Jeep Commander Forum banner
241 - 260 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
This BTA10100 10 inch 100 watt self amplified Bazooka Tube is awesome!!!

All the quality bass you could want, what a great upgrade this was.
That looks a whole lot easier to manage than my dual 12s and separate amp, and definitely much easier to remove when needed.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
That looks a whole lot easier to manage than my dual 12s and separate amp, and definitely much easier to remove when needed.
It really does not take up very much room at all and to take it out, all I have to do is disconnect the wiring harness and it comes right out since I only have it held in place with 2 bungies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had 2 - 10" Bazooka tubes years and years ago with a monster kenwood amp pushing them. The bass quality and volume was amazing. I haven't had anything since that even gets close to them.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 · (Edited)
I had 2 - 10" Bazooka tubes years and years ago with a monster kenwood amp pushing them. The bass quality and volume was amazing. I haven't had anything since that even gets close to them.
This one is self amplified - it comes with it's own 100 watt amplifier and it sounds great, giving my system that nice rich bass that was missing - it has an adjustment knob in the back that I would call a gain control knob, I don't even have it half-way up and it's more than enough.

I also have a 10 inch passive Bazooka tube I ordered by mistake using a link that someone else sent me without really reading the product description - which is completely my fault. I don't think I can send it back for a refund at this point.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Repainted front bumper & Weathertech cargo mat.

I completely repainted my WAM front bumper by hand with a brush using black Rustoleum Bed-liner paint which seems to be a higher quality paint than the spray on bed-liner that WAM used - and it definitely coated a lot thicker. Here are some pics of the paint job and the new Weathertech rear cargo liner;

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have a home avr tuner with a powered sub port and the proper amp compatibility you may be able to put the unpowered zook in a corner of your living room.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 · (Edited)
If you have a home avr tuner with a powered sub port and the proper amp compatibility you may be able to put the unpowered zook in a corner of your living room.
That's a thought....I'm still pondering if I might find a way to incorporate this passive zook into Big Blue's stereo system somehow, I could always buy a separate amp for it and try to wire it in that way - but I don't know if I want to deal with that much clutter. One bazooka tube in the back is not bad, but 2 would be a little cumbersome I think. I'm still chewing on it.

Anyway, I'm on deployment until early November, so, it's on the back burner for now.

I do appreciate the feedback though @therym....thank you.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 · (Edited)
So, next on the to-do list is a brand new set of LT265/70/17's.....Not sure which brand yet.

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to add a set of 1 1/2 inch Spidertrax Wheel Spacers....right now my front tires just touch the inner wheel well at full turn, I'm sure that LT tires with thicker side-walls and a more aggressive tread pattern will rub more significantly, so, I will probably order a set of Spidertrax spacers and have them on standby for when I have the new LT tires mounted - if I can get away with not using them, I will....but I have a feeling I'm going to need them.

EDIT/Update: Thinking about Good Year Wrangler Duratracs LT285/70/17's (33's) - I think I can fit them with the 1 1/2 inch SpiderTrax wheel spacers.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 · (Edited)

I cant wait to see when you get those meats on there. I like big tire and low COG.
I'm still wrestling with this idea - I really don't want to go to a superlift, so, if my 4x4 guy can make enough room for these 285's with only some minor cutting, I'll pull the trigger but I'll have to visit him first and have him look at it and see what he thinks - which I can't do until early November.

Just adding the 285's will give me another inch of height essentially. I didn't realize until I looked at the info you just posted that they are almost an inch wider too.

Looking at that, I also have to make sure the 285's will fit on these rims - if they don't, it's game over right there because I just bought these rims a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I'm still wrestling with this idea - I really don't want to go to a superlift, so, if my 4x4 guy can make enough room for these 285's with only some minor cutting, I'll pull the trigger but I'll have to visit him first and have him look at it and see what he thinks - which I can't do until early November.

Just adding the 285's will give me another inch of height essentially. I didn't realize until I looked at the info you just posted that they are almost an inch wider too.

Looking at that, I also have to make sure the 285's will fit on these rims - if they don't, it's game over right there because I just bought these rims a few months ago.
Just FYI Exact tire sizes can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even model to model. More aggressive tread patterns tend to be a bit bigger then a mild a/t and duratracs always look a little bigger to me personally.

285s should be fine on your new wheels. They are 8-8.5" wide IIRC? Most wouldnt recommend it on the stock ones though.

I need new tires too. Badly. I'm thinking about 285s, but a bit lower aspect ratio (less sidewall) since the wife complains its a pain to climb into this thing. Thinking about going from 255/70/r18s to 285/60r18s

You could always go wider but the same height...

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Just FYI Exact tire sizes can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even model to model. More aggressive tread patterns tend to be a bit bigger then a mild a/t and duratracs always look a little bigger to me personally.

285s should be fine on your new wheels. They are 8-8.5" wide IIRC? Most wouldnt recommend it on the stock ones though.

I need new tires too. Badly. I'm thinking about 285s, but a bit lower aspect ratio (less sidewall) since the wife complains its a pain to climb into this thing. Thinking about going from 255/70/r18s to 285/60r18s

You could always go wider but the same height...

The rims I'm running now are 17 x 8 with 0mm offset and 4.5 inches of backspacing.

Sounds to me like you need to accommodate your other half lucky, you know what they say, happy wife happy life.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Just a quick update, I ordered set of 5 ( one for the spare) Goodyear Duratrac LT285/70/17's yesterday. Went to my local 4x4 shop and they tell me the tires will fit with some minor cutting, so, I'm game.

Just waiting for the tires - which make take a bit, thanks to Hurricane Michael.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 · (Edited)
Just a quick update, I ordered set of 5 ( one for the spare) Goodyear Duratrac LT285/70/17's yesterday. Went to my local 4x4 shop and they tell me the tires will fit with some minor cutting, so, I'm game.

Just waiting for the tires - which make take a bit, thanks to Hurricane Michael.
Just got a call from my local 4x4 shop, the tires are in.

I have to fly to Florida tonight to take care of some personal business and I'll be there for the next couple of days, so, I'm dropping Big Blue off Monday morning to have the tires mounted and for them to do whatever cutting is necessary to the front wheel tubs.

Can't wait to see how she looks when it's all said & done. Of course before & after pics will be forthcoming

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been keeping an eye out for when you do this! My setup will be very close to yours once I get all my new parts installed(hopefully this weekend). If it works out for you and it doesn't require a ton of modification, I may go that route. Only thing I may run into is having a stock front bumper, but that is something that is on my list.

Always a pleasure seeing what you do to Blue!

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
I've been keeping an eye out for when you do this! My setup will be very close to yours once I get all my new parts installed(hopefully this weekend). If it works out for you and it doesn't require a ton of modification, I may go that route. Only thing I may run into is having a stock front bumper, but that is something that is on my list.

Always a pleasure seeing what you do to Blue!
Thanks @Colt; You're right about the front bumper, getting rid of the stock bumper cover & front fascia simplifies things a bit. However, I know they are going to have to do some cutting in the front wheel tubs, it's just a matter of how much. I don't think they will have to do much of anything in the rear.

I'll post pics when it's all said & done next week.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 · (Edited)
Just got a call from my local 4x4 shop, the tires are in.

I have to fly to Florida tonight to take care of some personal business and I'll be there for the next couple of days, so, I'm dropping Big Blue off Monday morning to have the tires mounted and for them to do whatever cutting is necessary to the front wheel tubs.

Can't wait to see how she looks when it's all said & done. Of course before & after pics will be forthcoming
O.K. so, here is the update.....(Long Sigh....)

This has been a somewhat trying day on many levels - but, as far as Big Blue goes, I found out that my front lower control arm bushings are toast, so, I'm getting a new set of Moog Front lower control arms installed.

The much bigger issue is with the LT285/70/17 Good Year Duratracs; The tires are on, however even with the pinch weld mod and some trimming of the wheel tubs, the inner part of the door sills and removal of the front mud flaps; a large obstacle still remains;

There are heater/coolant lines on the rear of the front passengers wheel well that are causing a pretty significant problem; that being that when the wheel is cut hard right, the tire hits those lines and if I turned the wheel hard while the vehicle was moving, there is a pretty good chance those lines would rip right out (especially if I'm trail-riding off road) and that could potentially cause a plethora of other problems that I don't need.

This is in part, due to the back-spacing of my current rims which is 4.5 inches; if I had another inch of back spacing (5.5 inches or so) I could have probably gotten away with it.

So there are only 2 options;

Put my P265/70/17 Toyo AT-II's back on and go home with my tail between my legs (Not really a viable option at this point) or upgrade to the 4 inch Superlift.

So, as much as I was trying not to do it, I'll be sporting my LT285/70/17 Good Year Duratracs with the 4 inch Superlift by Friday evening.

You know there will be loads of pics coming probably Friday evening or Saturday.

I can't tell you how much it's costing me due to selective amnesia....LOL.

·
Administrator
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 · (Edited)
Update #2 on Good Year Durtracs & the 4 inch superlift.

I talked to Southern Performance this afternoon; the only thing left to do is the alignment, and my Mechanic said the job has went very smooth to this point, however, the Electronic Geometry Recalibration (EGR) Module for Electronic Stability Control Program only shipped yesterday, why they did not ship it out with the rest of the kit I have no idea - as supposedly, they had it in stock at the time of the order.

Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow (Saturday) or Monday at the shop, at which point they can install it.

I really don't want to pick up Big Blue without that module installed because I will have to drive around with the Electronic Stability Control Program disabled without it;

Not the end of the world, but, I'd rather not. So, hopefully Monday evening - worst case scenario Tuesday, I'll be picking her up.

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty irritated right now, but, there's not much I can do except sit & wait.

241 - 260 of 291 Posts