Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an experience with these tires? They seem to get good reviews for snow traction. They are also supposedly very quiet and long-lasting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I had some on my Motero (biggest piece of JUNK I have ever owned) the tread didnt last very long even though I rotated and balanced every 3500 miles. Firestone said it was because of the weight of the vehicle!

·
Registered
35 Posts
On most of the forums I read, it seems that the BFG T/A All Terrains and the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos are the tire to have.

Personally, I have had excellent service from the Michelin LTX MS. I actually just traded the tires that came on my wife's Commander with 120 miles for a set at the tire shop that I use. It was well worth the $320 that I spent. I do not like the OEM Goodyears. I have never had good service from them.

Regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I will be putting LTX on mine, had them on my GC and the wife's mountaineer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've got the BFG Rugged Trails on my Jeep Cherokee (I've had them for about 1.5 yrs) - they wear very well and have great snow traction, ok wet traction, but I find the ride slightly harsher than the Michelins I had before them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
BFG is a great tire. We just put Bridgestone Revo's on our Grand Cherokee which our son drives. I think I would put the Revo's on instead of the Long Trails.:cool: Revo's have a better tread pattern IMO

·
Registered
473 Posts
IMO the best tire out there for all around traction is the Sport King. i think these are made by BFG.
i bought a truck that had brand new daytons on it and it would spin coming up a slight slope on wet grass in 2WD. after about a month of that i put the same size sport kings on and hardly ever put in 4WD after that.
this is the same truck with the same tires that i posted previously about driving on the beach in nags head and pulling out a stuck suburban.

they make them in different tread patterns. there is a sport king, a trail king and a mud king.
the sport kings are quiet on the road and seem to wear well. i had about 15,000 miles on mine and still had over 1/2 tread left.
the price is good (about $100 per tire) and the performance is excellent.
these tires may not have the same prestige as a michelin or good year but i would put them up against any tire on the market.

enough of my sales pitch, i have to call and see if i can get paid for this endorsement.:p

·
Registered
80 Posts
on my jeep sport i run cooper stt tyres they are great for up here as we have rocky roads no sand just rocks. on my jc I am thinking of putting cooper stc tyres because they are not so chunky and less road noise.
I have wrangler tyre on her at the moment and they just look like a normal road tyre even though they are 5 ply rating I wouldnt trust them on the dirt up here.
I have been been given a price of 365 australian dollars each if i buy six tyres as we always carry a second spare here.
I'll let you know what i end up getting.

·
Registered
541 Posts
just out of curiosity. The fact that you carry a second spare, is that the law there or personal preference? how do they fit the 2nd spare in JC?

·
Registered
80 Posts
no its not law but its better than walking the roads out here can eat some tyres. i usually lay the two rear seats down and throw the second spare in there. i have just had a price for a spare wheel carrier which goes on the back of the jc and its about two thousand dollars australian. but it will mean removing the entire rear bumper and replacing it with a light steel bumper with the carrier mounted on that on a swivel so the spare swings out when you wish to open the tailgate. a big modification.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to go with the Cooper Discoverer ATR. They have excellent reviews and should be awesome in the snow. Does anyone have any experience with these tires?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, my stock tire size is 265/65/17. I got the Discoverer ATRs in the same stock size, but I noticed that the actual tread width is 1 inch wider on the new tires. I guess Cooper runs wider than most tires of the same size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts