Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the new Bosch Icon wiper blades a few weeks ago at AutoZone (for my 4Runner). They are pricey at about $20 each, but I think they are well worth the money.

We drove up to Buffalo to visit family, and got almost 2 feet of snow dumped on us... The Icons were excellent because they do not have hinges to clog up with snow and ice like regular wipers. Every swipe had full pressure on the windshield across the entire blade. No more streaky spots from the regular blades with ice in the wiper bracket! They also hold the windshield well on the highway, probably because they have a built-in "spoiler" along the entire edge of the blade.

I would definitely recommend these blades for anyone who drives in the snowbelt.... I'll never go back to regular blades again!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I bought a set of Icons this week at Autozone ... 17.99 each. Even though I don't expect to drive in severe ice/snow conditions I think these are worth the money on appearance alone, since the Commander's wipers are so visible. If you are into the details - they really match the look of the vehicle nicely.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Setsail - nope, at the brick & mortar store. That's the price they have on their website, but the AutoZone down the street had them at that price, too. Lowest I saw on the web was $15.99, but after shipping they came up $20 +.

donutz - I'll post some photos tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
686 Posts
donutz said:
post some pics so we can see what they look like

Exterior Views:

Interior View:

Crap...

As you can see, the Icons don't sit flush for their entire length. Last night I was out and it rained lightly. I was hoping that this gap was only in the detente position, but I was disappointed to find that the top and bottom ends of the wiper blade did not conform to the window while wiping and didn't wipe cleanly except in the middle 95%.

I'm thinking of giving them the benefit of the doubt, since the temperature has not been above 40 since I put them on. Maybe if they get warmed up they'll be less rigid? Dunno. There is no way to force them, since it's an all-rubber piece with an internal spring to bend into an arc. Perhaps I'll end up returning them.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Count me in for the group that was going to get a set. Keep us posted. They look very good... Have you tried anbything to increase the cntact area????????????

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nitro Express said:
Count me in for the group that was going to get a set. Keep us posted. They look very good... Have you tried anbything to increase the cntact area????????????
I'm thinking of three things:

1. Try both 17" and 19" (the 19's might actually be worse, and the 17's might not overlap in the middle enough)

2. Put them in a carpenter's vice with light pressure for a few days and see if that will bend the ends down better

3. See what happens when the temperatures get warmer - it's not been over 40 degrees since I put them on.

Comments on the above are welcome. And I'll report back on what I've decided to do and whether it appears to work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a set of the Icons back in December at Advance Auto for $17.99 ea. I loved them on the GTO, and the stock Jeep blades didn't work very well from the beginning - and we had some pretty crap weather in Colorado Dec-Jan.
They've worked fine for me, no gaps in coverage....and our temps have been below zero and steady single digit daily highs for enough time, that if temps were a cause, it would have affected mine.
I thought there was a different length for each side, but that's not what I'm seeing Googling Icon blades for the Commander.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought they would be sweet for clearing bug carnage when I first saw them. If I take a two hour trip to Memphis on a summer's eve, it looks like a scene from Ammityville Horror. Can't a guy get what he pays for anymore?

·
Registered
686 Posts
beebejeep said:
I thought they would be sweet for clearing bug carnage when I first saw them. If I take a two hour trip to Memphis on a summer's eve, it looks like a scene from Ammityville Horror. Can't a guy get what he pays for anymore?
LOL. I'm a native Mississippian and recent transplant to the 'progressive' state of Georgia. I remember cruising the Natchez Trace to and from MSU on those summer nights. Bugs as thick as rain.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I put the RainX blades on and am very happy with them so far. Of course we haven't had any freezing rain since I got them so I cannot comment on their performance under that condition, but I agree the stock blades were inadequate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the RainX Latitude wiper blades, buy one get one free promotion at Pep boys and I thought they were really affordable and dependable. Driver side blades are perfectly fine, no streaks of water and has a very even amount of pressure on the windshield to wipe down snow or rain but passenger side isn't good at all. Towards the edge of the blade, bottom corner of the windshield, it wiper blade doesn't touch the windshield at all and when the wipers are on, there's a small area towards the middle of the windshield where it will not even wipe the windshield at all. It's annoying! Everything is nicely wiped down other than those patches. I doubt it's the wipers because i've tried bending the wiper arm to get more pressure onto the windshield. Maybe I should try to replace just that one wiper blade or does anyone know or has a windshield that has the same problem? Maybe there's a very slight "DIP".

Any solutions?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I took a look at the Bosch blades this afternoon and the driver's side blade has 'settled in' so that in the detente position it contacts the windscreen for its entire length. The passenger side still has a slight gap from the windscreen on the outside (top) end.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I bought a set right after I got the truck and had the same gap issue the first time I used them. Tonight in the rain I didn't notice any gapping, so they must take a couple of days to mold to the windshield's curve.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have had my icon's for over a month now, the still have not pressed fully against the window. The middle is fine, but I loose about an inch at the tops and bottoms of the blades were they will not fully seat to the window. Other than that, they work great. Do I have to manually encourage these blades to seat against the window?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts