Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing lots and lots of brake dust. Any solutions, besides not using the brakes?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Have it washed before you look at it.:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was pretty bad the day after I hand washed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is one thing that I like, I have not had brake dust build up on my wheels like I have with other vehicles. My buddy rubs something on his rims that gives it a protective coating so that nothing sticks. Might want to research that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know they are the original brakes. I've seen some stuff in the parts store that's supposed to eliminate brake dust, it was pretty expensive but I guess it's worth a try. I also do about 90% city driving so that could be alot of my problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
SupremeCommander said:
Maybe try these:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?D=jeep+brake+dust+shields&Ntt=jeep+brake+dust+shields&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=4294967022+10869&Nty=1&V=1557+4294967022&Vh=2006%20Jeep

I don't have any any problem with brake dust on my Commander but the front wheels of my wife's BMW produce more brake dust than any vehicle I have ever seen. I was thinking of trying these on her car because they are perpetually coated in black dust.
Supreme, you couldn't be any more right to say about your wife's BMW. I have both my BMW E90 and the wife's Audi A4 Quattro, and BOTH produce quite a buildup of brake dust, even after getting it almost completely washed, and driving it for a day.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmmmm, my wife's Mini Cooper has problem with brake dust accumulating quickly, but my Commander does not. Aside from the obvious differences, one of them is, she has cast aluminum wheels, and I got the chrome wheels on the Commander.

It just doesnt seem to stick to mine, I wonder if there is any correlation?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Guys, for what it's worth I don't think the dust shields will effect the heat dissipation (from the rotor) at all. Think of all the air that is already flowing over the brakes as your driving. In addtion, this is no race car, how much heat are you really going to build up. There may be some if your 4-wheelling and you ride your brakes I guess. So yes, a small amount of heat will be deflected back when it tries to leave the rotor (in the direction of the shield), but this is minimal in the big scheme of things...

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Nitro Express said:
Guys, for what it's worth I don't think the dust shields will effect the heat dissipation (from the rotor) at all. Think of all the air that is already flowing over the brakes as your driving. In addtion, this is no race car, how much heat are you really going to build up. There may be some if your 4-wheelling and you ride your brakes I guess. So yes, a small amount of heat will be deflected back when it tries to leave the rotor (in the direction of the shield), but this is minimal in the big scheme of things...
Brake dust shields HAVE been proven to cause brake over heating on regular passenger cars. Some shields are designed better than others.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your right, after googling it, there seems to be the possibility of over-heating the rotors during hard driving. Wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wheel Wax. Nothing is going to stop the brake dust, but it will make it much much easier to clean. I put two coats on my G35x and FX35 awd wheels. When they were dity with brake dust or simple road grime clean up was easy as a quick spray with the hose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts