Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the factory champions with Bosch Platinums yesterday. Would have preferred NGK Platinums, but all they had were the $10 plugs, so I went with the $2.50 Bosch.

3 reasons why I am GLAD I did this.
1. Champion plugs are against my religion :D
2. The factory does NOT use any kind of anti-seize, and the plugs came out so dry that I had to go very slow for fear of heating up the aluminum threads in the block and damaging them.
3. The stock plugs were suprisingly worn at 9500 miles, and diddnt look too great. In fact they had a greenish residue on them...... Gaps were big, but at least consistent at .46

As per my ritual, each new sparkplug received the silver antiseize on the threads, was torqued to 2lbs, and dielectric grease on the cap. I also put a dab of the grease on the coil connectors.

Suprisingly, when I started the Commander up, it threw a check engine light..... I'm thinking great..... Engine was smooth, no missing, but something was up. So I disconnected the battery and reset the computer by holding the key on start for 30 seconds. **THIS IS THE RIGHT/FAST WAY TO DO THIS, NO reason to have to wait 30 minutes as some say. Restarted and no CEL. Drove about 60 miles last night, no real difference in feel, other than a bit smoother feel to the motor (psycho somatic) Fuel mileage seems to be 1-2 better highway, and 3 city, but will weigh in after a full week.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I replaced the factory champions with Bosch Platinums yesterday. Would have preferred NGK Platinums, but all they had were the $10 plugs, so I went with the $2.50 Bosch.

2. The factory does NOT use any kind of anti-seize, and the plugs came out so dry that I had to go very slow for fear of heating up the aluminum threads in the block and damaging them.
3. The stock plugs were suprisingly worn at 9500 miles, and diddnt look too great. In fact they had a greenish residue on them...... Gaps were big, but at least consistent at .46

As per my ritual, each new sparkplug received the silver antiseize on the threads, was torqued to 2lbs, and dielectric grease on the cap. I also put a dab of the grease on the coil connectors.

Suprisingly, when I started the Commander up, it threw a check engine light..... I'm thinking great..... Engine was smooth, no missing, but something was up. So I disconnected the battery and reset the computer by holding the key on start for 30 seconds. **THIS IS THE RIGHT/FAST WAY TO DO THIS, NO reason to have to wait 30 minutes as some say. Restarted and no CEL. Drove about 60 miles last night, no real difference in feel, other than a bit smoother feel to the motor (psycho somatic) Fuel mileage seems to be 1-2 better highway, and 3 city, but will weigh in after a full week.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Re: Bosch Platinum Plugs

I have used Champion P/N 4412 truck plugs in my three 4.0L jeeps for years and been very satisfied with them. I change them every 12k miles though not really necessary.
I dont yet know what is the best plug for the HEMI 5.7 but it takes 16 of them so I hope not something real expensive. John

·
Registered
65 Posts

Bulldog9 said:

Very interesting. I just turned 6000 miles on my Commander. I'm looking forward to a follow-up post from you on how it's going.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

webjones said:
Are you using the Bosch single-prongs? Or the two or four prongs?
I used the single prong (looks similar to a standard plug) I dont like the open electrode design. I think Bosch sells them in 2, 3 & 4 electrode designs.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Bulldog9 said:

Champion is horrible, but they are the best plug for two engines, Mopars and Briggs&Stratton. They dont run well in anything else, but are perfect for those two. DCX does seem to be moving to NGKs in a lot of the newer engines though.

2lbs was a typo, right?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

ktek01 said:
Champion is horrible, but they are the best plug for two engines, Mopars and Briggs&Stratton. They dont run well in anything else, but are perfect for those two. DCX does seem to be moving to NGKs in a lot of the newer engines though. 2lbs was a typo, right?
No, the Bosch plugs have a gasket, and 2ftlbs is what they called for. It amounted to about 3/4 full turn after seated, about right.

My issue with Champions has been reliability and durability. My motorcycle's are what introduced me to NGK's

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Bosch Platinum Plugs UPDATE

Well, after 3000 miles on the Bosch Platinums in the last month (dont ask....) I have decided to pull these plugs out of my Commander. My lileage has gone in the toilet on the Highway, I used to be able to easily get 19-20 at 65-70 now I am lucky to get 17. Just made 2 runs from DC to PA to NY to DC and PA, averaged 16MPG. The engine feels smoother but WEAK, especially at startup, and it now has a lopey idle. SO today I ordered NGK copper plugs, what I planned originally, but was impatient, and got the Bosch because they were available and cheap. My MISTAKE. I went back through some old logs and files and found a note from 10 years ago stating "NEVER USE THESES again next to a service record on my Autocross GTI. Guess I forgot...........
It irritates me because my plug change goal was to get the champions out and pick up some mileage improvememnt before all this driving.... oh well.....

More to follow.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts

I've experienced the same thing with my NGK Iridiums, but I gapped them to .44" instead of .40", so that might be contributing to the problems. Going to regap them tomorrow and see if I pick up any mileage. If not, I'll swap the Champions back in and return the NGKs when I get back to Denver.

I also wanted to pick up some mileage for my road trip but lost it instead. And now the idle is rougher, but smoother on startup. Hopefully the gapping will help but I'm doubtful.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Interesting read, I'm also a dirt biker and use nothing but NGK in my bikes, never tried them in my hot-rods, typically just use Autolites. I have used Bosch platinums in two different Ford mod engines, seemed to run very well for me, I would also have to agree with the statements about Champion, they are junk, but I did use thier "truck plugs" in my old '91 Chev Z/71 truck, they worked well and seemed to be of higher build quality than the typical Champion plug.
My XK has almost 9K, it could idle a little smoother at this point, something that's changed just recently, I'd like to try something else, probably would have used Bosch, but I'll wait to see your outcome.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I contacted my dealer's service manager and he stated that Champion was bought out by NGK and even though the plugs might say Champion on them they are actually produced by NGK. He recommended unless I'm going with a Platinum or Iridium plug then I'd just be wasting my money replacing the stock Champion with an NGK since it's all the same.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts

Update on my mileage now that I'm heading home. I gapped the Iridiums to .40 before I left Florida. So far, averaging 75 mph with the cruise, I'm getting 16-17 mpg, and about 15-16 with a strong headwind. I still think I got better mileage with the stock plugs, but I'll see how the mileage is going across KS tomorrow. I'll post a full writeup once I get back home.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts

Final report: Getting 15-17 mpg with the Iridiums in mixed driving, so its not much different from the stock plugs. This might improve a little with the Gibson exhaust and non-E10 gas once i get it installed. I'm also running bigger tires and did gap the plugs to .44" as specified on the NGK website and the truck does seem to run smoother and have better pickup.

Opinion: Not much of a difference in the 4.7 other than longevity, so I'd keep the stock plugs in and the $60 in your pocket. An intake and exhaust is a much better enhancement.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Final report: Getting 15-17 mpg with the Iridiums in mixed driving, so its not much different from the stock plugs. This might improve a little with the Gibson exhaust and non-E10 gas once i get it installed. I'm also running bigger tires and did gap the plugs to .44" as specified on the NGK website and the truck does seem to run smoother and have better pickup.

Opinion: Not much of a difference in the 4.7 other than longevity, so I'd keep the stock plugs in and the $60 in your pocket. An intake and exhaust is a much better enhancement.
Are the stock plugs the Champion truck plug (4412), or another plug?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I put the +2's in my PT LOSER, they seem to do pretty good for a cheaper plug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts