Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to installing new Bilstein 5100 series height adjustable shocks for my 2009 Jeep Commander HEMI. Purchased from Kolak at a great price!

Although these Bilsteins say the Commander is not a vehicle this product fits, Kolak and the instructions said otherwise. Just note that these will raise the vehicle slightly more on the lowest and middle setting compared to the Grand Cherokee, and the highest setting is not recommended per the instructions (see picture).

Overall, I am very happy with these. I used the lowest setting in the front and it eliminated the front nose-dive look.

I had a problem getting the lower clevis bolt on one side out but just took the entire strut assembly out from the top just like others have done. No need to kill yourself hammering that away.

It would have been easier with a helper to do the one side where the clevis bolt was stuck, but I did the entire job my myself with basic tools and rented spring compressors (two sets just to be safe), ball joint tool, 36mm axle socket from Advance Auto Parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Although these Bilsteins say the Commander is not a vehicle this product fits, Kolak and the instructions said otherwise.
That is odd since the Commander is mentioned in the manufactures instructions.
The shocks look great!

I'm curious about the clevis bolt the large bolt that goes through the fork-mount at the bottom of the strut?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Got around to installing new Bilstein 5100 series height adjustable shocks for my 2009 Jeep Commander HEMI. Purchased from Kolak at a great price!

Although these Bilsteins say the Commander is not a vehicle this product fits, Kolak and the instructions said otherwise. Just note that these will raise the vehicle slightly more on the lowest and middle setting compared to the Grand Cherokee, and the highest setting is not recommended per the instructions (see picture).

Overall, I am very happy with these. I used the lowest setting in the front and it eliminated the front nose-dive look.

I had a problem getting the lower clevis bolt on one side out but just took the entire strut assembly out from the top just like others have done. No need to kill yourself hammering that away.

It would have been easier with a helper to do the one side where the clevis bolt was stuck, but I did the entire job my myself with basic tools and rented spring compressors (two sets just to be safe), ball joint tool, 36mm axle socket from Advance Auto Parts.
Very interesting. That documentation did not come with my 5100's from Kolak. I am running them set @ the highest setting and have been doing so for some time now.In fact I am also running Rustys strut spacers for additional front end height beyond the max setting on the bilsteins.

This is with the v6 sport so the lightest duty factory springs.

Not sure why the documentation indicates more lift on the commander. Unless some of the front springs are higher spring rates than the Grand Cherokee (the rears can be slightly higher IIRC) because every other suspension component is identical, and drive-train options are the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts