Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I always stopped my XK and went to park and held the ESP switch for five seconds before driving in deep sand ie. North Carolina OBX sand otherwise the the brakes pulsed. check out page 138 at least in my 06 owner's manual. I only see where it turns off esp over 30 mph when you are in 4wd low. Not sure why you you need 4 wd low if you can go that fast. But I only use use my XK for beach driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi guys, resurrecting this post.

With your help I was able to eliminate the traction control applying brakes problem by unplugging the FDCM module under the rear seat. My plan was to take the Jeep to my local mechanic and have him read the codes and check wheel speed sensors. Some other things came up and I have just been driving the Jeep with the module unplugged but last week took the Jeep to the mechanic. He verified that all the wheel speed sensors are working correctly but sadly told me that his diagnostic machine will not allow him to further troubleshoot. I guess my next step is to take it to a Jeep dealer and describe the problem to them and let them go to town with it. My fear is that the result of that could be a very big bill. Are there any further steps that I can take to drill down to a most probable cause or should I just bite the bullet and take to dealer. Thanks again for the help.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Hi guys, resurrecting this post.

With your help I was able to eliminate the traction control applying brakes problem by unplugging the FDCM module under the rear seat. My plan was to take the Jeep to my local mechanic and have him read the codes and check wheel speed sensors. Some other things came up and I have just been driving the Jeep with the module unplugged but last week took the Jeep to the mechanic. He verified that all the wheel speed sensors are working correctly but sadly told me that his diagnostic machine will not allow him to further troubleshoot. I guess my next step is to take it to a Jeep dealer and describe the problem to them and let them go to town with it. My fear is that the result of that could be a very big bill. Are there any further steps that I can take to drill down to a most probable cause or should I just bite the bullet and take to dealer. Thanks again for the help.

Mark
Mark;

The only other suggestion I can make will cost you $90-$95.00 from start to finish (including shipping if you order the ELM327 USB Cable) and that is ordering the Appcar-DiagFCA OBD-II Software;

This software will get you into pretty much everything, including any & all stored codes; It's like a master key for your XK's ECU/PCM and also gives you the ability to turn on & off pretty much all of the features your XK has, including the ability to disable certain systems such as the TPM sensor system among others.

All of the information you need to order it (including the prices) is in the thread link below; It's $49.95 for the software for a single VIN # and another $35.00 or so for the ELM327 USB cable if you want to use a Windows Laptop;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/74613-want-disable-your-tpm-sensors-you-need-appcar-diagfca-obd-ii-software%3B.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mark;

The only other suggestion I can make will cost you $90-$95.00 from start to finish (including shipping if you order the ELM327 USB Cable) and that is ordering the Appcar-DiagFCA OBD-II Software;

This software will get you into pretty much everything, including any & all stored codes; It's like a master key for your XK's ECU/PCM and also gives you the ability to turn on & off pretty much all of the features your XK has, including the ability to disable certain systems such as the TPM sensor system among others.

All of the information you need to order it (including the prices) is in the thread link below; It's $49.95 for the software for a single VIN # and another $35.00 or so for the ELM327 USB cable if you want to use a Windows Laptop;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/74613-want-disable-your-tpm-sensors-you-need-appcar-diagfca-obd-ii-software%3B.html
Good idea there.....I probably will go ahead and do that. It would be good to be able to look at whats going on "behind the curtain"

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mark;

I spent $99 on a BlueDriver scanning module, and this looks like a better option.

You could also just test with a parts FDCM if there's no codes and you're outright stumped. If you're in dire straights for one I might still have my backup...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts