Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All - Hope you are having a great holiday!

I need some advice - Please :D

I need to replace the sorry Goodyear Fortera's that Jeep mated with this great machine! Why they would put such a lousy tire on the XK is just beyond me :confused:

After researching this forum and the internet I am pretty set on purchasing BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 245/70 - 17 tires. - which from everything I read on this forum will work just fine without lifting the XK.

I went to my local tire shop today - (which is where I always purchase my tires) and inquired about the BFG AT T/A KO and they were a bit perplexed as to why I would want to put such a tire on this Jeep. I expalined that it IS Trail Rated AND I do go off road trail riding a good bit. I also explained that I like the look of the BFG tires.

The reason they are questioning my decision is because ,they claim, this tire (BGF A/T T/A KO 245/70-17) is a 10 ply tire and will provide an extreemly rough ride.

My Question 1- Does anyone know the specs for this tire - meaning is it 10 ply or 4 ply?

My Question 2 - For those who are running this tire - what is the ride quality? I understand that there will be a bit more road noise but also (from what I read) is not very bad.

I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't know about the 10 or 4 ply question, maybe check BFG's site?
I think the ride quality is GREAT, definitely firmer, but it just makes the whole truck feel more solid and less "stationwagon-ey" . As for the noise, there is not a tremendous amount more noise than the stock forteras, and that is mostly at lower speeds.... parking lots, city streets, etc.
They have really good all-around off road traction, as well.
I guess it sounds like I would recommend them
-Hemi

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Load range C= 6 ply

Load range D= 8 Ply

Load range E= 10 ply

Most BFG AT KOs are LT rated, so they will ride rougher than a P rated tire, which is a 4-ply passenger car tire, since they're usually for light trucks. Most people who run ATs on an SUV will go for a C range tire for a good balance of ride and durability. You just have to run them at higher pressure to keep the ride smooth and the tire wear good.

I prefer the GY Silent Armors but that's just personal preference since I don't seriously off-road my XK. The ATs are also a decent all-around tire, so it all comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Better find another dealer that knows about tires. BFG AT KO'S are THREE PLY, I ought to know I have a set of 33x10.50 that I use for street and light offroading on my TJ. Outstanding tire, quiet, works well in snow and rain etc etc. It is a LT tire so less likely to puncture. The only drawback is the squarish edge of the tire compared to rounded on PT tires. Thus there is a POSSABILITY it will rub on full turns of the size is right close to maximum.
If you get them let us know how they fit and all as thats the tire I was planning to upgrade too. john

·
Registered
217 Posts
John said:
Better find another dealer that knows about tires. BFG AT KO'S are THREE PLY, I ought to know I have a set of 33x10.50 that I use for street and light offroading on my TJ. Outstanding tire, quiet, works well in snow and rain etc etc. It is a LT tire so less likely to puncture. The only drawback is the squarish edge of the tire compared to rounded on PT tires. Thus there is a POSSABILITY it will rub on full turns of the size is right close to maximum.
If you get them let us know how they fit and all as thats the tire I was planning to upgrade too. john
The tires you have are different than the tires in question...

The size in question is a 10 ply (E) tire. I researched this 2 months ago and my local tire guy also confirmed this. It will be a much rougher ride, but the Commander is fairly heavy, depending on configuration.

I'd like to hear someone with this tire comment on the ride quality.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK Guys - here is the delima... I just got off the phone with BFG - they do not make a A/T T/A KO in 245/70-17! :(

Since I am not ready to put a lift on the XK just yet.. it seems I need to stick with a tire no larger than the 245/70-17 - right?? :confused:

SO... here are the choices I seem to have narrowed down to:

- Pirelli Scorpion ATR
- Very good reviews overall -

- Bridgestone Dueler Revo
- Reviews seem very good - except for the short life.

- Michelin LTX A/T2
- Always been a Michelin fan and the reviews are OK but I would expect better ratings for a Michelin tire.

Anyone have experiace with any of the above or other tires that you would recomend?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about the Wrangler SilentArmor and I plan on getting those mid next year also.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CrzCajun - how do you like the Rusty's 2" lift? I am wanting to lift later this year - probably late summer. Any issues?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rubicontrail.net said:
Goodyear WRANGLER SilentArmor.
Not a huge fan of Goodyear but will certianly consider. I have read - mainly in this forum - good reviews on the Wrangler SA.

Do any of the tire manufacturers make a tire that last more than 50K miles anymore ? :confused: I am use to getting 80+K on a set of Michelins.

·
Registered
397 Posts
HemiCommander said:
Do any of the tire manufacturers make a tire that last more than 50K miles anymore ? :confused: I am use to getting 80+K on a set of Michelins.
Yes you can, I've had great luck with Goodyear Aqua Treads. I keep the pressure up and rotate regularly and they last forever. Downside - they are the quintessential soccer mom tire. IMHO, the best all around tire on pavement I've ever owned. Very surefooted, but some find them loud.

I think whenever you start looking for better handling or performance either on road or off the manufacturers sting you twice - purchase price then treadwear. And I don't think it is an accident.

Need to edit to disclose that the above was on our Honda Odyssey - guaranteed for 80k and you could bank on it. The Fortera Line has the triple tread design guaranteed for 60k. Great in rain, snow and dry pavement, doubtlful off it. The Wrangler Silent Armors are almost as good on it and twice as good off it and guaranteed for the same 60k.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put 40,000 miles on a pair of BFG AT KO's on my Xterra. I was very impressed with the ride quality, and they are a beast off road. Great for rock climbing and they do a decent job of shedding mud when you are going through the sticky stuff. I always aired down to about 12, without beadlocks.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
HemiCommander said:
CrzCajun - how do you like the Rusty's 2" lift? I am wanting to lift later this year - probably late summer. Any issues?

Thanks for the feedback!
A lot of personnel in this forum, to include myself, were having problems with a thumping noise coming from the back shocks after the install. I continue to have this problem. I took it to a 4X4 shop and they took a look at it. They said that the bolt is not properly fitting into the sleeve which is moving around everytime you hit a bump. They called rusty's and they sent me a new sleeve which I haven't replaced yet. To fix it temporarily, they put some black tape around the bolt so there wouldn't be much play. It fixed it for a while, but is now doing it again. Rusty's customer service is very good. Those guys are willing to work with you.

I haven't heard of this problem with the Rocky Road lift kit, but their customer service sucks, at least from my experience.

I am overall happy with the lift itself. I think that it should come stock with the lift. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CrzCajun said:
A lot of personnel in this forum, to include myself, were having problems with a thumping noise coming from the back shocks after the install. I continue to have this problem. I took it to a 4X4 shop and they took a look at it. They said that the bolt is not properly fitting into the sleeve which is moving around everytime you hit a bump. They called rusty's and they sent me a new sleeve which I haven't replaced yet. To fix it temporarily, they put some black tape around the bump so there wouldn't be much play. It fixed it for a while, but is now doing it again. Rusty's customer service is very good. Those guys are willing to work with you.

I haven't heard of this problem with the Rocky Road lift kit, but their customer service sucks, at least from my experience.

I am overall happy with the lift itself. I think that it should come stock with the lift. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help. Maybe they will have addressed the issue by this summer when I order the kit.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Decision Made

OK - Since I cannot get the BFG T/A KOs in the size I need - and after another conversation with the tire shop I like dealing with - I have decided to go with Bridgestone Revo's (245/70-17). The down side is I they have to be special ordered and will not be in until late next week :(

I will keep you posted on the performace after the install and I hit both the road and a couple of trails.

Cheers! :D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Riddle said:
Great in rain, snow and dry pavement, doubtlful off it. The Wrangler Silent Armors are almost as good on it and twice as good off it and guaranteed for the same 60k.
Too bad ice is under the snow cause the stock tires just don't have it. The only saving grace imo is the Traction control with the stocks.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
HemiCommander said:
Anyone have experiace with any of the above or other tires that you would recomend?
Check out the Cooper Discoverer ATRs. I have them on my 4Runner and they are a great tire for the street and the trails. Much more aggressive than your OEM tires, but also quiet on the street. They rock in snow too, which is very important to me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts