Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I did a little searching, but most of this page is about full exhaust systems and the muffler stuff is a couple years old. I'm looking for the absolute deepest rumble on the market in a muffler. I want that V8 sound, but I don't want to wake everyone up. Just a deep growl.

What's the best option for the 4.7L today? I've read Flowmaster and Magnaflow are the best options, but what model for both brand names gives the deepest rumble?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hey all,

I did a little searching, but most of this page is about full exhaust systems and the muffler stuff is a couple years old. I'm looking for the absolute deepest rumble on the market in a muffler. I want that V8 sound, but I don't want to wake everyone up. Just a deep growl.

What's the best option for the 4.7L today? I've read Flowmaster and Magnaflow are the best options, but what model for both brand names gives the deepest rumble?

Thanks
Are you looking for just a muffler - or a cat-back system?

If you want just a muffler, I think a 3 chamber Flow-Master is probably your best bet, it will give you a nice V-8 rumble but will not be obnoxiously loud and it will still give your engine good back-pressure.

If you want a cat-back system, check out this thread & video and you can make your own decision:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/52-exhaust/56890-afe-mach-force-xp-3-cat-back-stainless-steel-exhaust-system-w-polished-tip.html

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Blue, that sounds full on BEAST MODE. Nice!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Blue, that sounds full on BEAST MODE. Nice!
Thanks Rick.

When I first decided to do this exhaust modification, I did it with the hopes of maybe picking up a couple of extra HP & improving my MPG's a little bit.

I never really gave any thought to how much different it would sound.

As it turned out, it the sound difference was very noticeable - even when sitting idle & during normal driving.

That was a nice bonus.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I'm debating on upgrading the exhaust now. I'm concerned about losing low end toque, and while freer flowing exhaust will bump up both horsepower and torque, but it moves it towards the upper end of the power curve. As much as it's fun to brag about XXX horsepower and XXX torque, I want to have low end grunt for the trails. I think the bottleneck in the Commander hemis is really the exhaust manifolds. if I could only figure out a way to squeeze a diesel electric drive in the XK....gobs of instant torque!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Blue, that sounds awesome - perfect rumble and V8 'wap wap wap.'

Gonna keep that AFE system on my mod list for sure. Thanks for the post :thumbsup:

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Blue, that sounds awesome - perfect rumble and V8 'wap wap wap.'

Gonna keep that AFE system on my mod list for sure. Thanks for the post :thumbsup:

Bob
Happy to help Bob.

I'm not really a fan of You-Tubing videos of myself, this is actually the first and only time I've ever done it and I actually did this at the request of another forum member a while back.

I guess sometimes a video is worth a 1,000 words.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
There isn't enough information there for me to tell.

That might be a 2 chamber flowmaster which is a cheaper muffler - it sounds louder but you lose alot of back pressure and some low end torque as a result.

You want the 3 chamber flowmaster - which is a little more expensive, but has higher quality baffling, so it's a little quieter - but you don't lose any back-pressure or torque.

I'll do a quick search and see if I can find the one I'm talking about.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too many options.... Just looking for a muffler to tie into the factory piping that has the deepest rumble possible. Should be easy, but I'm reading mixed info

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Too many options.... Just looking for a muffler to tie into the factory piping that has the deepest rumble possible. Should be easy, but I'm reading mixed info
I've done a couple of searches and it does not appear that Flowmaster makes a 3 chamber muffler for Jeep Commanders which is too bad.

I've only found the 2 chamber Flowmasters for Commander's with the 4.7L which was the same as the one in the link you posted earlier.

Mufflers are important - you really don't want to sacrifice engine back-pressure and low end torque just for a louder exhaust sound - or at least I wouldn't.

If you just want the louder sound and aren't worried about anything else then go ahead and pull the trigger, it's cheap enough.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, power loss isn't an issue at all. It's a toy that will be used on camping trips, light trail riding (Jeep Fest) and beach trips. More interested in just making the Jeep sound good as the poor thing has sounded terrible for a while with the exhaust ticking / sputtering. I found a local shop that is going to replace both sides with new parts and I asked him what size muffler I would need to look for and he informed me they have an exhaust machine and not to worry about pipe size.

That's a good thing as the door opens up to get a more common size muffler which is cheaper, obviously. That said. What route should I take? From what I've read the 4.7L is 2.5" from the motor and it shrinks to 2.25". Is this accurate? If so, should I just get a muffler with 2.5" on both sides? Go to 3"? I know NOTHING about this stuff so any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've done a couple of searches and it does not appear that Flowmaster makes a 3 chamber muffler for Jeep Commanders which is too bad.

I've only found the 2 chamber Flowmasters for Commander's with the 4.7L which was the same as the one in the link you posted earlier.

Mufflers are important - you really don't want to sacrifice engine back-pressure and low end torque just for a louder exhaust sound - or at least I wouldn't.

If you just want the louder sound and aren't worried about anything else then go ahead and pull the trigger, it's cheap enough.

Hi guys, the 50 series or Super 50 are both 3 chambers and will fit the Commander you can even go larger to the 70 series (but I wouldn't). I've spent hours and hours over this stuff although I've gone full circle and back to hopefully getting either the 18" or 22" straight through Magnaflow. Deeper fuller growl, better performance from what I have heard and read...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts