Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my blower motor suddenly stopped working. I know it was working fine before I installed my new stereo. I went to put the heat on tonight and no go. Im not sure if I used the blower since I changed the stereo. I guess its possible that I knocked off a connector on the heater controls. Ive heard about some relay under the glove box that people have hit to get the blower working again. Does the 2007 have that there too? I also hear a hissing sound inside the dash that eventually subsides after about 5 seconds after I shut down the motor. Possibly related? Its just the regular heating system if that helps. I can here the doors and actuators working when I switch heating modes. Just no blower.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
So, my blower motor suddenly stopped working. I know it was working fine before I installed my new stereo. I went to put the heat on tonight and no go. Im not sure if I used the blower since I changed the stereo. I guess its possible that I knocked off a connector on the heater controls. Ive heard about some relay under the glove box that people have hit to get the blower working again. Does the 2007 have that there too? I also hear a hissing sound inside the dash that eventually subsides after about 5 seconds after I shut down the motor. Possibly related? Its just the regular heating system if that helps. I can here the doors and actuators working when I switch heating modes. Just no blower.
This might help; See the attached PDF file below;

This might also be useful;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/10-electronics-nav-discussion/55657-junction-block-explained.html

There is a relay for the front blower motor that runs through the junction block.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for those diagrams. I actually got curious and ran outside to see if hitting the box under the glove box would help. Well sure enough, I gave it a little hit with a screwdriver handle and the motor started right up. All 3 speeds are working now. Any idea what the fix is when the hit method is needed? Im sure it wont last too long. What do I need to replace to make it stay working? A new relay?

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Thanks for those diagrams. I actually got curious and ran outside to see if hitting the box under the glove box would help. Well sure enough, I gave it a little hit with a screwdriver handle and the motor started right up. All 3 speeds are working now. Any idea what the fix is when the hit method is needed? Im sure it wont last too long. What do I need to replace to make it stay working? A new relay?
If all it took was a tap with a screwdriver to get it to work - it could just be a lose wire or a lose connector - maybe even a wire or connector with some corrosion on it, that's not making good contact. I'd wait until tomorrow when you have daylight and give it a closer look when you can see better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If all it took was a tap with a screwdriver to get it to work - it could just be a lose wire or a lose connector - maybe even a wire or connector with some corrosion on it, that's not making good contact. I'd wait until tomorrow when you have daylight and give it a closer look when you can see better.

This sound like a good plan.:smile2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
The fix you are asking about,is going to be replacement of the blower motor.
You are going to find out. That hitting on the blower motor,is only going to work so many times.
It only has three screws holding it in. Very simple to swap out with a new one. I already know. I just put a new one in, last week.
It takes less than 5 minutes to replace it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Registered
225 Posts
The power connection to the motor can also be a culprit, as they arc at the connectors in the shell. I had a similar problem, but it was partial motor speed. Shook, tapped, cussed, applied dielectric grease, and the problem kept recurring.
I got a new connector, and relay combo pack, and posted about it on 8-19-2016 "blower motor connector and resistor source and cheepo fix for now"
Here is the linkback of the post:
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/57194-blower-motor-connector-resistor-source-cheepo-fix-now.html

I needed just the connector, but the price for both was a better deal

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The power connection to the motor can also be a culprit, as they arc at the connectors in the shell. I had a similar problem, but it was partial motor speed. Shook, tapped, cussed, applied dielectric grease, and the problem kept recurring.
I got a new connector, and relay combo pack, and posted about it on 8-19-2016 "blower motor connector and resistor source and cheepo fix for now"
Here is the linkback of the post:
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/57194-blower-motor-connector-resistor-source-cheepo-fix-now.html

I needed just the connector, but the price for both was a better deal

After researching this a whole lot last night, I ended up buying the relay and connector kit like you did. I will take out the glove box today and see what the plug looks like. I wonder though if the reason that the plug melts is because the fan motor is drawing too much current and is bad. Hopefully this cheap fix will do the job. I dont put many miles on my vehicles so it might work out for me. If not, the motor is cheap enough too, as spraygun has said.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I went out and removed the glove box and checked the wiring plugs at the resistor and blower motor. They both looked like new. I turned on the fan and got nothing, so I started wiggling wires. Turns out that the 2 wires going to the blower motor turn the fan on and off if I push or pull them from the motor. So, its a bad connection in the fan motor itself. The fan motor does not come apart, does it? Its a sealed plastic thing? I will spray some contact cleaner in the wiring area and work it in and out of the motor to see if that helps. Probably some melted plastic inside the motor housing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, I went out and removed the glove box and checked the wiring plugs at the resistor and blower motor. They both looked like new. I turned on the fan and got nothing, so I started wiggling wires. Turns out that the 2 wires going to the blower motor turn the fan on and off if I push or pull them from the motor. So, its a bad connection in the fan motor itself. The fan motor does not come apart, does it? Its a sealed plastic thing? I will spray some contact cleaner in the wiring area and work it in and out of the motor to see if that helps. Probably some melted plastic inside the motor housing.
You can take the motor out and take it apart somewhat. I had to pull mine apart about 5 or 6 years ago because the brushes were not making contact properly with the commutator. I had to lubricate the brushes on the sides so they would slide easier.
I don't think you're having the same problem. But I don't know.
Just do yourself a favor, buy the whole blower with the motor.
I found one where the squirrel cage portion of the blower is cut open around the shaft. So it allows the motor to be cooled. That was a bonus.
1 unit 3 screws, your done.
Just don't cheap out on the blower motor. Or you could be doing it again a couple years.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
I would save yourself the aggravation, take @Spraygun's recommendation and just replace the blower motor.

Then you know you won't have to worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for all the responses. I sprayed the contact cleaner in there and have the wires shoved in there pretty good. Seems to be working fine atm. In the mean time I'll keep my eye open for a cheap replacement. Should be able to switch it out pretty easily if the need arises.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Part number?

Thanks to all for all the responses. I sprayed the contact cleaner in there and have the wires shoved in there pretty good. Seems to be working fine atm. In the mean time I'll keep my eye open for a cheap replacement. Should be able to switch it out pretty easily if the need arises.
If you got a part number off the motor, search for it in amazon. This can bring up hits for all the vehicles this particular motor fits. The prices can vary greatly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts