Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys recommend for an oil filter.. I just bought 5qt's of Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance oil.. By the looks of it, the manual has the wrong part # oil filter in it..

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the link.. I normally use WIX filters so I guess they will be fine for my 3.7L as well..

Just watched this video, WOW, I wouldn't put a Fram on my lawn mower..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love wix and royal purple filters I have used both with good sucess i will say the royal purple is heavier than the wix
Yup, I have allways used the WIX filters on anything I had that was gas. I just got rid of a diesel Ford truck that had to have Motorcraft filters due to a valve at the bottom of the oil filter housing.. Glad that junkbox is gone..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wix for a standard filter (Napa Gold), or mobile 1/KN if you are going to run longer intervals. They both have a synthetic media inside

·
Registered
87 Posts
best oil filter

in my opinion if you want the best oil filter go with the mopar brand. you can pick them up at the dealer,most auto parts stores or wal-mart for like 6bucks. not sure about the 3.7 but my 4.7 takes part# Mo90.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was easier just to pickup the WIX #51516 for this change.. I do like the quality of the WIX filters and allways have.. I posted just to make sure there wasn't one that was no good for the 3.7L engine.. I like the bypass part of the WIX, I'll go Mopar or WIX in the future I guess.. I'm just glad I got the Mobil 1 Extented Performance 5W30 in it.. It had a POS carquest filter on it and it was barley even screwed on and the oil looked like crap and it only had 900 miles on it..

Thanks for all the input..

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Engine Oil Viscosity (3.7L/4.7L/5.7L Engines) SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. Use Mopar or an equivalent oil meeting the specification MS-6395.

Be advised Mobil Synthetics do not meet the specification MS-6395.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super

I only post this for anyone with an extended warranty.

I had to go back and look, I was tracking this a few years ago, and supposedly it was in testing 2-3 years ago, but still not showing up on Mobil-1 data sheets. It is approved on regular Mobil non-synthetic oil. I would say its fine to use, but if you have a warranty with a Chrysler stealership, they could screw you over this. Stealerships use Pennzoil synthetics, so it’s probably some political issue…..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts