Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 700 miles on my Commander and have noticed a "bogging down" feeling under light acceleration and slow speed driving. It seems most prominent on hills, where I am forced to apply enough gas until it kicks down into a lower gear to provide ample acceleration. I even noticed a slight sputter/hesitation last week when accelerating uphill out of a rolling right turn.

Overall. I truly love this vehicle. It is so feature-packed, conpmfortable, stylish and solid fit and finish, I feel like I'm in a vehicle worth at least 10-15k more. At this point, I can only call this and my whistle noise minor annoyances, and I hope they can be resolved. I'm confident the whistle noise can and hope that a TSB surfaces for the bogging down issue. I am coming from an Acura MDX which, as a Japanese namplate, was essentially trouble-free from purchase, there is some adjustment.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the MDS HEMI - Really wish they would have left the MDS out of the picture. The engine supposedly drops from 8 to 4 cyl with speeds of between 30 and 60 MPH. Problem is the 60 MPH... most of the driving I do is between 55 and 65...

I often feel the engine kicking from 8 down to 4 back up to 8.. or so it seems...

Does anyone else have this problem??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem. JC rode fine and I didn't have this bogging down or "sluggish" feeling until 12,000 service. Took it in twice. Dealer says car is fine and doesn't find any problem. Mine's a 2006, and a hemi. Is yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys! This is my first post. I have been on here for a while just reading and thinking mostly, about upgrades etc, but this problem has driven me nuts. It feels like a hesitation under light acceleration or mid throttle. I thought it was a plug miss-firing or something. I have an '06 Hemi.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The bogging down is a sluggish feeling that most of us have. I have the 4.7 liter and coming from a Motero with a smaller engine, I am very disappointed with the jeep. It has no power on acceleration or climbing hills. I hope it can be fixed with a computer flash.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It may be due to how the engine/tranny have been tuned in the PCM/ECU. I personally don't have this problem in my '06 hemi (4x QDII) as I like it to be a little softer in the city else I get even worse gas mileage (I average 8-9mpg in-town). There is also a hesitation shifting down when "punching" it on the freeway.

I would think this all relates to how it's tuned for the "average" driver. You should be able to adjust it specifically to your desires with a power programmer. You could probably just take it to a performance shop and get them to set it how you like it. Remember that it's tuned for 'nominal', not necessarily snappiest performance or for how you like it. The Hemi, especially, has a whole trove of unrealized capabilities at stock tuning. These engines are made to be tweaked =)

!c

ed. note: I _love_ the MDS. I get beautiful mileage on long road trips (360/tank or so at 80 mph, over 400 @ 60mph) and wouldn't trade it for the world. To each their own, I guess =)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too feelthe sluggishness under light acceleration. My 06 Hemi has only 700 miles on it. I've been hoping this will go away as I break it in. It is so much different than my 05 Grand w/Hemi. That one has much greater throttle response. It feels spunky.
I know the Grand is lighter but geez!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've noticed this on my 3.7 going up a loooooong hill in our neighborhood where the speed limit is 25ish. I start driving up and the tach is up around 2 then it drops to around 1. Odd thing is I don't lose any power or speed. The engine just idles down. Doesn't happen going up similar hills where the speed limit is higher.

I also got it quite abruptly when I turned a corner onto a spot where they had just busted up the asphalt to run water or electricity across. I hit this at a relatively fast speed for a right turn, the Jeep did the bounce/sway thing and the engine just gave up on me. Didn't go dead, but the RPMs plummeted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It shuts down into 4 cly. mostly in a cruise mode. Once you have maintained a certain speed for a while the 4 cly. mode kicks into play. You can feel it drop down. To prevent it. Manual shift. But you will eat more fuel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts