Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've decided to black out my roof. i wanted to do this to my previous vehicle but never got around to it. basically i'll have the roof covered in 3M automotive vinyl like a vehicle wrap. it'll be in matte black to match all the black plastic trim and the roof rails. i'm doing this because i love the look of it, and to also help hide the raised portion of the roof above the rear seats, which always looked odd to me. but since i'm having the roof done, i've been playing around with maybe having the raised portion of the hood and/or the center chin of the front bumper wrapped to match. below i've photoshopped what i'm talking about. i'm getting the roof done either way, but what do you think about the hood an bumper?

(also, i wont be lowering the commander, i'll be raising it 2" and adding 265/70/17 goodyear wrangler MTs. but i will have black wheels with silver lips similar to the one i used for these pics. i also have a silver painted grille, not a chrome one.)

here's the top from the rear:

and from the front with only the top done:

here's with the hood:

and with the front bumper:

and here's one with both the hood and bumper:

what do you guys think looks best with my jeep? this is purely aesthetic and serves no real world purpose other than to enhance my own enjoyment :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like the 3rd pic the best--but match the back bumper to it as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like the third option best, looks really mean and slick. If you can, I would extend the black all the way to the grill in the front and reapply the Jeep emblem over the black. Also, what size wheels are those?

·
Registered
149 Posts
That looks sharp. My preference is the hood alone, although it still looks good with the bumper and hood both done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was reading the description you gave and hadn't seen the pictures yet and I was thinking to myself, "yuck." After seeing the pictures, my opinion has changed. I like it with just the roof blacked, roof and hood not bad. Roof, hood and bumper is a little too much IMO..

It also got me thinking of what a two-tone black and white Commander would look like. Follow the body lines, black on top white on the lower half. Basically where it angles down right above the door handles. Black on up from there, white on the bottom half.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Blackout the whole top-half; full hood, roof, and window sills.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Thanks for posting your picture. This is exactly what I was thinking. The black Mopar grill guard stands out against the silver. The way it fills in the center of the bumper, I was thinking about getting a black grill, and the possibly doing the raised part of the hood in flat black. Once I get the black grill, I was thinking about chrome inserts, but I can't make up my mind. You definitely need to add a black grill. The look would be awesome. :eek:rangehat:

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks cool as all get out, but I bet you're in North Country!

I've actually thought of doing my roof with some sort of reflective material so's to help keep it a mite cooler in warmer climes!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks cool as all get out, but I bet you're in North Country!

I've actually thought of doing my roof with some sort of reflective material so's to help keep it a mite cooler in warmer climes!
actually im in the Imperial Valley in socal. the 2nd hottest place in the US, only death valley gets hotter. we're 50ft below sea level with avg july temps of 115 F ;) it's not that bad though, you get used to it. i've had both white and black vehicles here and haven't seen a difference at all as far as color making the vehicle hotter. but at 115, its just damn hot who cares about colors lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the third option best, looks really mean and slick. If you can, I would extend the black all the way to the grill in the front and reapply the Jeep emblem over the black. Also, what size wheels are those?
im not too sure about the wheels, i used a pic i found online, thats not my jeep. i still have the stock wheels. but i'd guess they're 18s or 19s. they're bigger than my 17s but they have too much rubber to be 20s.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting your picture. This is exactly what I was thinking. The black Mopar grill guard stands out against the silver. The way it fills in the center of the bumper, I was thinking about getting a black grill, and the possibly doing the raised part of the hood in flat black. Once I get the black grill, I was thinking about chrome inserts, but I can't make up my mind. You definitely need to add a black grill. The look would be awesome. :eek:rangehat:

[/IMG]
that bumper is what gave me the idea. i've since decided to go with a 4xguard setup though. i thought about a black grille too, but i really love the trademarked jeep grille. i like that you can see it from 5 blocks away and know its a true jeep, not one of the 50 million other mid-sized grocery-fetching SUVs out here. i'm proud of those 7 little rectangles lol

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
that bumper is what gave me the idea. i've since decided to go with a 4xguard setup though. i thought about a black grille too, but i really love the trademarked jeep grille. i like that you can see it from 5 blocks away and know its a true jeep, not one of the 50 million other mid-sized grocery-fetching SUVs out here. i'm proud of those 7 little rectangles lol
That is why I was thinking of a black grill with chrome/metal inserts. The black grill would compliment the grill guard and the contrasting inserts would say to the world - 7 slot grill: I am a Jeep! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I like the second pic best ( roof/hood ). The third is ok, but kinda looks like you have a racing stripe on your Jeep......eww. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Nice Photoshop skills! How'd you do it? I'd agree with the third pic, black roof and hood.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice Photoshop skills! How'd you do it? I'd agree with the third pic, black roof and hood.
thanks. this is what i've been doing for a living for the past decade.

everyone seems to like the roof-hood combo with no bumper. this is great, i was leaning towards either the hood OR the bumper myself. definately dont want the racing stripes look. the hood is a better choice i think since there's less chance of the vinyl getting rock chips and showing the silver paint underneath. plus i'm looking at getting the 4xguard setup which is black and silver too, might be too much on the bumper with the vinyl wrap under that. you guys have been a big help. thanks :)

if anyone has any other suggestions i'm all ears

·
Registered
542 Posts
The roof and hood only would look perfect with the Matrix, I think trays your best choice.

On a side note......I've been looking for someone with p'shop skills to p'shop my Jeep. If you have the time, please pm me if you are willing to help a fellow XKer out. Of you can't, Ño hard feelings...thanks for reading.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The roof looks awesome blacked out but if you never see it I don't really see the point.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I dont really see the point in doing the roof either but.. whatever. Just dont do the bumper and debadge hood with fishing line (its easy) so black comes all the way to the front and rebadge chrome letters on matte black!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts