Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking for a commander for a long time I finally purchased one a 2009 black on creme limited with all the options hemi quadra track which I was told was quadra drive but its too late now the first project was going to be a quadra drive conversion. 8 days after the purchase I drove down a muddy road and got 3 gallons of mud in the intake. I need to know what a reasonable amount of labor hours I should pay to have a remanufactured engine put in Ive been quoted 8-16 Hrs looking for something concrete I dont want to go to the shop saying 8 then later be charged 14.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd budget 16 hours and hope they get it swapped out quicker than that. The wildcards in engine swaps are the things you find that are worn out and you should go ahead and replace while you've got everything torn apart - like engine mounts, exhaust manifold bolts, O2 sensors, etc. Most of the time those things aren't just sitting around the garage or shop and need to be picked up at the parts store or ordered and that chews up a day or two. Also be sure you have the proper coolant and the right quantity, distilled water, 7 quarts of oil, some assembly lube, etc.

If you can get the original engine out and inspect items like those above and get them ordered the new engine can go right in with little wasted time.

Too bad your XK didn't come with the QDII - kinda surprised it got the QTII given that it's a Hemi Limited...

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know this but starting with the new hemi in 2009 they made quadra drive an option unless you got the overland I got a quote of 4700 to instal a rebuilt engine for parts and labor seems like a good price to me I just want my lazy boy with a hemi back I only had it 8 days but I miss it so much. Thank you for the reply

·
Super Moderator
5,769 Posts
So I have been looking for a commander for a long time I finally purchased one a 2009 black on creme limited with all the options hemi quadra track which I was told was quadra drive but its too late now the first project was going to be a quadra drive conversion. 8 days after the purchase I drove down a muddy road and got 3 gallons of mud in the intake. I need to know what a reasonable amount of labor hours I should pay to have a remanufactured engine put in Ive been quoted 8-16 Hrs looking for something concrete I dont want to go to the shop saying 8 then later be charged 14.
Welcome to the forum Turtle;

Sorry about your unfortunate luck.

I think the price you were quoted is definitely reasonable - the only thing I would verify is what kind of warranty you are getting with the rebuilt engine.

I'll echo what Bob said and say plan on the over of 16 hrs labor and hope it gets completed sooner than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The company is accurite and they said that it'll come with a 100,000 mile warranty and I'm going to make sure I get it on paper

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Fine Print

I got a 3 yr. 100,000 mile warranty on an inline 4.0 used it once water leak between the block and trans, they took it out and fixed it. The fine print i was talking about was that in order to keep the warranty in effect the owner had to pay 69.00 dollars a year for the duration of the warranty. Not much in the overall scheme but if you did not pay it your warranty was void.

Swanny

·
Registered
49 Posts
Turtle, sorry about what happened. Are u considering a snorkel or did your filter or part of ur intake fall off while driving through mud? Got me nervious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to do a snorkel but haven't found any besides the one manufactured in Australia and I would like to find some input on someone who actully has one. Good news I paid to have motor torn down because insurance didn't want to cover it and now they are catastrophic engine damage due to flooding my baby is getting a heart transplant ?

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I want to do a snorkel but haven't found any besides the one manufactured in Australia and I would like to find some input on someone who actully has one. Good news I paid to have motor torn down because insurance didn't want to cover it and now they are catastrophic engine damage due to flooding my baby is getting a heart transplant ?
That snorkel is the only one made for the Commander.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Turtle, just saw a rig with a NICE snorkel in the Gallery here, think title was "2008 jeep Commander" like 5 or more pages in. Just found out I may need a new trans so I feel ur pain! Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,769 Posts
As long as the rest of your XK is in good working order, I think you will find this is a worthwhile investment.

Jeep Commander snorkels:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jeep+Commander+(XK)+Snorkels&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHx4bPs8TWAhVQ02MKHe8eAaUQsxgIJw&biw=1920&bih=956

This is the one out of Australia;

http://airflowamerica.com/?page_id=101

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jerry sorry to hear bout your trans as these vehicles age I'll probly end up rebuilding all of it I find it sad they stopped making the commander in 2010

·
Registered
49 Posts
Turtle, if they had put 31s and just a 3" taller stance it would of been the most popular JEEP Ever! I don't know what the hell they were thinking because for 3 weeks I was the talk of my kid's school;) My ride was KING but now it is dead after 3 weeks too bud, I have to make sure I take care of what I got because I have such a small budget. I hope my learning curve for preemptive maintenance is great because when something catastrophic happens I have to save up a long time(work comp/SSDI). I had the coolest job in the world making good money (MMA School owner w 12 outside schools using my Licence) but got severely injured at work in 2008. Brain injury and broken neck.... 6 operations and on 7th in a month or month and 1/2 to fuse another level in my neck and an artificial cervical disc above that one.... Just a little background, hoping it makes u feel better in ur situation, but no worries I'll be back on my feet and ride soon enough;)

·
Super Moderator
5,769 Posts
Turtle, if they had put 31s and just a 3" taller stance it would of been the most popular JEEP Ever! I don't know what the hell they were thinking because for 3 weeks I was the talk of my kid's school;) My ride was KING but now it is dead after 3 weeks too bud, I have to make sure I take care of what I got because I have such a small budget. I hope my learning curve for preemptive maintenance is great because when something catastrophic happens I have to save up a long time(work comp/SSDI). I had the coolest job in the world making good money (MMA School owner w 12 outside schools using my Licence) but got severely injured at work in 2008. Brain injury and broken neck.... 6 operations and on 7th in a month or month and 1/2 to fuse another level in my neck and an artificial cervical disc above that one.... Just a little background, hoping it makes u feel better in ur situation, but no worries I'll be back on my feet and ride soon enough;)
Hang in there Jerry, we're all pulling for you.

I'm happy to do whatever I can to try and guide you through your XK issues.

I for one, am glad to have you here as a contributing member of the forum.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Big Blue, Means the world to me. I truly enjoy your post and see and enjoy your passion to help others and hope to be just a bit helpful to others along the way. thx n God Bless

1 - 17 of 17 Posts