Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of an engine swap in my boat. It has a Mercruiser I/O. The old engine (basically a GM 153) has been pushing out oil for years from blow-by, as well as spewing river water into the bilge from a crack in the block. (That's what bilge pumps are for, right? :D) I've always kept ''bilge bags'' down there. (oil absorbing pillows) It would need a new bilge bag about twice a year, and they're good for 2 quarts of oil absorption.

So... now the new engine's in place and bolted down. The mechanic is rebuilding the out-drive now, and the only thing left on the engine is hooking up hoses etc. Hopefully, by the middle of this week, it'll be back in its marina slip. A few days ago, when the old engine was out, I took the boat to the car wash on its trailer.

I bought a can of Black Magic from my usual auto parts place. They had just received a shipment, and didn't even have it priced yet. Phil told me to try out out, (They had no idea how it worked, good or bad) and settle up later. (I did last Saturday, and it's only about $5 a can)

http://www.blackmagicshine.com/2-in-1-engine-shine.php

One word: WOW. When the spray hits the oil, it immediately starts to break up. We're talking about YEARS of build up, on parts of the Mercruiser shifter and trim unit where there's no getting to it otherwise with the engine crammed in there. Some of the dirt/grease was over 1/4'' thick. On the bilge floor, little brown islands started to form where the oil was breaking up.

I sprayed it all over everything, using about 1/2 the can. I drilled out a rusty drain plug in the transom while it soaked, then headed for the wash. (I have a new drain plug to install) At the car wash, the oil mess had turned into what looked like milk. By then, it had been working about a half hour or so. The ''milk'' just washed away and ran out the transom drain hole. There wasn't even really an oil sheen on the milky waste water in the car wash. That was fine with me, as there was a NO GREASE WASHING sign on the wall of the car wash. :eek:rangehat:

The bilge area is squeaky clean now. A lot of stuff, like Gunk doesn't work that good, and always leaves a residue. Black Magic leaves surfaces like Dawn dish soap does a dish - there's nothing but a clean surface. I didn't bother carving off thick buildup with a screwdriver 1st, like you always have to with Gunk or other crap-cleaners.

I'm not sure about whether Black Magic contains oil eating enzymes or what, the website or can label doesn't really say, but it must have them the way it ''eats'' oil. If you have a greasy engine area(or whatever) to clean, don't waste your time with anything else.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've had good results with Citrus Engine Bright, but I can't stand the smell. How does this stuff smell? I don't even think it smells bad when you're using it, it's when you're driving around afterwards and it comes in through the A/C.

I'll either use what you've recommended, or Simple Green.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember much of a smell. Granted, I was outside, but there just wasn't the usual engine cleaner stink.

On thing's for sure, it's NOTHING like Gunk. I used that crap on the big Cat in the motorcoach. It stunk for two weeks afterwards. The Gunk smell came up through the bed/engine cover to the point of burning eyeballs. (The bed frame in the stateroom doubles as the engine cover for the 9L Caterpillar) I also had to use high pressure (power washer) to clean the caked on crap off the Cat. Wish I'd had Black Magic for that job.

By the way, speaking of high pressure, I didn't use it much on the boat. It was splatting too bad anyway. I just mostly used the car washer wand without the trigger pulled.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remembered the can's still in the Jeep. (Along with lots of other boat stuff)

I sprayed a little on my finger. There's a very slight soapy/lemon smell, but it's pretty faint. I have to hold my sprayed fingers up to my nose. The smell has got to be about 1/50th the odor of most other engine cleaners I've ever used before.

It feels like a thick oily stuff. That must disappear after it works on the oil, because it's not left behind after rinsing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Simple Green works great. I dilute 2:1, guess you could go half and half if your really dirty. Spray it on pretty heavy (engine cold to warm, not hot), let it soak for 10-15 min. and light spray off. If real dirty, second treatment may be needed. Crank and let run to dry if desired. One good thing about it, it is enviro safe and smells fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts