Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blower motor quit running on the lower speeds. I discovered the wire connector had black residue on one terminal. Cleaned it up, and re-seated it, and all the speeds are back. I think this has happened to others on this forum? Maybe a little dielectric grease would insulate the connectors and stop future arcing?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
638 Posts
You do not want to insulate the connector, you want it be a better connection. Dielectric grease does not insulate it allows a good connection while letting it be removed easily. Do not use dielectric grease. Clean the connection as best you can and tighten the connector - possibly squeeze it carefully with pliers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,037 Posts
I've never had a problem using dielectric grease on connectors. Dielectric grease does insulate. The idea is, the grease is forced away and displaced at the actual metal to metal contact to make electrical connection and doesn't interfere with conducting at that point. The remaining grease fills any voids and prevents dirt/water/debri from getting into the connector, that might short out the connector. Bulb grease does the same thing. Both, make for a more reliable connection, because it does NOT interfere with the actual connection, but it displaced any conductive contaminates around the connection with an insulative layer that fills any voids in the connection where conductive matter could penetrate and short the connection.

The best way to check if a connector is making good connection is to use a multi-meter and check resistance by probing either side of the connection. I've gotten 0 ohms and/or the Continuity buzz from the multi-meter checking circuits in with connectors totally filled to overflowing with dielectric grease, as well, checking adjacent circuits in the connector, gave infinite resistance between them, i.e. no shorting what so ever in the connector. I've also found shorting in connectors that had oil in them, and checked good once the oil was cleaned out of the connector. So having something in the connector that would fight contaminants from invading the connector would only make it more reliable.

The blower motor is a very high power/current device in your car. It shouldn't have any signs of overheating or arcing, but its pretty common. If it was me, I would have probably done the same thing, and keep an eye on that blower motor. It starts acting weird, any evidence of smoke/heat/burning smell, I'd shut it down and replace it. The resister block, that the connector plugs into, is suppose to have overheat/current draw protection, a device in that block is suppose to blow if the motor draws too much current or gets way to hot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
blower motor starting to draw to much amps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
My blower motor quit running on the lower speeds. I discovered the wire connector had black residue on one terminal. Cleaned it up, and re-seated it, and all the speeds are back. I think this has happened to others on this forum? Maybe a little dielectric grease would insulate the connectors and stop future arcing?
I think what johnc was saying......... that the dielectric grease would seal (insulate) the connector from outside elements
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top