Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
09 Commander Limited, 4.7 V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Looking for some help with my 09 commander. To fix my "service 4wd system" warning that came in, my dealer said I had a bad clutch in my transfer case. So I had a local guy put in a used transfer case which seems to have fixed that issue and that warning message is gone.

However...as soon as I start driving, I get the brake, ABS, trac control, and ESP BAS lights on and remain in while driving. They turnoff when I shut the vehicle off. When I restart the Jeep, the light stay off while idling. When I start driving, they only come in and stay on when I get up to maybe 10 mph or more. Doesn't happen in reverse or when using the brake backing down my driveway

The error code that my mechanic read was for a bad ABS module. My question is: could there be an issues with the used transfer case or it's install that would case this code / issue? I just can't believe that the ABS module went bad the two days he had it in his shop. Is there a sensor or something in the transfer case that could trigger this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I never had the transfer worked over. Just one day out of the blue these lights came on. They have done this off and on for at least a couple years at this point, they might not bug me for months then light up. No OBD-II codes ever show up. And as mysteriously as they have appeared, they have disappeared.

I started a thread about it. I've encountered two possible fixes. Mechanics I've taken it to say "change the CPU board," while this forum and other places seem to indicate that the issue is a bad wheel speed sensor. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to change out the wheel speed sensor and see what happens. They're nice and inexpensive (you can get a set of the four for about $65) but they're a pain in the ass to install because you need to remove the wheel and the brakes to get at it. This is the opposite of changing out the controller board, it's anywhere from $250-$350 for a new one but it's a snap to install compared to the wheel speed sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are all the flashes, recalls done ? Had the same thing till the jeep dealer did my recalls updates…. 4 wheel drive needs service message. Other problems could be a bare wire someplace shorting erroneously ……

1 - 3 of 3 Posts