Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the Borla kit that came out recently?

Just curious about the performance and sound factor.

So far it looks like Magnaflow, Gibson , and Borla have kits available. I heard Dynomax had something.. but not yet released.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't heard the kit for the Hemi Commander yet however Borla typically builts a very solid product with a more understated muscular sound, read-quiter than some prefer, for a louder system try magnflow either way I'm sure you'll be happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Borla cat-back system on my 99 Grand Cherokee 4.7L, and was very pleased with it overall. I was going to purchase a Borla for my 5.7L Commander. When I talked with Borla last month, although they showed the Commander Hemi system on their website, they were still 60 days away from actual availability. Same scenario for the Gibson. The Magnaflow was available in mid-June. I was going on a 2000 mile trip and wanted the system for the trip, so I bought the Magnaflow. I am just as pleased with the Magnaflow as I was with the Borla on my old Jeep. Both are easy to install, sound good without being overpowering on the highway, give more "seat-of-the-pants" performance, are made of stainless steel so should last, and increase the gas mileage substantially. I would recommend either manufacturer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I found a great deal on Ebay ...I got the catback, single tip system for our 06 w/Hemi. I'm having it installed next week. Will report back.:D

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Try and get a sound bite if you have the means to do so!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the kit installed. Its a nice kit. The slightly oversized chrome, rolled tip looks great.
It sounds awesome with a nice growl upon starting the engine. It idles with a slight deep undertone. Once you get it on the gas, it sounds very tough without being overbaringly loud. There is very little drone on the highway.

I'm very pleased and so is my wife.
I have not noticed any seat of the pants performance gains as the Hemi is already a beast. And I'm not too excited about a few extra ponies. I got what I wanted out of it.
I also have not noticed any MPG gains..but I didnt buy the Hemi for good MPGs....and I didnt getthis lit to increase MPGs.

My next move it to put a cold air intake..I'll probably get a little perfomance gain with that but again, I dont expect anything to WOW about.

I'll try to get some pics and a sound clip up soon, just been busy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the kit installed. Its a nice kit. The slightly oversized chrome, rolled tip looks great.
It sounds awesome with a nice growl upon starting the engine. It idles with a slight deep undertone. Once you get it on the gas, it sounds very tough without being overbaringly loud. There is very little drone on the highway.

I'm very pleased and so is my wife.
I have not noticed any seat of the pants performance gains as the Hemi is already a beast. And I'm not too excited about a few extra ponies. I got what I wanted out of it.
I also have not noticed any MPG gains..but I didnt buy the Hemi for good MPGs....and I didnt getthis lit to increase MPGs.

My next move it to put a cold air intake..I'll probably get a little perfomance gain with that but again, I dont expect anything to WOW about.

I'll try to get some pics and a sound clip up soon, just been busy.
With a Mopar cold air intake, I get a drone when rpm is at 2000 and speed is 70mph. This is only annoying on the driver seat. No problems on the passenger seat. Unless you are exactly in the same condition of speed and rpm, you will not hear or feel the drone.

·
2,248 Posts
Lazarus,

First of all, Welcome to the forum. When I saw your "Republic of Texas" in the upper corner, I knew that I had to respond with a very short story. This is off topic but it is worth it.

Their is an association in Texas called the "Society for the Preservation of Texas".

This august group of Texans has been working and raising money for a project in Texas.

They are soliciting money to build a wall all around the border of Texas.

So far the contributions are coming in:

two to one from OUT OF STATE......LOL

sorry I was off topic and it is all in good fun. Also Jon, don't be laughing out loud in court.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Lazarus,

First of all, Welcome to the forum. When I saw your "Republic of Texas" in the upper corner, I knew that I had to respond with a very short story. This is off topic but it is worth it.

Their is an association in Texas called the "Society for the Preservation of Texas".

This august group of Texans has been working and raising money for a project in Texas.

They are soliciting money to build a wall all around the border of Texas.

So far the contributions are coming in:

two to one from OUT OF STATE......LOL

sorry I was off topic and it is all in good fun. Also Jon, don't be laughing out loud in court.
Lazarus hasn't posted anything since 15 Jul 06.

·
2,248 Posts
Well I got to tell my favorite Texas joke anyway.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
why did you suggest the Magnaflow over the Borla?
Because I have it and am very happy with it. Can't hear it inside at all when cruising and very little inside when you punch it. But outside when you get on it it sounds great.

·
Registered
167 Posts
cool..........did you order the stainless version or the aluminized version? How is the finish of yours holding up?

The Magnaflows on the LX's is very popular and commonly used. I've put on several kits for customers and it too was straight forward and fit as advertised.

THe Borla is a bit pricey but also with quality workmanship. However the sounds are completely different.

(remember, this is from my experience with the same manufacturers, smae motor, but with the CHrysler / DOdge cars)

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
cool..........did you order the stainless version or the aluminized version? How is the finish of yours holding up?

The Magnaflows on the LX's is very popular and commonly used. I've put on several kits for customers and it too was straight forward and fit as advertised.

THe Borla is a bit pricey but also with quality workmanship. However the sounds are completely different.

(remember, this is from my experience with the same manufacturers, smae motor, but with the CHrysler / DOdge cars)
I got the stainless steel cat-back and the finish is holding up just fine. Actually, the Magnaflow cost a little more than the Borla:
Borla
Magnaflow

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts