Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front strut is set at the minimum lift setting.
In both pictures the tires are aligned with the horizontal, so the rake (or lack of) is what you see.

Before

After

In the few Km I've driven so far I can feel the ride quality has changed from floaty to settled. There's quite less rolling when cornering and way less dive under braking. Some bumps are slightly harsher, but long highway bumps feel less scary now. Before it was sometimes a bit uncontrollable.
Sadly, our laws don't allow rims/tires that are more than 3% bigger than the original ones, so I'll try to fill up the space the best I can within that margin.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Are you running anything extra in the rear or just ome hd? I ask because my front is the same, but I have Monroe load levelers in the back giving some extra lift.... However, yours looks about the same, maybe mine has sagged.

Looks great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you running anything extra in the rear or just ome hd? I ask because my front is the same, but I have Monroe load levelers in the back giving some extra lift.... However, yours looks about the same, maybe mine has sagged.

Looks great!
Just the shocks/struts and the springs. Nothing extra. Maybe they'll settle down a bit, we'll see :)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The front strut is set at the minimum lift setting.
In both pictures the tires are aligned with the horizontal, so the rake (or lack of) is what you see.

Before

After

In the few Km I've driven so far I can feel the ride quality has changed from floaty to settled. There's quite less rolling when cornering and way less dive under braking. Some bumps are slightly harsher, but long highway bumps feel less scary now. Before it was sometimes a bit uncontrollable.
Sadly, our laws don't allow rims/tires that are more than 3% bigger than the original ones, so I'll try to fill up the space the best I can within that margin.
3%!! thats rough. What does that equate to? Im curious how that is calculated? Is it both width and height? Do they measure with a tape or simply go off of manufacturer claims? There are certainly tires that are actually a little larger then others with the same exact claimed size.

Looks good btw. What is your measurement from the axle centerline to the fenderlip?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the OME springs with Bilstein 5100's as well. I used the OME heavy duty springs and on my lift the vehicle sat about an inch or more higher in the front than the back. I ended up using a 3/4 inch spacer under the rear springs to even things up. I run 255/75/17 tires. The ride is very good.

Dan

·
Banned
159 Posts
did you go to this setup straight from stock? I have the OME struts and they seem super floaty. Was hoping maybe you could compare, but probably not...

·
Registered
206 Posts
looks great, thanks for the pics. Question tho...why would one choose Bilsteins shocks/struts vs. OME shocks/struts?
The OME shocks are a Twin-tube design and the Bilstein shocks are a Mono-tube design. Typically the mono-tube shocks are better for off road/ rough road applications. The Mono-tube will operate more efficiently without letting the fluid get aerated on continuous stroking as you would have on a rough road for longer distances. The Twin-tube design is less expensive to manufacture and the design allows the nitrogen gas or air charge to mix with the internal fluid and will become aerated under continuous stroking allowing the damping action to fade. Mono-tube shocks are generally considered to be an upgrade to Twin-tube shocks.

Although on a Commander, since I doubt anyone is racing one in the desert, either shock design would be fine.

Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3%!! thats rough. What does that equate to? Im curious how that is calculated? Is it both width and height? Do they measure with a tape or simply go off of manufacturer claims? There are certainly tires that are actually a little larger then others with the same exact claimed size.
3% is for the total height, but there's also a limit for the width.
The equivalents for the original tires are: 255/60 R 17 (C), 255/65 R 17 (C), 265/60 R 17 (C), 275/55 R 17 (C), 275/60 R 17 (C). Not many options... :(
Looks good btw. What is your measurement from the axle centerline to the fenderlip?
I haven't measured it, but I'll let you know when I do.

looks great, thanks for the pics. Question tho...why would one choose Bilsteins shocks/struts vs. OME shocks/struts?
Bilsteins are very common in Europe, easier to find and they keep their price quite tamed. OME are imports for me.

did you go to this setup straight from stock? I have the OME struts and they seem super floaty. Was hoping maybe you could compare, but probably not...
Yes, I went from stock to this lift. If you still have the original springs that's probably what makes the most difference.

I have the OME springs with Bilstein 5100's as well. I used the OME heavy duty springs and on my lift the vehicle sat about an inch or more higher in the front than the back. I ended up using a 3/4 inch spacer under the rear springs to even things up. I run 255/75/17 tires. The ride is very good.
That's interesting. I have a pic I took this last weekend with the Jeep fully loaded and 3 adults inside, and the rear was quite lower than the front, even with the HD back there, but empty it sits level.
I don't have the third row in there anymore, so that's some weight difference over the rear axle...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Here's a calculator in English that tells the difference in %
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-65r17-255-65r17

As you can see, the 255s would be 30" vs the 29.5" of the original tires. That plus some difference provided by the knobby tires will have to do! :D
Hah thanks! I use the tacoma world tire calculator all the time to help other members. It very conveniently allows you to provide those calculations on forums...

The diameter difference from the 245 to 255 tire is actu
ally only 1.5%...

285/60r17 is closer to ~3%

or if wheels can be changed out....

285/55r18
is 2.7%

Of course a 285 tire would require less backspacing or a wheel spacer to push the tire away from the body a bit since otherwise youd be rubbing on the UCA bolt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. My mechanic was going to change some 18"s from a Cayenne to place 22". If the bolt pattern matches, I could get the set for cheap... Food for thought :) Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Interesting. My mechanic was going to change some 18"s from a Cayenne to place 22". If the bolt pattern matches, I could get the set for cheap... Food for thought :) Thanks!
They won't fit; the Porsche bolt pattern is 5x130, or 3mm larger than ours. The wheels may fit on your lug studs, but they'll never seat properly and over time you'll end up just damaging the wheels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They won't fit; the Porsche bolt pattern is 5x130, or 3mm larger than ours. The wheels may fit on your lug studs, but they'll never seat properly and over time you'll end up just damaging the wheels.
That simplifies it, thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I went for the 255/65R17 Toyo Open Country A/T plus and the same wheels. They are getting installed right now, and then the shop will take the XK to another shop with a laser alignment system, since they didn't make a good job after the lift.

Hopefully this sets me up for a while and the ride gets better. The positive camber the lift provoked on the front wheels has some very weird driving feel.

Pics to come :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a couple of gas tanks of testing, I can tell you the tires and alignment have made the XK way more enjoyable to drive.

If I had to change something I'd probably go for MD springs for the front instead of HD ones. I don't have any extra weight at the front, so the HDs are a touch too hard and have a quite aggressive rebound on speedbumps.

Also, empty it sits nicely level, but with four adults and our heavy bags of gear in the trunk it squats quite noticeably even with HDs at the back. I'm tempted to try some urethane spring coil spacers to help the rear coils support the extra weight when needed.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I went for the 255/65R17 Toyo Open Country A/T plus and the same wheels. They are getting installed right now, and then the shop will take the XK to another shop with a laser alignment system, since they didn't make a good job after the lift.

Hopefully this sets me up for a while and the ride gets better. The positive camber the lift provoked on the front wheels has some very weird driving feel.

Pics to come :)

TOYO makes pretty good tires, I've had my P265/70R17's TOYO Open Country All Terrain II's for 1 1/2 - 2 years now, they are holding up very well thus far.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts