Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some of you guys that have went thru a few oil changes give me a recommendation on brands/types of oils that run good in 4.7 commander?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe the factory recommends 5-30w, what I've always done on my daily drivers and summer toys is after the first 500-750 miles change the oil with the high quality oil of your choice, not synthetic, run another 750 to 1000 miles any swap to synthetic, I like Mobil one but Royal Purple, Red line and a host of others offer quality synthetics. If you building a high performance motor, add another 2 oil changes, one after the first 10 minutes of run in, and another at the 50-100 mile range, again do not break in a motor with synthetics. This procedure has served me well from a 4 cylinder, 120hp Ranger to a 800hp Chevelle, I have yet to toss a motor.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Since my dealer service dept. keeps banker's hours, I just went to Lube Center at 3K miles and got an oil change with 5W-30 Penzoil - the 4.7L is a bit of an older design - I'm thinking I'm just going to stick with conventional oil.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Synthetic is worth the investment regardless of the engine design, opinions my vary but a good synthetic after break in will limit wear and increase HP.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I buy Molil 1 at Costco for 26.00 a six pack and my dealer charges me 19.95 for a filter and labor, so lets say it's 50.00 every three thousand miles. I like the fact that if I stretch it to 4 thousand I have that additional protection. Mobil also just released a 5000 mile synthetic and a Truck and SUV synthetic, I believe the long life synthetic would be very cost effective, you figure you would be doing two standard oil changes to one synthetic so cost wise it should be a wash and you get the extra protection.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't personally buy into the whole 3000 mile oil change theory (unless you're towing or driving under extremelly demanding conditions)...I did it for this car because it's new (safety for break-in, etc) but cars equipped with on-board oil analyzers quite often indicate standard motor oils can last from 6K to 12K miles. The majority of my driving is highway - I'll probably stick with the schedule A in the long run. I've driven 5 previous vehicles into the ground (most with 200K miles and up) and the engines were never the ultimate failure mode.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For all I know you may be right on the 3K theory, I've always run Mobil 1 thats what works for me, my thought always was if it's good enough for every Porsche that leaves the factory than its good enough for me, do I think synthetics are better than conventional oil, yes, it's been proven, but there are plenty of people than run standard oil with no ill effects, I just like knowing I have the extra protection.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Obviously, changing oil at 3K miles can't hurt, and using synthetic oil (as directed by car mfr's) can't hurt. I'm just the type that drives close to 3K miles/month, so it gets to be a bit much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Commander is not a daily driver so I might put on 5000 miles a year, I could see where it would get old dropping $50.00 a month for oil changes. I don't put synthetic in my company car and I've yet to blown it up (god knows I've tried) as long as you do regular oil changes I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run mobil one 5w-20 just like the good book says. Personally, I think this is a bit thin, but it is what is reccomended.
As for the whole 3000 mile change thing, just how dirty your oil becomes should be a strong factor when deciding to change it. Keep the air filter CLEAN, blow it off with an air hose from time to time. A rechargable K&N works great. I drove a 4.7gc for five years before i sold it. Ran 20w50 mobil 1 and kept the air filter clean. had oil changed at 5000 mi intervals. Never a hiccup!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts