have zero mods on my jeep so far other than a snazzy window decal, and as far as i know i'm running the stock plugs still. i keep my air filter clean, i'm light on the skinny pedal, and i make it my mission to never accelerate above 2k rpm. it'll be fun to see if i can get better than this in the future. when i first bought it i was lucky to get 12 in the city and 18 on the hwy. now i get 14-15 in the city and always over 20 on the hwy. things are looking up :)
Wind is a HUGE factor. You maybe had a strong tailwind?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only time I see 25+ MPG is if I reset it, while going down a long hill, with my foot off the gas. lol

Good on you for getting good mileage. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i have a 2wd and i'm sure that helps too (less weight) but not by much, maybe 1mpg difference? and i could've had a good tail wind i'm not sure, i dont really remember the weather that day other than it was sunny as usual. but if the wind was pushing me a bit then the brick shape came in handy. whatever it was it made me smile :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so far so good. i spent some time wandering the desert yesterday with no problems. would be nice to have 4wd for the boat ramps though.

·
Banned
389 Posts
I get between 15 & 16 mpg w/ my modified 4.7 L. (305 hp. base 2008 model). I feel lucky to get that in such a large vehicle like a Commander, and I don't mind because the offset is a big safe vehicle that does excellent in snow! I dropped mileage with the Superchips tuning but gained it back with the K&N so with mine having both main bolt on power adders I'm still getting roughly the same mpg that it got new (but with roughly 30 extra horsepower to boot).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh and 24 is with a v6awd and with baggage for 4 people. Yea I could never own a suv/truck if it wasnt awd/4wd.... Just seems to defeat the purpose of it, might aswell have a van.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
My Commander EVIC mileage is a little optimistic. Despite the MPG reads out in numbers, it is really more like a fuel gauge, telling you better or worse, rather than the actual mileage. Mine is ofter as many as 3 MPH high for a tank.

Having a Commander with the 4.7 and an accelerator cable rather than the drive by wire is key to good mileage. 06, 07 and maybe 08s had a cable, later models have the drive by wire system.

I find with drive by wire I tend to goose the accelerator to compensate for the computer lag. The cable gives you direct control of the throttle plate where you can use finesse to apply power for constant even acceleration.

I find having a V8 and a light foot gets better mileage on a heavy vehicle. Having greater power and torque available keeps the motor from being over worked and in turn gives better fuel economy.

The Commander has fairly good acceleration even keeping the tach right at 2k.
Even calculating miles driven and gallons used by hand, I can get 14 city and 20 highway in the summer months. Winter takes a toll of about 2 MPG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts