Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really like to hear about the tire choices some of you have made...I plan on keeping the Stock Clad rims.

Im planning on a 4" superlift in about a month and would like hear about your experience likes/dislikes about your choice.

To loud on the road?
Wears down to fast?

My general Over all opinion.......

BFG MT looks good
MTZ MT looks good but might be overkill for 85%/15% Highway to Offroad Usage

Please suggest others..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I have the BFG MT and I love them, they are a little louder but not enough to scare me off.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Basically you need to decide first if you want an All Terrain or a Mud Terrain. Obviously an All Terrian will have better road manners and last a lot longer due to the tread compound. However there are a few Mud Terrains out there that won't be crazy loud and still have decent road manners. I have the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar and they are actually quiet for a mud terrain. They are also very good on the wet roads which really surprised me. However if you dont plan to off road that often they might be a little overkill as they are very aggressive and wont last nearly as long as an All Terrain. Another big factor is how much money do you plan on spending. The bigger the tire and more aggressive the tire you buy the more money you are going to spend.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 285/70/17 is a nice tire, I need to do some measuring to see if it will fit with the lift but I think it will. Kinda of an expensive tire but looks like it would be quite on the highway, how long have you had your tires and what are they rated at for usage (Miles)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 285/70/17 is a nice tire, I need to do some measuring to see if it will fit with the lift but I think it will. Kinda of an expensive tire but looks like it would be quite on the highway, how long have you had your tires and what are they rated at for usage (Miles)

You should have no problems what so ever getting the 285/70R17 MT/R to fit on your XK with a 4 inch lift. I have had the tires since April and have about 5,000 miles on them. Im not sure how many miles they are rated for but mine seem to be wearing normal.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i have close to 40K on my BFG muds. I'll be replacing the rear tires because when they were up front and i didn't get it aligned until it was too late. my camber was really screwed up and wore out the outside of the tire.

in my opinion the BFG's are the best tire for the money. They wear great, have good road manners, and work good in everything except ice!

i do about 60% on road / 40% off-road with my tires.

·
2,248 Posts
I have some advice that comes from a slightly different direction. I think that any of the large tires may cause you to seriously consider upgrading your Upper Control Arms and especially your front ball joints. I was with Phunkeydude when in my opinion his large and heavy tires literally pulled his ball joint apart on the trail. You can do a search and read the thread on this subject. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the big tires are much better for clearance and off road use. Just an old goy giving some advice.

Here is the link:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5272&highlight=break

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have some advice that comes from a slightly different direction. I think that any of the large tires may cause you to seriously consider upgrading your Upper Control Arms and especially your front ball joints. I was with Phunkeydude when in my opinion his large and heavy tires literally pulled his ball joint apart on the trail. You can do a search and read the thread on this subject. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the big tires are much better for clearance and off road use. Just an old goy giving some advice.

Here is the link:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5272&highlight=break
My opinion is his ball joint breakage wasn't primarily due to his large heavy tires. My tires are smaller then Phunkeydude and actually weigh more then his do due to the extra ply of Kevlar. His breakage was due to his extreme angle of his ball joint, which was a result of the extra spacers he used on the front to achieve more lift. Had he not had those spacers in the front end, the ball joint probablly wouldn't have failed. The superlift puts everything back to almost stock configuration. Also he had different ball joints on his commander. They were supoposed to be an upgraded Heavy Duty ball joint but turned out not to be so Heavy Duty after all. For all we know the stock ball joints could have been stronger then the SPC ball joints. This is just my .02 so take it as you will. Just remember, there are other members with the 4 inch superlift running the same size tires as phunkeydude, with no problems what so ever. There have only been a handful of individuals between the XK and WK community that have broke their ball joints and each and every one of the had some sort of extra spacer in the front to achieve more lift.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My opinion is his ball joint breakage wasn't primarily due to his large heavy tires. My tires are smaller then Phunkeydude and actually weigh more then his do due to the extra ply of Kevlar. His breakage was due to his extreme angle of his ball joint, which was a result of the extra spacers he used on the front to achieve more lift. Had he not had those spacers in the front end, the ball joint probablly wouldn't have failed. The superlift puts everything back to almost stock configuration. Also he had different ball joints on his commander. They were supoposed to be an upgraded Heavy Duty ball joint but turned out not to be so Heavy Duty after all. For all we know the stock ball joints could have been stronger then the SPC ball joints. This is just my .02 so take it as you will. Just remember, there are other members with the 4 inch superlift running the same size tires as phunkeydude, with no problems what so ever. There have only been a handful of individuals between the XK and WK community that have broke their ball joints and each and every one of the had some sort of extra spacer in the front to achieve more lift.
Exactly what i understood as well...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Straight from SPC:

