Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it is common on all cars, but I was looking at the tailpipe of my commander today and there is a really distinct thick black ring around the tailpipe. I only have 1800 miles, so I thought that it was a little premature to have this kind of buildup.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Talking with a friend of mine who works for GM, I know it not DC, but he informed me that vehicles run rich for so many miles because they are programmed to do so. Then after you hit that milage point whatever it's set at. It leans out. Computer chips and such. Not sure if this is the same deal, could be. There are some dealer dudes on the board, maybe they know, or can verify my story. Ours has a little soot in the tail pipe also.

Mango

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't these vehicles have computers that learn driving habits? Maybe it takes a few thousand miles on it for it to learn and adjust the fuel delivery? Just a guess?

Better mileage after 4000 miles, I am ready for that day.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the 4.7L, 3K miles, and have the same black ring (last 1/4" or so on the tailpipe). That would be nice if it leans out automatically at 4K miles...be a bit easier on the wallet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts