Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Limited 4.7 Quadra-Trac II
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a freshman in college majoring in mechanical engineering. I have a 2006 XK with a 2 inch lift. I bought bilstein 5100s for the car and quickly realized the lowest setting was +.75 inches. I have not installed the front shocks in because I am too scared of what may happen to the front end components. But this leads me to my idea. I want to build a shorter lift spacer to compensate for the bilsteins added height. So instead of being at 2.75 inches, I would be sitting at 2 or maybe 2.25 inches WITH the bilsteins installed paired with the spacer. Does this seem like a good idea? I have access to plenty of 3D modeling softwares and HAAS machines. Does anyone think this could be a solution for those who want to run bilsteins AND a lift spacer? I want to exhaust all ideas before I settle on the fact that I wasted the money on those shocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can engineer anything you want. You will run into some upper strut mount stud clearance issues or upper strut mount thread length issues, but they can be overcome. You can solve this by knocking the studs out and getting longer ones since you will have them apart anyways. Hell, machine you a solid aluminum spacer with longer upper strut mount studs and your done. If you are over 21.5” hub center to fender grab a diff drop kit to correct CV axles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't the spring perches adjust higher on the 5100s? Why do you need front spacers at all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't the spring perches adjust higher on the 5100s? Why do you need front spacers at all?
The highest setting is 2 inches on the shocks, but I talked to a guy who just had the bilsteins set at 2 inches and no spacer. He said the shocks don’t raise the front a full 2 inches like the spacer does

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can engineer anything you want. You will run into some upper strut mount stud clearance issues or upper strut mount thread length issues, but they can be overcome. You can solve this by knocking the studs out and getting longer ones since you will have them apart anyways. Hell, machine you a solid aluminum spacer with longer upper strut mount studs and your done. If you are over 21.5” hub center to fender grab a diff drop kit to correct CV axles.
I’m actually at 22 inches on the dot from hub center to fender. I looked into a diff drop kit at one time on Jeeperf but you have to modify the crossmember to fit the new front driveshaft angle. At least for that kit you do. Do you recommend any certain kits?

·
Registered
9 Posts
J+J Fabrication makes one also. You will have to notch the crossmember on any diff drop kit.

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 135k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
278 Posts
I added a 3/8" thick spacer on top of bilsteins at highest setting. Any thicker and the studs wont be long enough.
Cant find the hub measurement, but you can see it has ZEro rake. The front has sagged a little more since lifting, so i will plan new springs, next time the shocks have to come out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the 5100s on the 2nd notch, leveled it, but new springs would make it perfect, Currently running 245/70R17's but moving up to 255/70R17's on Rubicon Wheels. I'm at 22.5 inches from the wheel center to the fender flare.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I added a 3/8" thick spacer on top of bilsteins at highest setting. Any thicker and the studs wont be long enough.
Cant find the hub measurement, but you can see it has ZEro rake. The front has sagged a little more since lifting, so i will plan new springs, next time the shocks have to come out.
What do you think would be the easiest? I need to match or exceed the rear 2 inch lift just by a little bit. With the tires I have now I can’t lower the front even a little bit so I have to match the height that the 2 inch spacer gives me now

·
Registered
151 Posts
What about one of the leveling spacers that are already available? Those are like $30 or whatever and good to go.

If you're determined to make you're own, I'd start with plate that's already the desired thickness. That way all you have to do it trim the outside to size and drill the holes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about one of the leveling spacers that are already available? Those are like $30 or whatever and good to go.

If you're determined to make you're own, I'd start with plate that's already the desired thickness. That way all you have to do it trim the outside to size and drill the holes.
I’m not exactly determined. I was just thinking of using my resources. The plate seems like a way easier and cheaper way to go. Do you think this would sit me even with the 2 inch lift?

·
Registered
151 Posts
That I could not tell you. I would recommend you discuss with the plate guy. If you need help with the cnc program that would be more in my wheelhouse. ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I ran the plate and the bilsteins on the highest setting, do you think that would be matching the 2 inch lift?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m not exactly determined. I was just thinking of using my resources. The plate seems like a way easier and cheaper way to go. Do you think this would sit me even with the 2 inch lift?
I happened to have a set of Rusty's 3/8" spacers for sale if you're interested, new in box, never installed.

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 135k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
278 Posts
If I ran the plate and the bilsteins on the highest setting, do you think that would be matching the 2 inch lift?
Yes, thats what i did. Grab the spacers from @misteramx then set bilsteins all the way up.
If your dead set on building your own, they arent tough to do. I just traced one of the strut mounts, and used a band saw + holesaw/drill press. Shouldve milled it, the drill press took forever.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Rim
Bicycle part Rim Helmet Font Auto part

1 - 16 of 16 Posts