Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as my husband LOVES the commander (and I do too), I have one issue. There is a terrible blind spot on the passenger side for me. Any small cars are just not visible. I find the headrest on the second row seating to be one culprit, but with two kids in booster/car seats it is easier to use the second row and not the third. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
"Then God said, “Let there be Jeep,” and there was Jeep. God saw how good Jeep was. God then separated the Jeep from the car. God called the Jeep, “Rock-Crawler” and the car he called, “Obstacle.” Thus Off-Roading began and the morning followed—the first day. -- CJ 1:3

The solution for any blind spots is to run over the small cars that may wander into them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
... as a cost saving alternative to the above post, have you considered a small wide angled mirror that can be stuck with a self-adhesive tape to the right outside mirror?

·
Registered
114 Posts
We had a heavy snowfall the other night, with big wet snowflakes coming down, and the back-up sensors even 'saw' and signaled the snowflakes!

That made me stop and get out to see if there was something behind me as I backed out of the garage. Otherwise I've really come to rely on the back up sensors and like them a lot.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
136 Posts
What Blind Spot - there is no such thing!!!

The blind spot problem comes from the fact that 99% of the people (you included) do not know how to properly adjust the car mirrors. And you cannot possibly know that as they teach it wrong in school. Are you interested to find out?
Let me know by replying and will be happy to oblige. This method is used by all my family and most of my coworkers who I shared it with and no one has any blind spots regardless of the car they drive.
Let me know if you're interested to know that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Blind Spot Fallacy

I'll try to be short but if you want all the information, I have a pdf file illustrating how to properly adjust mirrors with extensive explanation which I can email upon request. Of course in the Commander, the third row seat completely obstructs the rear view thus no method of mirror adjustment is applicable when the third seat is up. But here it is.
1. Sitting in driver's seat lean your head to the LEFT to the window and adjust your left mirror such that you see an edge of your car. When you straighen up you won't see edge of your car and that's OK.
2. Sitting in driver's seat lean your head to the RIGHT towards the center console and adjust your right mirror such that you see an edge of your car. When you straighen up you won't see edge of your car and that's OK.
3. Now you use your window mirror for far cars and side mirror for close-by cars.
4. Park your car in a safe spot on a street where you can see cars passing you first on left then on right. Cars will crawl from back mirror into side mirror WITHOUT ANY BLIND SPOT! Takes awhile getting used to but soon you feel that you have a total panoramic view.
5. Other advantages: a) Idiots with long beams on cannot blind you thru the side mirror. b) You don't have to turn your head when changing lanes (make sure you're comfortable and get used to it first) - just check space next to you cars with a fast glance to the side and use mirrors then - if there is no car next to you and no car in the mirrors, there is no one around and you can change lane. By NOT turning your head your driving is safer as your eyes are on the road more.
6. What you won't see is your own car and why do you ever want to see it? If you forgot what color it is or if it is clean or dirty, stop and circle it a few times.
7. Bottom line: the way people adjust mirror to see their own car and then end up with a blind spot is ridiculous but that's the way they teach in school.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll try to be short but if you want all the information, I have a pdf file illustrating how to properly adjust mirrors with extensive explanation which I can email upon request. Of course in the Commander, the third row seat completely obstructs the rear view thus no method of mirror adjustment is applicable when the third seat is up. But here it is.
1. Sitting in driver's seat lean your head to the LEFT to the window and adjust your left mirror such that you see an edge of your car. When you straighen up you won't see edge of your car and that's OK.
2. Sitting in driver's seat lean your head to the RIGHT towards the center console and adjust your right mirror such that you see an edge of your car. When you straighen up you won't see edge of your car and that's OK.
3. Now you use your window mirror for far cars and side mirror for close-by cars.
4. Park your car in a safe spot on a street where you can see cars passing you first on left then on right. Cars will crawl from back mirror into side mirror WITHOUT ANY BLIND SPOT! Takes awhile getting used to but soon you feel that you have a total panoramic view.
5. Other advantages: a) Idiots with long beams on cannot blind you thru the side mirror. b) You don't have to turn your head when changing lanes (make sure you're comfortable and get used to it first) - just check space next to you cars with a fast glance to the side and use mirrors then - if there is no car next to you and no car in the mirrors, there is no one around and you can change lane. By NOT turning your head your driving is safer as your eyes are on the road more.
6. What you won't see is your own car and why do you ever want to see it? If you forgot what color it is or if it is clean or dirty, stop and circle it a few times.
7. Bottom line: the way people adjust mirror to see their own car and then end up with a blind spot is ridiculous but that's the way they teach in school.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK, we are crusin today & I'll try it. Be back later.

Later:
Well, I tried Mikey's blind spot adjustment technique, and it works well. I adjusted the mirrors as described and drove around a local lake all day. It does create a panaramic view without the blind spots. Check it out, no kiddin!! Good job Mickey!! Thanks for the tip. It didn't take me long to adjust to it either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanks for the mirror tip.... now if i can just stop using my arm out the window to signal turns

·
Registered
275 Posts
In the Commander, there are blind spots on each side when I look in my mirrors, so I look over my shoulders to be sure it's clear. Adjusting the side mirrors the conventional way (not tilting the head to the left & right during adjustment), I still cannot see the area in the blind spots, I have to scoot up or twist looking ove my shoulder to get a good view changing lanes. Adjusting the mirrors tilting my head to the left & then to the right during adjustment opens up those blind spots within the mirrors so I don't have to look over my shoulders to be sure it's clear, even though it's a habit of mine to look. Just my opinion. :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I drove 2000 miles over x-mas and new year's with the Commander loaded to the top, ie couldn't see a thing in the rear view and had to rely solely on the side mirrors. I guess I must have learned the "secret" myself somewehre along the way since I had no issues with blind spots and come to think of it never had any blind spot issues with any car/suv I have ever driven.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts