Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a Billet Technology catch can from Custom Billet Store and got it installed yesterday.

Can't say enough about the folks at CBS - worked with me to find a mounting solution/location for the catch can. The combination of the air box location and the weird configuration of the A/C line on the right rear of the engine bay made it necessary for them to review a bunch of pics I sent them and to figure out how to mount the can. Ends up their Z bracket turned around backwards worked great. They cut the hoses to exactly the correct length and once I figured the best routing for them the install took 15 minutes.

The Hemi's PCV system is very poor and a lot of oil gets sucked into the intake and cylinders, which causes detonation/pinging and drops the effective octane rating of the fuel. The computer compensates by retarding the timing but that drops power and mileage. The catch can catches the oil before it can get into the combustion chamber and fixes those issues. Pics...

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
Let us know if you see any improvement

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Are you tracking your XK?

I have never seen nor heard of a need for this under normal, even severe towing street driving conditions. Having said that, it seems like a well built unit certainly a bling factor. Hemi valves run dry and the bit of mist without a catch can is actually beneficial per the engineers. I would of just replaced the PCV valve proactively if concerned.

For the record I installed a catch can on my Viper, and just retired from Chrysler and have lots of experience in this area.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nice, I'm a little confused on how it didn't "Just fit" as-is, but I had considered getting one for my rig. It'll be in the future though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wanted to add my $.02. My personal experience with a BT catch can was not a positive one, so I chose to run without it.

Bought one a while ago and, upon unscrewing it, found small metal flakes on the bottom of the lower section. Proceeded to blow compressed air (from a can) through the top of the can and more metal flakes were forced out. At that point I unscrewed the screen and removed the steel mesh finding more loose metal strands inside. A google search showed that I wasn’t the only one with this issue. It should however be noted here that none of the people who complained about the “metal” content of the can, reported any damage to their motors, at least from what I could see.

At first I replaced the media with small gauge stainless steel wire rolled up in a ball and installed it using a self-made bracket and some pcv hose. The length of the hose needed however(I mounted it in the back of the engine bay behind the coolant reservoir) and my desire to keep the cover made me nervous about the “mayo” freezing and blocking the dirty hose during the winter (the hose had a low point right outside the engine cover), so I decided to ditch the whole idea. I was also told by a reputable Chrysler mechanic that the need for the catch can was mostly for the SRT 6.1 motors and not so much on the 5.7s.

So, just a word of advice, if you are going to put one in – make sure the wool material inside is fully intact.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let us know if you see any improvement
I've had to empty the catch can twice in about 3000 miles - and I've gained 1.1 mpg so far. This time of year I do a lot of customer visits to the tune of about 1000 miles a week mixing rural country roads and highway so I've gotten a good sample.

Nice, I'm a little confused on how it didn't "Just fit" as-is, but I had considered getting one for my rig. It'll be in the future though.
Because the XK's intake tube goes to the passenger side instead of the driver's side, the typical mounting location at the front of the engine inboard of the alternator won't work. It has to be mounted either inboard of the power steering pump (tough to avoid the serpentine belt) or other location. Mine ended up between the coolant reservoir and the firewall mounted to a tab of the support strut. BT built a Z bracket that's backwards from their normal design that enabled it to fit where it ended up.

Wanted to add my $.02. My personal experience with a BT catch can was not a positive one, so I chose to run without it.

Bought one a while ago and, upon unscrewing it, found small metal flakes on the bottom of the lower section. Proceeded to blow compressed air (from a can) through the top of the can and more metal flakes were forced out. At that point I unscrewed the screen and removed the steel mesh finding more loose metal strands inside. A google search showed that I wasn’t the only one with this issue. It should however be noted here that none of the people who complained about the “metal” content of the can, reported any damage to their motors, at least from what I could see.

At first I replaced the media with small gauge stainless steel wire rolled up in a ball and installed it using a self-made bracket and some pcv hose. The length of the hose needed however(I mounted it in the back of the engine bay behind the coolant reservoir) and my desire to keep the cover made me nervous about the “mayo” freezing and blocking the dirty hose during the winter (the hose had a low point right outside the engine cover), so I decided to ditch the whole idea. I was also told by a reputable Chrysler mechanic that the need for the catch can was mostly for the SRT 6.1 motors and not so much on the 5.7s.

So, just a word of advice, if you are going to put one in – make sure the wool material inside is fully intact.

Sorry to hear about your experience. The one they shipped me was in perfect condition and has not had any shavings or other debris show up so far. The mayo won't freeze - it's oil mixed with some condensation - and with the air pressure moving through the PCV system the mayo will stay in the catch can.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Ordered a Billet Technology catch can from Custom Billet Store and got it installed yesterday.

Pics...

Bob
Bob,

I sent you a PM - indirectly pertaining to all of your broken Photobucket links.

Please let me know what your intentions are - a PM is fine.

If you are not going to upgrade your Photobucket account, I'll probably wind up having to remove all of the broken image links that are no longer working;

You can always re-post the images if you decide to walk away from Photobucket and look for another image hosting site that still offers 3rd party image hosting for free, I know there are some out there that do.

This is an issue that has already been brought up by the site administrators, so, I'll start addressing this with all the affected members as I continue to come across these broken Photobucket links.

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob,

I sent you a PM - indirectly pertaining to all of your broken Photobucket links.

Please let me know what your intentions are - a PM is fine.

If you are not going to upgrade your Photobucket account, I'll probably wind up having to remove all of the broken image links that are no longer working;

You can always re-post the images if you decide to walk away from Photobucket and look for another image hosting site that still offers 3rd party image hosting for free, I know there are some out there that do.

This is an issue that has already been brought up by the site administrators, so, I'll start addressing this with all the affected members as I continue to come across these broken Photobucket links.

Thanks.
Thanks Blue. I tried to edit my post to switch the links to a different hosting site but I'm not able to edit my own posts...? A policy I'm not aware of? I definitely want to fix those broken links.

Bob

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hey 2Bobs which catch can did you get from Billet Tech. the $95 can listed for the Hemi or the can listed for the Hemi Cherokee at $145?

Mark

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey 2Bobs which catch can did you get from Billet Tech. the $95 can listed for the Hemi or the can listed for the Hemi Cherokee at $145?

Mark

Mine came to $125 or so - its for the '06 to '10 GC with the Z bracket, braided hoses and satin hose ends. The base price of $95 is the one I started with then added the other stuff to it.

Bob

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Thanks for the reply 2Bob so how long did they cut your hose's? Looks like your able to post pics. again.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Thanks Blue. I tried to edit my post to switch the links to a different hosting site but I'm not able to edit my own posts...? A policy I'm not aware of? I definitely want to fix those broken links.

Bob
Check your PM's Bob.

Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just ordered billet

Just ordered billet technology catch can for my 2010 5.7 XK
Can I get a picture of where you installed the bracket

1 - 13 of 13 Posts