We have examined the ball joints you returned and determined that both were damaged due to over travel. You can see in the attached picture (03) that the intact ball joint that came off the left front of your vehicle was almost pried apart. Both ball joints have deep scores in the retaining rings from the ball studs making contact with them (picture 02). The ball stud is acting as a lever and prying the retaining ring right out of the housing. This was not apparent on the left-side ball joint until we removed the boot.
From your pictures we can see that your lift kit retains the stock pivot points for the upper control arm but lowers the strut mount significantly. This angles the upper control arm down more than was intended and causes the ball joints to over travel at full rebound.For this reason we cannot approve a warranty claim on these units and strongly recommend that you do not use our ball joints on your vehicle as modified.

This was all due to his extra spacers. If the spacers werent there the angle would have been almost identical to the angle of a stock XK.

·
2,248 Posts
I am glad that you cleared that up. I really thought it was the added weight of the big tires. In that case sorry I warned you about something needlessly. After watching Tom lift his right front tire I just connected his big heavy tires to the breakdown.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am glad that you cleared that up. I really thought it was the added weight of the big tires. In that case sorry I warned you about something needlessly. After watching Tom lift his right front tire I just connected his big heavy tires to the breakdown.
Well dont get me wrong, im sure the added weight of the tire played a roll in the breakage. However my opinion is that the steep angle of the ball joint was a bigger factor. I dont know how many times I have had one of my front tires off the ground like phunkeydude did yet my ball joints look brand new and show no signs of wear. My XK also has twice as many miles as his and I bought it brand new less then two years ago.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Can anyone confirm that the 285/70R/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar must have the white lettering facing outwards? I'm just not sure I want the white lettering showing, do they come in just black lettering for this size?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the 285/70R/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar must have the white lettering facing outwards? I'm just not sure I want the white lettering showing, do they come in just black lettering for this size?
285/70R17
Outlined White Letters Serv. Desc: 121/118Q
Load Range D
Price: $263.00 (each)

That particular size only comes with white walls on the outside. There are actually only a handful of them that are designed to have the blackwall facing out. Since these tires have an asymetrical design you can't just mount the white wall on the inside like most people do. I personally don't like white walls out, however I dont think that it actually looks all that bad with these tires.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Uhhh,
I'm missing something here.....
Since the tires are labelled left side/right side, to achieve white letters not showing, wouldn't it stand to reason they could be crossed, thereby maintaining the correct rotation?
I.E. left sides on right, right sides on left?
Or are the outer (white letter side) shoulder lugs so different they must remain to the outside?
With apologies for what may seem a dumb..s question in advance,
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Uhhh,
I'm missing something here.....
Since the tires are labelled left side/right side, to achieve white letters not showing, wouldn't it stand to reason they could be crossed, thereby maintaining the correct rotation?
I.E. left sides on right, right sides on left?
Or are the outer (white letter side) shoulder lugs so different they must remain to the outside?
With apologies for what may seem a dumb..s question in advance,
Rob
The tread pattern on the new MT/R's is unlike most tread patterns. Its asymetrical. However they are not a directional tire. With this being said, the foot print that the driver's side tires will make is different then the foot print that the passenger side tires will make.

The tires are labled on both side. For that particular tire it will say "This Side Out" on the side with the white wall and "This side in" on the opposite side. They must be mounted on the wheel like this. The shoulder with the one lug should always be on the inside and the shoulder with the two lugs on the outside.

You can do a normal (4) tire rotation with these tires. All this sounds weird but its correct!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Those Kevlars are awesome.. I am running Firestone Destination A/Ts and they are starting to get louder and louder to the point they are annoying and I can hear them esp on the freeway. They keep reminding me, " Don't drive past 80 mph!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was a great question and answered a question I had. I am also wondering if anyone can recommend a good 4x4 shop in the Twin City, MN area?
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts