Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many people are running larger tires, especially those with the 4 inch lift. Are you running a new R&P as well, say 4.11 or 4.56? If not why?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well one reason why is finding gears that will work! I believe Get Lost was looking into this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My concern is that someone will get in the pumpkin and muck up the ELSDs but I believe it is necessary if one intents to tow/haul and drive off-road with larger tires. Even though the V8 engines have good power the wheel size will take it out of the powerband.

So, does anyone know what axle is in the rear? Is it a Corporate or a Dana?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a little more info and since the thread above talks about interesting Commander facts; I'd like to keep this one to Ring and Pinions. I found this info on lefthand news.

The 3.7-liter Power Tech overhead cam V6 comes with an open rear 213mm (8-3/8 inch) diameter ring and pinion differential (equipped with a 3.07:1 rear axle ratio). Still no spline count.

The 4.7-liter Power Tech overhead cam V8 is the same 213mm rear axle as the 3.7-liter engine, but with a standard rear axle ratio of 3.73:1. Spline count?

The 5.7-liter changes to the tried and true heavy duty Dana model 44 with a ring and pinion of 226mm (8.5 inches). Plenty of support out there for the D44 but I am not sure if it is 27 or 30 spline count.

We are still lacking info on the front dif as well. I will be going to the stealership today and will ask a service tech. Hopefully he will know!

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Lefthand news is wrong, udoxx. The 5.7 Commander does not use the Dana 44. It has the corporate axle.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
the D44 is in the 2wd only. I think that is for all engines but I am not sure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe the CRD also uses a Dana 44, my axles do just fine with 33's thought.
I have an XJ with the Dana hp30 and Dana 35 with 32's and 3.55 gears and has no problems at all, your diff can handle what you throw at it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the verdict is out, no one knows for sure what we have out back? Why would Jeep throw a corporate out back on the largest vehicle they have? Isn't the D44 stronger.

Anyhow, I kinda got tied up running errands and did not make it to the dealer. I would really like some solid info on the spline count and size axles front and rear.

There is no doubt that the diff can handle the weight, I am concerned about the powerband and towing off road.

I have a Wrangler with 3.73 and when I went to 33s the 4.0's power was robbed both uphill and off-road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts