Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone plz tell me what kind of headlights that are blue looking that I see comings down the highway at night? And what is the price and where can I get them. I have a 08 Commander Limited 4.8. Thanks Steve.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob, well I really want something brighter then what I have now. Any better suggestions? Thanks again Steve.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ya the hid lamp...is full of guide how to install it and they are cheaper and cooler than the blue bulbs;)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Try Silvania Silverstars.....they are significantly brighter...I believe they use a different gas in the bulb.

Downside is their lifespan is about 30% shorter than conventional bulbs.
You can get those at just about any good parts store.

Next step up is a true H.I.D. system with the transformers for each lamp.
Tricky install and can be problematic.....not cheap either.

Rob

·
Registered
301 Posts
You'll need an HID kit you can get them online or any custom shop can take care of that. You can't buy them at an auto part place like advance or auto zone. I've worked at a custom shop and we installed them all the time in about 30 minutes an it usually costs 75-150 depending on the quality of the kit. The bulbs go out and you have to replace the whole kit. Often the ballasts go out as well and the kit needs replacing as well. HIDs come in several colors as well like blue white yellow and purple. I don't recommend HIDs because they're expensive to replace and visibility isn't great although they're bright the blue isn't easy to see.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
532 Posts
You'll need an HID kit you can get them online or any custom shop can take care of that. You can't buy them at an auto part place like advance or auto zone. I've worked at a custom shop and we installed them all the time in about 30 minutes an it usually costs 75-150 depending on the quality of the kit. The bulbs go out and you have to replace the whole kit. Often the ballasts go out as well and the kit needs replacing as well. HIDs come in several colors as well like blue white yellow and purple. I don't recommend HIDs because they're expensive to replace and visibility isn't great although they're bright the blue isn't easy to see.

I install hid kit 6000 k even for the fog lights and in my opinion the visibility is better and better in comparison to the normal lamps. I even try the blue bulbs but they are darker in comparison to the hid..

·
Registered
301 Posts
I install hid kit 6000 k even for the fog lights and in my opinion the visibility is better and better in comparison to the normal lamps. I even try the blue bulbs but they are darker in comparison to the hid..

6000k is fine. When you go higher or lower is when visibility is reduced. He was asking about blue bulbs which are 10000k-12000k.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds like you are looking for something that will just give you the "blue" look.

If that's the case, go to any local auto parts store and get the blue'st bulb you can find. It will typically be found in the same aisle as the spinning hubcaps, fartcan exhaust and roll out chrome trim. If you would like something that gives you more light and is a direct plug-in to the stock housing, look into the Sylvania silver star ultra bulbs. I put them in my Commander this past weekend and they provide a brighter light at night. I put them in my wife's car as well and there is a noticeable difference.

If you are looking for true HID bulbs, then you will need to convert your housings as others in this thread have said.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ Hobbes. I think I will go with the Silver. It sounds much better on what u say. Steve.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Try Silvania Silverstars.....they are significantly brighter...I believe they use a different gas in the bulb.

Downside is their lifespan is about 30% shorter than conventional bulbs.

Rob
Rob, I installed SS in my Wrangler and the difference was amazing over stock.

The bulbs burned out (as you note) in less than a year. I sent an email to Sylvania (they have a website with contact info) noting that the bulbs hadn't made it a year and I received a coupon in return for a free set - I just had to send them the old bulbs as proof of purchase. They even paid for return postage of the old bulbs.

Can't beat it for customer service. Haven't placed a set in the Commander yet, but the Commander's stock bulbs are nowhere near as bad as the Wrangler bulbs were.

I've not tried HID bulbs, but can recommend the SilverStars.

J

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Rob, I installed SS in my Wrangler and the difference was amazing over stock.

The bulbs burned out (as you note) in less than a year. I sent an email to Sylvania (they have a website with contact info) noting that the bulbs hadn't made it a year and I received a coupon in return for a free set - I just had to send them the old bulbs as proof of purchase. They even paid for return postage of the old bulbs.

Can't beat it for customer service. Haven't placed a set in the Commander yet, but the Commander's stock bulbs are nowhere near as bad as the Wrangler bulbs were.

I've not tried HID bulbs, but can recommend the SilverStars.

J
Very nice,

I was unaware they were doing anything special for the shorter lifespan.....nice customer service.

Yeah, the difference is IMO rather amazing, especially since the wattage is the same....I've been using them in most of my cars since 1995.....I have found the Commander to be a fairly good system right out of the box but some members are operating out in the boonies.
I suspect those are the folks looking for all the lighting possible and for good reason i.e. roaming wildlife.

Rob

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've got the Sylvania zXe bulbs in mine. They produce a slightly better HID look than the SilverStars. If you want actual blue light, you're going to get crap bulbs with horrible light output. Sylvania is the way to go with regular bulbs, otherwise you'll need actual HIDs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can someone plz tell me what kind of headlights that are blue looking that I see comings down the highway at night? And what is the price and where can I get them. I have a 08 Commander Limited 4.8. Thanks Steve.
Blue headlights + Commander = Gay

In the event you have a 4x2 Commander then it might be ok.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very nice,

I was unaware they were doing anything special for the shorter lifespan.....nice customer service.

...but some members are operating out in the boonies. I suspect those are the folks looking for all the lighting possible and for good reason i.e. roaming wildlife.

Rob
Rob, yep, understood. The Commander, for my city/highway driving isn't bad, but the stock headlights on both of the Wranglers I've owned were abysmal.

I don't know if it's "official" Sylvania policy, but my email was polite and more of a notification that the bulbs had gone out in less than a year rather than a rant, and I got a polite response in return. Sometimes a polite comment can garner a polite response...and coupons <ggg>. In their response they did note that the SS lights generated more light, but the downside was a shorter headlight lifespan.

I've never tried a car with 'blue' headlamps, but from the responses here they are not all that and the proverbial bag o' chips. Good to know.

J

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 6,000k HID's in mine, they are perfect the light output is 5 times better than stock. The install on the HID's on our cars is quite extensive there for those cheap $100 kits don't really work out too well.

Here is mine:

The shop I work for can do the install and everything for you if your near long island NY.

·
Registered
389 Posts
How much would a good HID kit run then? How bad is the install? Does your light blind people at all because you're not using HID projectors?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts