Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since purchasing my Commander this past February, I've gone through THREE blower motor resistors. The one that came with the car failed over the summer. I replaced it, and the AC/Heat started working normally again. Then, about a month ago, the new one blew out. So I replaced it again. This time the resistor lasted all of two and a half weeks before conking out.

The latest one failed recently enough that I can take it back to Autozone and get it replaced, but what are the odds of the THIRD resistor being defective, versus something else that's wrong?
The motor itself seems to be working fine. Will it eat resistors like this if it's starting to go bad?

Just looking for any suggestions before I condemn another resistor to death.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't mean to go off topic, but did your blower start making a clicking sound when you started up the car, like something was stuck in it? Are you sure it's not the blower? From what I've read, there are blower motor issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out, yeah, it was the blower motor.
While it had been running kind of loud, it had been that way since I bought the car, and I didn't think anything of it, but my cousin told me that if the motor is going bad, it will still SEEM to work normally, but will draw too much power and either eat the resistor, or just fry the connector.
So we took it apart, and sure enough, the plug on the end of the pigtail was downright crispy.
Then we took an ohmmeter to the resistor, and found out it was just fine. So I ordered a new pigtail and a new motor and got them in last week, and now it's working perfectly! (and quietly.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.